Rusty ass muffler fell off.

KhausticMess

So yeah my rusted ass muffler finally fell off on my way home from a job interview, atleast I start a new job on monday. Gonna be saving up for headers and new muffler and whatnot. It came off right about where the cab ends, you can't see it in the photo.

Z22 and I already have a Weber Carb.

Should I spend the extra money on Doug Thorley headers?

Any recommendations on muffler?

Anything else I need ?

I am slowly replacing things as I can afford them with upgrades any additional info you guys need that would help with recommendations?

I also have a small leak you can see it in the photo, should I be worried ?

...and a pic so you can laugh.

179525_4046891504389_634322258_n1.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm Yeah I cut my muffler system out, and want to get a new system after I have more money :devil:

And with that leak you don't need to worry about it because its like at the end of the pipe anyway, I can't figure out the 2 pipes :confused:

It busted where the clamp held it up and the weight of that busted it by the cab on the way home. the leak is the wet spot on the rear axle ...? not sure what else to call that part its where the driveline meets up with the axle.

I still have everything but its all so rusted that it's pointless to salvage.

Truck was used on a small farm for most of its life and not very well taken care of.

• 2 weeks later...

It's designed to use a 1/2 ratchet or Johnson bar (without socket on it) The bottom one is for draining it and it has a magnet on it to collect chips and filings. If you have never changed the oil it's time you did. For now remove the one half way up to check the level. Reach in and you should be easily able to touch the oil with the tip of your little finger. It should be up level with the hole opening.

Should I spend the extra money on Doug Thorley headers?

Any recommendations on muffler?

Anything else I need ?

I am slowly replacing things as I can afford them with upgrades any additional info you guys need that would help with recommendations?

I also have a small leak you can see it in the photo, should I be worried ?

...and a pic so you can laugh.

179525_4046891504389_634322258_n1.jpg

Gawd no don't waste a penny on a header.

Headers are noisy. Sure at first they sound cool but it wears off quick and then it's just a noisy pain in the ass to have and no way to tone it down. Worst of all you paid for it to be this way.

You might gain 3-4 hp (not really enough to feel) above 4,000 RPMs (where you don't drive much) which works out to $50 per hp. A poor return on investment.

Unless you spend the bucks and get ceramic coatings it's going to rust and it isn't going to last for ever. Just look at the pipe in your picture. Now go look at that cast iron manifold on the engine. It's over 30 years old and look just like the day it was driven off the line.

Headers come loose, don't always fit right, they can leak, and they have more surface area so radiate more heat under the hood and floor.

Instead spend the money on a good exhaust pipe and muffler that will last you. Have a system custom bent using a pipe that is 1/4" larger diameter and fits a larger than stock muffler. Or get a stock system if cheaper, you won't notice the difference anyway.

It's designed to use a 1/2 ratchet or Johnson bar (without socket on it) The bottom one is for draining it and it has a magnet on it to collect chips and filings. If you have never changed the oil it's time you did. For now remove the one half way up to check the level. Reach in and you should be easily able to touch the oil with the tip of your little finger. It should be up level with the hole opening.

do it on level ground too

After getting up there in age myself I would just up size the pipe to 2in and run a quiet muffler.

Use aluminized pipe not the cheaper steel stuff.

Maybe gewt a Dynomax turbo muffler. or a cheery bomb turbo 2 muffler with a smal case.

Headers dont even worry about it. If you have to save up already your already on the edge of being broke. Worry about more pressing issue whith your truck. Its old it will break soon enough,save the money for that

It definetely looked to be a 1/2" breaker bar would work its just a simple square inset slot on the head, but its larger than 1/2 by a few milimeters and way smaller than 3/4" I'm assuming metric of some size, just haven't been paid yet at my new job soon as I get paid I'm gonna tackle the leak, possibly the muffler, but I may wait on that.

Yup, when money is tight you have to prioritize. A ticket for faulty muffler is counter productive. Safety related things like brakes, tires and steering come first. I've removed many a diff or tranny bung using a 1/2" ratchet so it does come off. Push in hard when turning. I also have a short piece of pipe to slip over the handle to increase leverage.

Yup, when money is tight you have to prioritize. A ticket for faulty muffler is counter productive. Safety related things like brakes, tires and steering come first. I've removed many a diff or tranny bung using a 1/2" ratchet so it does come off. Push in hard when turning. I also have a short piece of pipe to slip over the handle to increase leverage.

Yeah totally agree