It's a love/hate thing...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

240z headlight switches are nortorious for getting hot/stop working. ( they can be carefully repaired/soldered)

I simply wired in a relay and a manual toggle switch for my headlights to bypass my burned out headlight switch circuit. Works great. Some might boo me but at the time = low budget lol. I have more pressing issues to focus on still ( I do have to fix that)

Fuse boxes on these cars are shit as well ( as you know)

Break out a test light or multi-meter and check power to the switch first. Then check fuse box/relays if neccessary.

Usually the power wire harness connection has/is getting hot ... ( literally melted or burnt)

I believe Dave in washingtoñ makes relay kits for both headlight and running lights to help take the load off the switch ( I'm not entirely sure how this is acheived)

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what pump are you running? I can't help with the OEM unit as I don't know anything about Zs, but I'd it's an aftermarket piece, make sure it's pushing your fuel and not pulling it. I've noriced that most like to be very close to the tank push fuel through the lines instead of pulling it through. If its working overtime and belligerently hot down there... It might be over heating.

240z headlight switches are nortorious for getting hot/stop working. ( they can be carefully repaired/soldered)

I simply wired in a relay and a manual toggle switch for my headlights to bypass my burned out headlight switch circuit. Works great. Some might boo me but at the time = low budget lol. I have more pressing issues to focus on still ( I do have to fix that)

Fuse boxes on these cars are shit as well ( as you know)

Break out a test light or multi-meter and check power to the switch first. Then check fuse box/relays if neccessary.

Usually the power wire harness connection has/is getting hot ... ( literally melted or burnt)

I believe Dave in washingtoñ makes relay kits for both headlight and running lights to help take the load off the switch ( I'm not entirely sure how this is acheived)

280z btw, and everything is LITERALLY melted to shit. One wire is bare copper.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what pump are you running? I can't help with the OEM unit as I don't know anything about Zs, but I'd it's an aftermarket piece, make sure it's pushing your fuel and not pulling it. I've noriced that most like to be very close to the tank push fuel through the lines instead of pulling it through. If its working overtime and belligerently hot down there... It might be over heating.

It's just the stock pump, but it only happens when I get low on gas. I just filled it this morning, no issues all day, and I've had a pretty shitty day so I've been riding it hard all over the place.

It's just the stock pump, but it only happens when I get low on gas. I just filled it this morning, no issues all day, and I've had a pretty shitty day so I've been riding it hard all over the place.

Then I'd stop running your car til you fix all that wiring or you really will have a smoking hot ride! As for the fuel, a number of things, (besides what everyone has suggested) I drove a 1967 dodge charger back in high school. (I know not a datsun but it was fun has hell to drive) In the Texas summer heat, the car would starve for fuel and shut down if I stopped and would not start back up til I let the motor cool down. Your problem could be a case of vapor lock and or trash in the tank. Checking your vent lines and fuel pump to see if anything is clogged shouldn't be too big of a deal. Maybe drop the tank and clean it? That's my 2cents anyways. Hope ya figure it out and keep up with the pics.

Yup. Theory stays the same. 280z and zx's have similiar to same switch problems I have noticed. ( not as bad .. maybe age? )

Ouch! Scary thought ... I keep forgetting you live in a hot place !

Cover that bare wire :)

Then I'd stop running your car til you fix all that wiring or you really will have a smoking hot ride! As for the fuel, a number of things, (besides what everyone has suggested) I drove a 1967 dodge charger back in high school. (I know not a datsun but it was fun has hell to drive) In the Texas summer heat, the car would starve for fuel and shut down if I stopped and would not start back up til I let the motor cool down. Your problem could be a case of vapor lock and or trash in the tank. Checking your vent lines and fuel pump to see if anything is clogged shouldn't be too big of a deal. Maybe drop the tank and clean it? That's my 2cents anyways. Hope ya figure it out and keep up with the pics.

Charger! !! Love ..

You beat me to it ... wrap your fuel lines in GOOD fuel line insulation and it may not help but heatshields arouns gas tank/exhaust on zx's seems to work but I don't live in Arizona ... lol

The very few-days oregon had 100+ degree weathet last year ... I had vapor lock ... sputtering at timed and would not start unless cooled down.. .. I got mad and wen't inside and grabbed some aluminum foil+electrical tape ... wrapped the shit up ... it worked too lol.

I then ordered the correct insulation stuff.

You

besides the fuel issue, your main focus should be the electrical for the reason that if some thing does catch fire melt the hose to your fuel rail ignite and boom.. no more z car

Huh? Nothing can catch fire cause A.) no fuze in the box so no current can travel, B.) I took the lightswitch stock off and out of my car, and C.) I carry a fire extinguisher and none of the eletrical problems are around any fuel lines?

Huh? Nothing can catch fire cause A.) no fuze in the box so no current can travel, B.) I took the lightswitch stock off and out of my car, and C.) I carry a fire extinguisher and none of the eletrical problems are around any fuel lines?

Good on ya, you have no clue how many times people I've know that just kept on driving thier car that way only to wind up having this happen!

IMG_5328_1_Rinus1.jpg

"Hey man, smoking car! No...really...your car is smoking!!!"

Sorry, had too, anyways...you can fix most the wiring yourself without breaking your bank. Black ele tape, a good pair of wire crimp/stripper, crimp unions and an assortment of different gauged wire. I've done of my old trucks under dash harnesses this way, yeah takes a forever to do but I bet I didn't break 20 bucks either to fix them.

Depends, never took out a 280z dash myself but it shouldn't be that hard. Just got to becareful of any hidden screws. Some of the other Z nuts should, I think Skib and Dataznmike would be the best to ask that question to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for any set of dual SU's for my 280z, if anyone could help me out with, like, a full package, I'd probably shit a brick.

What all I need:

• Carbs
  • Mannifold for an L24(don't know if head matters but it's an N42)
  • Fuel rail
  • Throttle Linkage
  • Choke cable
  • Fuel pump
  • Anything else I forgot?

Will pay for shipping and any other fees, but I'm not made of money x)

Can either respond here or PM me.

Thanks guys :thumbup: