Next Gen Z car will be lighter and cheaper! Good or Bad?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smaller engine... um if I didnt know better I wouldnt think the GTR has a 3.8L V6 in it.

smaller engine, lighter weight, kinda like what they wanted to do with the Delta Wing.

I do agree though, it needs to keep a 6 cylinder.

I wish they would bring back the silvia as a cheap rwd 4 cylinder though...

It depends on the HP/LB ratio. The Z was cheap to begin with so thats no biggie to me.

I'd like to see them go back to a 2.4L 6.... Inline or V i don't care either way. Well if I had to pick I'd say inline.

If they did something like the TVR Sagaris but Jap style, I'd be in.

Part of me wishes they would actually introduce a new car, but I think the reality is, we, as a car community that want a cool, small, cheap, rear wheel drive coupe or sedan, are a total minority in the grand scheme of the business.

My only other problem with this is that the Z still only seats two, unless they make a 2+2 which would be counter to their claims of "lighter", therefore it's not quite the perfect answer to the new 86/BRZ.

I'm also tired of them laying the G35 into this category, leveraging your luxury brand against toyota and scion is not exactly price comparable....

I love that concept, I would be OK with a lighter car with a smaller engine. The best part about the Z is the handling and acceleration. Also if they introduce a cheaper new car that means the price of the 350 and 370 will be driven lower that is good for me a cheapskate!

It's all about the handling!

I had an 09' GTI for less than 6 months and test drove the 370Z, it killed the GTI, well for me anyway. I did a mini hill climb and finished it off with a 0-60-0, it was killer, even the car sales guy was like "Holy shit, this thing is bad ass!" of course that could have just been salesmenship. I was about to sign on the dotted line unitl I got my insurance quote, $350/mo, that killed it.

^ Yeah I feel you on that one, I haven't had the pleasure to enjoy a ride or even test drive a 370z but I did test drive a used 350z years ago it was a blast! Insurance also ruined it for me at the time.

If Nissan does make the new Gen Z cheaper that means 350z & 370z could go down a lot on price and I would be honored to buy a VQ37 off a wrecked 370z :D

WhoTF is Tony Fuckin' O'Kane? Does he work or speak for Nissan or is this just some informed/guesswork/dreaming on the part of a motorsport editor. Remember the hype bullshit about the Datsun name coming back? Only to find out it was only on some POS in India/Russia/3rd world place. Is this how companies figure out how or even if? the public will react to some corporate idea? Throw a few crums of info out and see what sticks?

The only reason there even is a 3.5/3.7 motor is to haul a bloated heavy Z car around in the first place. The 240z did just fine with 150 hp, christ, 10 years later the zx was a tank. It's not rocket science to understand that a Z car weighing a thousand pound less with a smaller motor would outperform a heavier car with the same (or less) weight to hp. So build the damn thing or get off the pot. But if it's going to be a Z car, make it a Z CAR! Something sporty, light, 2 seater, powerful. No more HL510 or FWD 200sx/Sentra crap though.

This is the second occasion where I have heard of a smaller Z car, first was a couple months back on JNC. The articles were on different Nissan people saying things. This article is definitely a build on the JNC one.

Yes, they are planning to do that. Except they won't sell it in the US. Not very many customer in USA want a bare bones car.

IDK if your joking or not but I'd tend to believe you on this one.

Doesn't it seem like ALL the "drivers" cars are not available in the US? Are we so f'n lazy that we can't think when we drive or is it we are so wrapped up in "status" that we have to have every unless POS add on a manufacturer can think of?

I just hope that cheaper and lighter doesn't mean turning everything into cheap ass plastic. The stylings of the 350z are a nightmare... handling is was a downgrade from the Z32. 370 is much better overall. I hope the next Z is something special and not another downgrade just to get people into a Z and more cars off the line.

• Like 1

I agree. They need more of a ground up model like the FRS/FR86.

Overall materials have gone down in all cars. My 01 Jetta's interior is still holding together, no squeaks, no plastic sounds, dash has a nice feel, everything still feels taught. Funny enough it has become my benchmark for new cars, can the new car be as nice as the 10 year old cheapy car? So far I have found a resounding no unless you spend a fortune. How is it that a car from 2001 that cost 17k from the dealership has an overall better feel to me than many new cars? Materials. It seems cars now are no more than plastic molds.

Doesn't it seem like ALL the "drivers" cars are not available in the US? Are we so f'n lazy that we can't think when we drive or is it we are so wrapped up in "status" that we have to have every unless POS add on a manufacturer can think of?

Every year people become more and more removed from the driving experience. We climb into an air conditioned, heated electric seat, tilt steering, remote control mirror vehicle. Turn up the 1,200 watt Bose system, dial in the GPS coordinates to our destination, push a button to start, select drive on the V V T and go. It's what the majority wants. Hell some cars you can't check the motor or transmission oil. Just shoot me now.

Every year people become more and more removed from the driving experience. We climb into an air conditioned, heated electric seat, tilt steering, remote control mirror vehicle. Turn up the 1,200 watt Bose system, dial in the GPS coordinates to our destination, push a button to start, select drive on the V V T and go. It's what the majority wants. Hell some cars you can't check the motor or transmission oil. Just shoot me now.

I feel ya. I those heated seats are nice and all but it's not nearly the same driving experience as my Z. Shit in my 72' most people can't even get it started let alone drive it.