Next Gen Z car will be lighter and cheaper! Good or Bad?

Nissan really should consider buying the design rights of that concept art and run with that. Nearly every "retro" car is making money hand over fist for the respective companies. A top technology inline-6 stuffed into that beautiful design with an under-20k price point would make them more money than they know what to do with. Hell, go all out and use the same block to make a performance diesel option as well.

Let the G35 continue to be the bloat boat it is.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what they need to do to get sales in the right place? They need to retire the z, make an end model edition. Then bring out a cheap rwd car with a four cylinder that can compete with the Subaru/Toyota BRZ. Keep it simple but allow for gearhead stuff. Start with an economy motor that has aftermarket potential. Beat them on mileage and handling yet have hp upgrade options. Like the Miata or Scion brands.

That would make dollars and sense.

You know what they need to do to get sales in the right place? They need to retire the z, make an end model edition. Then bring out a cheap rwd car with a four cylinder that can compete with the subaru/Toyota brz. Keep it simple but allow for gearhead stuff. Start with an economy motor that has aftermarket potential. Beat them on mileage and handling yet have hp upgrade options. Like themiata or scion brands.

That would make dollars and sense.

So basically just bring back the Silvia/SX cars

I dont want the Z to end.

I just dont think it should take on the BRZ.

It should be taking on the bigger coupes/ higher horsepower cars, be in a higher class (I dont mean pounds of luxury items). Like back when there was a FD RX7, 300ZX, and the mark IV Supra (though if thoughts and rumors are true, Toyota is thinking of a new Supra to target the GTR...)

I dont want the Z car to be the next drift slut. Smashed into walls, bumpers held onto by Zip ties. Leave that to the Silvia.

That's the problem. Nissan will never reintroduce the 240 or any variant because it raises the question: Why would I buy a Z at $20,000 more, when I can spend $5000 in modifications and have a car that looks as good, handles as good, and is faster? Name a 300zx that would be faster than the 240sx with the appropriate JDM SR20DET in it? The only one that would cut the mustard would be the turbo Z cars. And unfortunately, they were disgustingly heavy. The Z32 weighs in at around 3200 pounds. With the stock 200hp, they were boats. The 240 looked great, yet weighed 400 pounds less or thereabouts.

So there are two options. Either make the Z much faster (like V8 BMW fast) and a heavier luxury version to boot, and ignore the peasant market so to speak. OR, reintroduce the idea of a fun, economical car that can be transformed into a sports car with a little work. Kind of like the 510. 1600 stock motor, L20B fits right in, let's go racing! It just makes sense. Yet, the 510 was everything the Z wasn't. Boxy, understated, not aerodynamic in any fashion.

If Nissan TRULY wanted it to work to have two cars capable of sport and rwd, they would reintroduce a boxy 510 that by design could never compete with the high speed capability of the z car except in cases of extreme workmanship. No 510 is going to go 160 mph without SERIOUS effort. Brick through the wind. A 240z, sure, why not? Sleek vs. stodgy. Big vs. little.

The only problem is they would have to reintroduce a 510 that looked a lot like the original 510 to be successful. The question is, can the American market be persuaded to change their views of bigger is better and more amenities = more fun? In the land of excess, why make an economy car? I see one reason, mainly that those who can afford new Z cars are not in the majority. The number of people willing to fork over their hard earned cash for a "sports car" are making more practical decisions, or just going with something much more prestigious.

I'm not even trying to argue, really, not at all. I will say this though, can you name any car that;s not already waaaay outside the price range of the middle class that you couldn't apply your first statement too? That;s just the way it goes. I never but a fully optioned car because I now I can get further for less than what the factory charges.

IMO they should just come out with a bare bones, by today's standard, 240Z that's light and inexspensive. That's it. Fun to drive, cheap, handles great, good hp/lb ratio.

That's the problem. Nissan will never reintroduce the 240 or any variant because it raises the question: Why would I buy a Z at $20,000 more, when I can spend $5000 in modifications and have a car that looks as good, handles as good, and is faster? Name a 300zx that would be faster than the 240sx with the appropriate JDM SR20DET in it? The only one that would cut the mustard would be the turbo Z cars. And unfortunately, they were disgustingly heavy. The Z32 weighs in at around 3200 pounds. With the stock 200hp, they were boats. The 240 looked great, yet weighed 400 pounds less or thereabouts.

So there are two options. Either make the Z much faster (like V8 BMW fast) and a heavier luxury version to boot, and ignore the peasant market so to speak. OR, reintroduce the idea of a fun, economical car that can be transformed into a sports car with a little work. Kind of like the 510. 1600 stock motor, L20B fits right in, let's go racing! It just makes sense. Yet, the 510 was everything the Z wasn't. Boxy, understated, not aerodynamic in any fashion.

If Nissan TRULY wanted it to work to have two cars capable of sport and rwd, they would reintroduce a boxy 510 that by design could never compete with the high speed capability of the z car except in cases of extreme workmanship. No 510 is going to go 160 mph without SERIOUS effort. Brick through the wind. A 240z, sure, why not? Sleek vs. stodgy. Big vs. little.

The only problem is they would have to reintroduce a 510 that looked a lot like the original 510 to be successful. The question is, can the American market be persuaded to change their views of bigger is better and more amenities = more fun? In the land of excess, why make an economy car? I see one reason, mainly that those who can afford new Z cars are not in the majority. The number of people willing to fork over their hard earned cash for a "sports car" are making more practical decisions, or just going with something much more prestigious.

Easy with the Z32! The NA is, well.. a family car. The twin-turbo is a different animal. But I see what you are saying and I agree. Of course you are talking about these vehicles in STOCK form.

I would like to see a new 240, or a retro Z with an inline NA/Turbo(twin) option.

I like a lot of these opinions, but lets not get rid of any of these cars forever!

If they were to kill off the Z you can only imagine all the people with Z cars and Z parts thay we get for almost nothing, prices will skyrocket because of it! I ain't trying to have that happen most of the older guys that have Z parts here locally want an arm and a leg for there stuff.

Here's Nissan thinking from the article:

"We have to renew the Z soon, and maybe we should think about making the Z a little bit more, let’s say, what the Z used to be, like the first-generation Z .... a little bit more accessible, a bit lighter. A little bit more fun, as opposed to luxurious.”
Sounds great.

He also said:

“The Silvia ... was a disaster”