what brand/model camera do you use?

i'm going to buy a new camera in the $120-200 range sometime and want some opinions on what you use. cost, megapixels, and video format.

i'm most interested in knowing what video format you use cause at the stores it doesnt say on the camera spec tag or on the camera box. wtf? thats one of the most important details.

i prefer media player over quicktime. i like the camera i have except it uses quick time and is sucking down batteries like no tomorrow. i have a kodak c743 7.1 megapixels. 2.4 inch display.

i dont care for the super slim ones i want to be able to actually hold it in my hand and i noticed most if not all the brands have a sloppy function knob. so far the kodaks have the best function knobs, very snug tolerances.

watcha got?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for reviews I'd recomend checking out dpreview.com. It can get pretty technical but you can basicly see every feature of the cameras they review.

Overall what do you use your camera for? Are you really in to adjusting your pictures and want high quality shots out of your camera? Or do you just want some pretty decent shots of the family and trips?

I've enjoyed the Sony cameras, they are all set up the same so its pretty easy to jump from one sony to the other. Picture quality is pretty good. My dad is a pretty point and shoot guy (comming from a high end film nikon) and enjoys the nice pictures and how easy the cameras are to use.

Just don't focus on the size of the screen and the megapixels. There are a lot more important things than that. Worry about how easy it'll be to use and if it is going to work for you.

I personally have never messed with video recording on a camera (90% of the time its going to suck vs. a video camera).

One thing I will say is make sure the camera comes with a charger for rechargable batteries. I personally don't like using normal batteries for cameras since for some reason they always just drain after two shots.

Probably not very helpful, but I have a Canon 30D. My point n shoot before that was a Canon S2 IS, which I would say is the best p&s camera I've ever used (or seen) until the shutter died : Tons of features, big glass for a p&s, and pretty sweet video capture as well. I'd still use it today if the shutter hadn't got sticky and eventually stuck shut. There are newer versions out now...not sure if they kept up the cool features or dumbed it down, but I'd check it out. Megapixels don't mean jack if you have a crappy sensor or crappy/small glass. I abused the hell out of it, too...into the grand canyon, all over costa rica, and some long hikes and a kayak trip in kauai. I think all Canons record AVI (MJPG) which I much prefer over the alternatives, and canon also doesn't use any lame memory card formats. The video record length was also only limited by the size of your memory card. I had a 2gig that I think I could have recorded like 30 minutes onto.

Here's a link to a video I took with the S2:

http://noobing.com/costarica/MVI_3181.wmv

Battery life was also awesome using 4x AA rechargeable nimh's. Personally I liked that it used AA's so I could always get some if necessary. I think the most I ever carried were 8 total and that usually let me take at least 500-600 shots (daytime, no flash).

yeah i've been looking at some reviews and my camera and am surprised it's at the bottom of the line. although i think it takes great pics and video. i dont want to defend my camera here too much but it does have the words review, menu, and delete instead a trash can symbol ect. but your right if its easy to use thats what i want i read that the canon function wheels are hard to navigate and some of the settings are so called hidden deep in the menu.

i'm just looking for a nice basic point and shoot. with video. actually it takes great video. unlike all the youtube vids i see with camera phones. ugh.

i have xp media center edition on my computer and always liked media player instead of quicktime/flash player. i just hate to think i have to look at every brand/model at the store then come home and review if they have wmv.

Sony Cybershot DSC-S500. All the way. Of course mine is far outdated, Cybershot is the name of the camera thats always been great for me.

Tried Olympus, but the grainy pictures are a jaw-dropper for such a 'high end' digicam.

I have a Kodak camera. I bought it for $100 about 3 years ago and it still works great.

If you have a chance to use a camera, get one that takes the picture fast. The delay after you hit the button is annoying. Usually the more expensive cameras are quick.

Sony Cybershot DSC-S500. All the way. Of course mine is far outdated, Cybershot is the name of the camera thats always been great for me.

Tried Olympus, but the grainy pictures are a jaw-dropper for such a 'high end' digicam.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T200 to replace the 500 I used to have. The memory card swapped right in from the old one. and will hold 350-450 pictures from a vacation. Has macro and super macro, 'cause I hate blurry cell phone pics. 8.1 meg, facial recognition softwear built in, it can also recognise a smile and shoots it. LCD touch screen, trim pictures in camera. Auto and manual modes, on and on. I have only learned 1/4 of the functions... mayby.

yeah i've been looking at some reviews and my camera and am surprised it's at the bottom of the line. although i think it takes great pics and video. i dont want to defend my camera here too much but it does have the words review, menu, and delete instead a trash can symbol ect. but your right if its easy to use thats what i want i read that the canon function wheels are hard to navigate and some of the settings are so called hidden deep in the menu.

i'm just looking for a nice basic point and shoot. with video. actually it takes great video. unlike all the youtube vids i see with camera phones. ugh.

i have xp media center edition on my computer and always liked media player instead of quicktime/flash player. i just hate to think i have to look at every brand/model at the store then come home and review if they have wmv.

