bought one. sight unseen. Pa. UPDATED WITH PICS

cyborgben

hi all, i just bought a 69 - i think. i haven't seen it yet, nor paid, but i told the po i would be out on tues.

i just trusted him on the phone - in his fifties does the work himself, owns a vatiety of vehicles, and just needed to make some room. he doesnt know how to post pics, so totally in the dark.

described as:

original paint - now pink

runs, drives, stops. runs it once a month to keep it loose.

no rust needing panel repair ( amazing here in the road salt capital of the world)

also comes with a complete parts truck except for cab and frame filling the bed (including washer bag and nice bed)

bought it as a project for my son and me.

assuming as described. do these trucks have a value as survivors? should i try to keep it "original?"

anybody else in Pa? especially south and east?

thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think he'll hold it til Tuesday? If it's anything like the west coast(I would think even more so over there), you may think twice about waiting until Tuesday.. if someone else called him or showed up with money in hand, you could be out of luck. Ya gotta be aggressive when it comes to claiming your Datsuns! Until money has changed hands, and you have the title and keys, you haven't bought anything.

• Like 3

I have never seen it - or even pics. if i get it, i will post them. I do think he will hold it, he just seems like that kind of guy. i offered to put a check in the mail yesterday. Pa can get pretty open, he is about 60 miles from the closest town of any size, out in Amish country (they dont drive....)and even that town is not something you would have heard of unless you live here.

now you guys have me worried. however, these are so rare here due to rust, and anti asian sentiment (especially in the 60s) that there is very little following in some areas.

maybe loose is on my mind - i am playing nurse to my wife who has had an acute intestinal infection for 3 days....

well, i own my first real datsun. (my previous 720 was really only 1/3 datsun, 1/3 rust, and 1/3 reading and i never really drove it or loved it like i should have.)

I cant seem the get the truck pics to load onto photobucket, but i will try a different method tomorrow.

it was not as nice as i dreamed, but not as bad as i feared, there cant be too many of these left in pa...(anyone else in the western half of Pa?)

thinking about these wheels- 15x8 nice deep offset, retro feel. What do you all think?

Is there anyone one here who can help a nonphotoshop person put these onto a redish, to be lowered 521?

wheels.jpg

thanks.

Hey there, I'm near Breezewood, PA which is south central. I have a 72 521 but they are not very plentiful in these parts. I have never driven mine in the winter and it still rusts from being outside...I had it on ebay the other day but just couldn't let it go so I ended the auction early before I got any bids...my wife is so awesome! In the process of collecting some parts (I need a drivers door and front fender...see wtb in classifieds) and going to get it back on the road before winter.

tw, i will check my pm. as far as selling parts, i may be willing, but i really need to figure out what i need and what direction i am going in.... rattty, resto, cheap as possible beater.... not sure yet

again, thanks everyone for a supportive forum.

oh, also, there were 2 sets of turbine style wheels on pgh craigslist. 4 15x8 western for 250, and 5 15x10 probably western with truck tires for 150.

fyi

i called about the 10s and had him measure them with a ruler, i think that they are 0 offset... just too much work for me right now.

mr big, sorry for the delay. I have been selling off several other cars and buying some online parts and all of my computer time has been eaten up....

I will try to get some tonight.

However, before I do, I need proof that you're are large, male, own/drive large liquid holding vehicles, live in Cali, own an a4 avant, trailblazer ss, taco, a recent pay stub from the refinery, a pic in your firefighter hat, a birth certificate, and a decent front double bi or proof of a powelifting total over 1400 in a sanctioned event....

oh, nevermind, I will just take your word for it and send the pics... B)

wow, i just re-read this and i sound kind of snippy. sorry. i have had a crushing headache all day, and didn't like the idea of having my post deleted...

mr. big - you are right, it is kinda lame without pics, but deletion is maybe a little harsh...

• Like 1

you guys are so kind. "not a fan of those mirrors" must be the kindest way to say that! And no comments on the bug shield? This rig must have been set up for towing something!?

"the datsun to get" is the only non-z that has been for sale in 6mos.within 100miles of me!

it is a little rough in places, but does run and drive, so what my plans are is up in the air. I think a full resto is out of the question. but a little lower, wider, and cleaner is in the immediate future.

What would you guys do?

I am assuming it is the 1.6?

Hmm... it has the '69 round reflectors and the 1970-72 "Datsun 1600" fender badges. What's the Chassis Serial Number (AKA VIN)? It could be a really early '70 built in 1969.

That bed rust is pretty severe... looks like someone left a load of leaves in it to rot, and it rotted right out the sides. But it could just be salt spray from underneath. Check the frame over well. Northern East Coast Datsuns never lived long.

I would probably do a complete brake system overhaul. i.e. new everything. get the motor to factory spec, like check the timing, valve lash etc. drop a weber on there. flush all the fluids. 4 in. blocks in the rear and re-index torsion bars 1 spline. i could go on, but this would be the first things i would do. since you asked. have fun with it. :thumbup:

oh, and buff it out with some of this

tr3resinglaze.png