Next Gen Z car will be lighter and cheaper! Good or Bad?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Future Z car must:

The Big Three

RWD. Above all else.

Be a 5 or 6 speed NO automatic option. This isn't for driving the larva to school.

Two seater. This isn't for getting groceries and keeps the weight down.

Weigh no more than 3,000 lbs. less would be better as brakes, tires, motor could all be made smaller and lighter to match. It's a sports car! NOT a 'Personal Luxury' car with sports option. No air, heated seats, and mirrors, GPS nav., electric windows bull shit. You want air-con? roll the goddamn window down by hand.

Engine size proportional to body weight. Should have minimum 10 to one (3,000 lbs for 300hp) weight to hp ratio, less is more. Surely they can find some direct injection, maybe a small turbo all aluminum, under 350 pound, under 2.5 liter 4 or V6 for this?

Brakes... rear disc but fronts don't have to be 15" rotor 8 piston calipers.... the car weighs less than 3,000 pounds! Keep the weight down. Just something that stops very well, (ABS of course and power assist) and grips the road. Tires don't have to be a foot wide either.

Steering.... power assist (electric?) R&P.

IRS I suppose, perhaps with a rear trans/axle for good weight distribution.

Sit low to the ground and meant for pavement only use. Rigid light composite body, minimum creature comforts, comfortable seats, good front and side view.

IMO, they need to continue into a high revving V8. I think a low displacement V8 is what they need for sure.

EDIT: Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing them do something with the VR38 from the GTR.

It wouldn't hurt for it to be lighter, but at the same time...

240Z = 2.4L L24 or L20A(Fairlady only)

260Z = 2.6L L26

280Z = 2.8L L28/L28ET

300ZX = 3.0L VG30DETT/VG30ET

350Z =3.5L VQ35

370Z = 3.7L VQ37

Get what I'm sayin?

Downgrading the engine would be an insult to the Z cars memory, as the first TRUE import sports car.

Nissan_370Z_40th_Anniversary.jpg

Edited by metalmonkey47

I remember my first EFI drive (not mine) I pumped the gas to set the choke.

At work, my commercial truck is a 2011 Ford Ranger. The transition from 70's Datsun to a brand new ranger is phenomenal.

Still rather drive my truck day to day though.

IMO, they need to continue into a high revving V8. I think a low displacement V8 is what they need for sure.

EDIT: Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing them do something with the VR38 from the GTR.

It wouldn't hurt for it to be lighter, but at the same time...

240Z = 2.4L L24 or L20A(Fairlady only)

260Z = 2.6L L26

280Z = 2.8L L28/L28ET

300ZX = 3.0L VG30DETT/VG30ET

350Z =3.5L VQ35

370Z = 3.7L VQ37

Get what I'm sayin?

Downgrading the engine would be an insult to the Z cars memory, as the first TRUE import sports car.

Nissan_370Z_40th_Anniversary.jpg

A 1,500 pound 150 horse car will out perform in every way, a 3,200 (or whatever a 350/370 weighs) except top speed. A lighter car will always stop faster and turn shorter radius.

You can keep the 370 motor then but drop the car weight 500 pounds. Get rid of all the crap. The lighter the car gets the lighter you can make other things like brakes and suspension, wheels and tires. This would give incredible handling and braking performance. To keep everyone happy make a new V8 engine under 3 liters.

While I feel like Donnie from The Big Lebowski (being out of my element), maybe this video will help prove Mike's point? And before anyone throws a fit about the accuracy of the test, I know that the results are subjective. It's just making a point. I saw a video once where they rallied a 510 against the new Nissan Juke, and the results were similar. The problem is that the 510 had a KA24DE in it. Not really a fair test...

The problem then it to put the buying public on a diet to reduce the bloated weight of their cars. The zx was the worst for options and creature comforts added to the beautifully simple, simply beautiful 240z. A race horse turned into a Clydesdale. Why? because there was money to be made selling an option package to the public and the more creature comforts, the more people, (like more older people) would be attracted to buying one. I remember when the new zx came out..... it had sadly become an old man's car like the Corvette and the Thunderbird. No longer was it a two seat sports car. I fear that limiting the weight will limit the comfort options and reduce sales below a threshold level of buyers that can support and justify the car's profitability. It could become a niche super car great to drive but poor on sales. I further doubt that Nissan will make a car solely for those who like to drive a sports car like they did in with the early Fairlady.

Why do we buy old Datsuns? Because they are light and simple and with a few motor, brake and suspension up grades become superb fun cars to drive.

Yep, they wouldn't sell many, but would have to spend the usual 1/2 billion dollars to create such a car.

More realistically they could do a "track" version like Porsche does. A standard 370Z, totally street legal but 500 pounds less weight. No air, no automatic, no sound deadening, etc. Then like Porsche, charge more for it than the regular version.

I agree with Mike in all but the air conditioning. If I'm going to pay for a new car, I have to be able to daily drive it. I'd rather a daily driver with no heater than no ac. I can sit still for an hour in traffic on the coldest day southeast Texas has to offer, but when it's 100 plus with 50% humidity, temperatures inside a car can quickly reach 130 with the widows down.

No Mike. No 4 door. No automatic. No radio even, but us southerners need ac as much as canooks need heaters.

It's all moot anyway. Only way it'd happen would be if Ratsun won the lotto and built it.