I recomend some of the sony cameras since they've been pretty impressive on the low end of the scale and they tend to be in the $100-200 range. It might also be good to look at the models made by the company that made your current camera. Most of the time they keep the menus/functions pretty similar with a few adjustments. So it might take less time to get used to it.

I personally use a Sony DSC-S85. Which by today's standards pretty ancient. At the time it was fairly high end and has an amazing amount of customization for the shot. Only thing it is missing is a removable lens and i'd keeping using it for a long time. It'll do till I can get my Nikon D80. :D

Despite its age I have taken some fairly amazing shots with it. I believe 4-5 of the shots have been in the past three DQ calendars.

Unofortunately this model takes horrible video and these days you can't find a decent compatable memory card. It had this really clean HD video mode but for some strange reason they limit it to only 15 seconds of recording! WHY?? If that was allowed to run like a normal video it would have near perfect video recording quality. Oh well...

Most cameras these days are going to take amazing pictures with out any effort, its just the people who are picky about their work that will shoot a camera down for its picture taking ability while the average joe possibly won't ever have an issue.

For quick and dirty shots I have a Nikon S200 7.1MP. It's the camera I ALWAYS have on me since it's small and has a nice little case with magnetic flip on it. Comes in real handy. I got it for $150 brand new.

Nikon_Coolpix_S200.jpg

For nice quality pictures I bust out the Canon Rebel Xti DSLR 10.1MP camera. It's large and you have to actually hold it to your eye (can't use the screen to set your picture up) but man what a difference in quality. It's more on the pricey side but boy will you be happy you have one of these for any special occasion where you know you want great pictures. Just don't be surprised when everyone bugs you to take their Christmas pictures.

rebel-canon-xti.jpg

I also have a cybershot, i have never had any problems with it. its a little bit old like a year. but it works great. a recharable battery that comes witht the camera and last's me all day in use or a cpuple days with ust a little bit of use.

I simplified this because there areothers that recomend the same camera and I am just agreeing.

I have also dropped mine and have been rough with it [i am a skate boarder and photo shoots can be a little hard on cameras.] and still it works great.

I just got myself a Nikon D60. not exactly a point and shoot but I really wanted a nice digital that I couold really do alot with. I have a lot to learn

but so far it's been really fun to play with it.

Damon

I just got myself a Nikon D60. not exactly a point and shoot but I really wanted a nice digital that I couold really do alot with. I have a lot to learn

but so far it's been really fun to play with it.

Damon

I just saw a commercial for that, does that one have the internal motor? or does it need the lens to have the motor in it?

I would rather not have to spend all the money on a D80 if the D60 would work.

fuji finepix S3000. its a good camera all in all. would like to have voice capture ont he video part but meh... whatever. 3.1mp and a 1 gig XD card adn i am set. a;; in all i like it. if i am not using that i am using an OLD Canon AE1. the digi ran me a couple hundred a few years ago... something like 5 yrs. its due for an upgrade but for n ow it works.

I don't believe it will auto focus with older lenses. But for me that wasn't an

issue. I don't have any older lenses and it is a good entry level camera.

it came with an 18-55mm lense and a 55-200mm lense. and a case and memory card. bought it at Costco.

Damon

i'm going to buy a new camera in the $120-200 range sometime and want some opinions on what you use. cost, megapixels, and video format.

i'm most interested in knowing what video format you use cause at the stores it doesnt say on the camera spec tag or on the camera box. wtf? thats one of the most important details.

i prefer media player over quicktime. i like the camera i have except it uses quick time and is sucking down batteries like no tomorrow. i have a kodak c743 7.1 megapixels. 2.4 inch display.

i dont care for the super slim ones i want to be able to actually hold it in my hand and i noticed most if not all the brands have a sloppy function knob. so far the kodaks have the best function knobs, very snug tolerances.

watcha got?

had the same problem, needed a good camera but did have the funds, HAHA But I asked the same thing at another board. I went with the Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 Megapixels it cost me about 240 with the extended warranty and all the other crap. But you'll find them on ebay cheap.

Check it out this is a 1/64 Scale car

DSC03364.jpg

DSC03367.jpg