TOYS! Wasted time??

OMG that Dad'z Custom is crazy!! I love the deep dish steel wheels, and the neg camber!! Wonder if he's in Japan, cuz that's one of those style trends over there. Can't remember the name.........

Ratwagon, I'm gonna copy you..........that Ute looks cool as hell! You know that we never got any of the Ute's here in the States? I think JB Weld might be my new best friend!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Copy away :)

I'm really happy how it looks so far ! (how handy are bead blast cabinets !)

I bought two cars yesterday with what we call stepside beds on them.

Was thinking of grafting one of the beds to the 510 shell but that's probably a bit ambitious at the moment.

b62e65939ca9049be2e8409bb73ee015.jpg

Beebani, thanks for the link !

Now all I need to do is work out how to do a goon.

This has been a long term project, that I started about 2 years ago! It is based off of the Revell kit, a combo of the original BRE kit, and the later purple street car version, cuz the street car version had a full interior, which I needed for this build. The model is a replica of my old buddy's 510 pro rally car, that he ran in the early-mid 80's, sponsored by Red Roof Inns (a big hotel chain here in the States). The ignition wires are made from yellow thread, the wire harness is made from black thread and runs all the way to the trunk, the seat belts are made from simple construction paper made red with a magic marker, the buckles are thin plastic pieces painted silver, etc etc. Okayfine (Julian) on the510realm helped me make the decals on the computer, and I simply printed them on blank decal paper, available at any good hobby shop. I'll get it done one of these days! Eric passed away in 2008 from cancer, and we all miss him terribly. :sleep:

The last pic is of the actual rally car in early 2008, and its grossly unfortunate demise, just before Eric passed. I took that pic, but it simply did not hit me at the time, how significant that beat-to-hell body shell was! I stopped in to see Eric while on a road trip, and only had 2 hrs to hang out. I kept looking at it while I was there, but I didn't stop him from scraping it. I kick myself every time I think about it, but it is long gone now................

redroof1.jpg

redroof2.jpg

redroof3.jpg

redroof4.jpg

riverside7.jpg

A little off topic here, but after posting the model build, I went back to read my post on the510realm, from 2008. It's a good read..............

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10484&hilit=eric+jones

I just met up with Eric's widow, Susan, and his business partner Bob, a few weeks ago, and we laughed & reminised about Eric! Good times. :thumbup:

Here's a pic of the car, as Eric raced it. Sorry, I have few pics, and the ones I have are small. Hard to believe it's the same car, but he had sold it in the late 80's, the next owners painted it, then rolled it to smitherines. Eric bought it back for parts, but never ressurected it..............

RedRoofInn5104.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a long term project, that I started about 2 years ago! It is based off of the Revell kit, a combo of the original BRE kit, and the later purple street car version, cuz the street car version had a full interior, which I needed for this build. The model is a replica of my old buddy's 510 pro rally car, that he ran in the early-mid 80's, sponsored by Red Roof Inns (a big hotel chain here in the States). The ignition wires are made from yellow thread, the wire harness is made from black thread and runs all the way to the trunk, the seat belts are made from simple construction paper made red with a magic marker, the buckles are thin plastic pieces painted silver, etc etc. Okayfine (Julian) on the510realm helped me make the decals on the computer, and I simply printed them on blank decal paper, available at any good hobby shop. I'll get it done one of these days! Eric passed away in 2008 from cancer, and we all miss him terribly. :sleep:

The last pic is of the actual rally car in early 2008, and its grossly unfortunate demise, just before Eric passed. I took that pic, but it simply did not hit me at the time, how significant that beat-to-hell body shell was! I stopped in to see Eric while on a road trip, and only had 2 hrs to hang out. I kept looking at it while I was there, but I didn't stop him from scraping it. I kick myself every time I think about it, but it is long gone now................

redroof2.jpg

great attention to detail man i wish i hadnt lost my 510 kit in the move i was making it the ultimate rat, different colored body panels, surface rust everything untill you pop the hood and it was awesome but its gone now :(

Thanks guys. Yeah that color was one i had just laying around but i like it so much on there that i might do my car that color. Seriously fu drip rails. Lol. After i finished it i noticed how much it resembles the car at the top of the screen. Oops. Those wheels came off of a boulevard series triumph tr6 if you're looking for some. They have rubber tires too.

Oh, and yes that is one badass model kit you have going there.

ive got one of those pete brock revel kits on the shelf. one day ill get to it, paid 45 bucks at specialty shop for it. i plan on ratting it the fuck out. considered slanting the roof to coupe status and rhd'ing but im not sure. dont wanna ruin it in the process and end up with nothing....

ive got one of those pete brock revel kits on the shelf. one day ill get to it, paid 45 bucks at specialty shop for it. i plan on ratting it the fuck out. considered slanting the roof to coupe status and rhd'ing but im not sure. dont wanna ruin it in the process and end up with nothing....

Like this?

aaef7325458093ccbdb5dc6313499ce7.jpg

94fe783e06955738f1e3c83dca4ff0c7.jpg

I unearthed this today, can't believe the timing!, you post about a BRE 510 and I find this in one of my cupboards.

Looks like I started this one a while ago. Going to do it to original spec per the box.

.what have you gotten me into!!??

510ute4WD.jpg

Ha Ha, I'd like to think I've infected your mind with some good ideas.

Funny you should post this as I haven't touched my ute project till yesterday.

Made a rear bed cover and window out of Perspex and glued them in.

Was going to try and make a contoured section for the bed, it just got too hard.

A bit of filler for the rough bits and today's mission is to paint the body.

I like the high rise look, very cool!

467e67f46de846e8c1be6d614d3cba7c.jpg

Lookin' great, I like the "tonneau" idea! I have been searching for a Matchbox or Hot Wheels pickup truck to cut the bed out of, but no luck so far. I can't find another one of that late 40's Hot Rod Pickup that I did for my buddy (see previous post)!

Lookin' great Ratwagon!

I found a Holden SSV Ute (odd cuz we never got Holden here in the USA), made by Matchbox, with a plastic rear inner bed. Sorry, I was so excited about it, that I immediately cut it up, so no pic of the Ute!! Anyway, to my astonishment, once I cut the forward interior off, the bed actually fit up inside the 510.........width & length!! :rofl: Still lots of l'il trimming to do, but so far it's almost like it was made for this!! :w00t: More later...........