Wanted: L20 flex plate Spacers for automatic

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit it was quite a bit disheartening to see that they were different sizes. My engine is giving me some trouble so I'm thinking a swap should happen sooner than later. Really hoping to find a set of L20 spacers (prior to the Winter, but thanks DAT510) so I can make this L20 swap happen.

Everyone hates autos... How is a set not just hanging out in a box in someone's garage?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would still bet on them being identical, just 6 bolt instead. I mean, the only thing possibly changing, thickness of flexplate, and how far out the crank is from the back of the block. I doubt the crank sticks out any farther. And flexplates, well I have seen enough discussion about flywheels to think there is a valid chance of a different thickness of flexplate...

The only reason I don't want to chance them being the same size is I will be doing the swap over an hour from where I can make the spacers. So if they don't work, I can't just run up and make a new size. I would be stuck in that garage...

If I was swapping near work/home I would just say fuck it and take my chances.

The spacer and or flex plate register are the same thickness, the reason you have the spacer on the auto tranys is to center the flex plate. As you would notice on the flywheel for manual transmissions the flywheel centers on the outside of the crank, this would be impossible to do with a flex plate due to its thickness so Datsun/Nissan use this spacer that also centers on the outside but has a nipple in the center to center the flex plate. The crank bolts do not center the flywheel or flex plate.

The other thing to consider is the fact that there are only two starters (which for the most part are the same) for either auto or manual transmission, direct drive or gear reduction that said the starter drive is the same depth on both starters. This spacer places the flex plate and ring gear the right distance from the back of the crank for proper starter drive engagement. This is true for both the 5 bolt cranks and 6 bolt cranks, as all starters are interchangeable for all L-Series motors, This also means that flywheels and flex plates all have the same outside diameter.

Not true

I love my Datto's with automatic trans.

Will take picture and measurement when I get home.

spacer is out of a L20B 6 bolt.

Let me know if you don't need it anymore.

Everyone hates autos... How is a set not just hanging out in a box in someone's garage?!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.