Possible Fusible Link Problem

just spent friggin 40 somethin dollars on new ignition coils...didnt solve the problem.

truck will run for a few minutes, then die. truck has no power at all. then it will start chiming again, i can then start it again, and it will yet again die. a few seconds later the chime starts and the process just keeps going in this obnoxious fuggin circle.

is this an issue with the link?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no points after '78. All were EI ignition. The Z24 has dual plug design with two coils.

To be clear when it quits you can't crank the motor over????

Chimes? Is this like an ignition chime when the key is put in?

are you refffering to a noisy relay or courtesy ign chime ? ignition relay/efi relay (if applicable... edit prob not) /fuel pump and relay

*check contacts

*check continuity

*check for ign harness power

clean and test battery cables/engine grounds. yup can do exactly this. If not replaced in a while it is cheap insurance.

check for a shorted wire

ignition module have clean contacting surface and tests ok via FSM or DATSUN BIBLE ?

check fuel bowl level and rule out clogged jets.

rule out a sunken float if rich running conditon creeps up on you with no adjustments.

check for blocked cat/muffler.

fuel pressure check

rule out a bad ign switch.(hail mary)

need more descriptive info on what has and has not been tested ;) *

haha, you check the points dwell with a dwell meter. They are small and inexpensive.

But a 720 does not have points, so forget about it.

To clarify you say the engine dies, not the whole truck. But you also said "truck has no power at all. then it will start chiming again". It's a little confusing.

Yes, that could be a loose wiring connection at the Fusible Link. Not a "bad" link, but a bad connection. Remove the link and clean the terminals. Use a screwdrive to scrap the ends to bare metal. Put back in.

What no FSM will tell you about the 720 fuel pump relay>>>

http://dlarson.hubpa...l-Wont-Tell-You

Wow thats pretty crazy, its not even in the wiring diagram? I can only imagine how many people have beat there heads against the wall trying to figure an issue with that out.

are you refffering to a noisy relay or courtesy ign chime ? ignition relay/efi relay (if applicable... edit prob not) /fuel pump and relay

*check contacts

*check continuity

*check for ign harness power

clean and test battery cables/engine grounds. yup can do exactly this. If not replaced in a while it is cheap insurance.

check for a shorted wire

ignition module have clean contacting surface and tests ok via FSM or DATSUN BIBLE ?

check fuel bowl level and rule out clogged jets.

rule out a sunken float if rich running conditon creeps up on you with no adjustments.

check for blocked cat/muffler.

fuel pressure check

rule out a bad ign switch.(hail mary)

need more descriptive info on what has and has not been tested ;) *

it is electrical not fuel related. it will not choke out like fuel deprivation but instead just die. all electrical goes out.

haha, you check the points dwell with a dwell meter. They are small and inexpensive.

But a 720 does not have points, so forget about it.

To clarify you say the engine dies, not the whole truck. But you also said "truck has no power at all. then it will start chiming again". It's a little confusing.

Yes, that could be a loose wiring connection at the Fusible Link. Not a "bad" link, but a bad connection. Remove the link and clean the terminals. Use a screwdrive to scrap the ends to bare metal. Put back in.

i cannot find the link.

hey guys so i still cant find this fucking link and i really need my truck. kinda broke so i cant go out an buy a fuckin manual and all the onther forums say "find the black and green wire" well guess waht there is no black and green wire, i have been looking for this goddamned thing for 3 days strait.

i dont see how what ive said has been confusing. the truck will run for a while, then die completely meaning all electrical cuts out and motor dies, then a few minutes later the ign chime starts up again and i can start the truck, then it dies with in seconds, few seconds later the chime comes back, and it just goes in this fuckin circle. i cant drive it like this and i kinda need it. so if this discription is not clear enough then idfk what to do other than scrap the fucking thing and save up for a new truck. which really is not an option at this point.

my coils were going out. one was leaking. anyway i found where the link should have been. the guy that owned this truck before took it out and wrapped everything to the main wire and taped it up. basically hardwired everything in a very shitty way.

read my build thread on the car. that will answer your question.

FSMs are $5 to $25 on eBay. I have never paid more than $5 and I have more than dozen various Datsun factory service manuals. Keep watching ebay and you will eventually find a bargain.

Anyways...

85 720
The earlier 720 for sure has a POS battery cable with two wires, both a large wire and a small one come out of the cable terminal. A previous owner may have replaced it with a generic cable and threw away the Fusible Link. Which won't cause any starting problems (but does not protect your harness from catching fire like the Fusible Link does).

What I would do now is carefully service the battery cables. Click battery maintenance. If the connections are not cleaned to bare metal, your symptoms can occur. Or just scrap the whole truck, it doesn't matter to me.

i have redone the wires on the harness, there was no link, it was taken out by previous owner. ive checked the baseplate in the distributor tho electric ignition just to be sure, nothing, ive checked the stupid little maf looking thing, i even unplugged it, nothing, the onlything i have left to do is the fuel pump relay.

but as you can see from this post, everything so far has not worked. there fore this thread has been no help to me.