Sohc ka ---->79 210

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea but that's too low.

Stock sohc KA's compression ratio is 8.6:1 (9.1:1 for early 1989 240SX), Which is perfect for boost already.

KA-E's are "flat top" pistons, DE's are -5cc dish factory (I think)

Let OP chime in, may have been a good deal on the DE slugs or something. Just seems like a bad idea to go that low. You lose quench area and lots of effeciency that aren't going to be made up with boost.

I had the hardest time finding anything for a rear end that was drop in, even looking a couple states away in mass, so Im gonna run the stock diff for now with 13s and leave it open. but im hopefully gonna score a mustang 8.8 from a buddy of mine eventually. until then its one tire smokeshows haha.

So yours is welded? how long has it lasted being welded and how much have you beat it? Im interested in knowing how long it would last, I think ka power wouldnt make a difference unless I was launching it. sliding around theres way less load on it than gripping.

Early 200sx rear.

Bolt in. Discs.

'80-'81 S110 (200sx) had H-165 with disc. '82-'83 S110 had H-190 with disc. Both were coil and 4 link... I'd go with the later S110.

Yea got the engine and tranny originally for 100 bucks, pulled it apart and lo and behold, had .50 over arias pistons in it, honed it, re ringed it, and bearings so I have 300 ish into the motor. never really thought about it til recently but theyre for 8.8:1 in a dual cam as per the invoice I got from the serial number. so yea they are a bit low in a sohc and I could probably benefit from shaving the head eventually to up it a bit more. It rips pretty well regardless, and Im also running 25 deg ignition instead of 15 but I think I can get away with that. at least she will never have knock issues haha.

planning on running plenty of boost through this so whos counting right? =)

So according to this comp ratio calc id have to have the head shaved 4 mm to make it 8.8:1. (did this by just subtracting what Id hypothetically shave from where you input head gasket height.)

It runs well as is but if I ever have the head off and if a shop would shave it that much would that affect my chain length on the non tension side, and the length of head bolts? could always go with arps anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

yeah haha. she hasnt broken yet, didnt break with ka swap and hasnt broken yet with boost, and Ive been pounding it. running 185 60 14s which arent huge but its holding up. clutch has been slipping a lil though lately so Ive got a spec stage 3 clutch and 12 lb flywheel that im gonna get in sometime. dont get me wrong, Im hoping to get a ford 9 in it soon but after hearing that the stock diff couldnt take any torque or abuse atleast with mine its been great ever since I got the ka in and started beating it and launching it