Question About 510 Purchase (SOLVED)

NKrader

So I was sitting here wondering, if i wanted to get a 510, would working it backwards be a good idea? as in buying engine building it up then finding a good chassis and dropping the motor into it?

would this be a good idea? or am I missing something?

it it seems like a good enough idea what would be a good starting engine block? I like the stock engine, so im thinkin the 4cyl would be what im looking for. any details im missing?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not a great idea.. but what works for some doesn't work for others. I just thought about buying someones torn down project for cheap and putting it back together. Might be an option for you. I've seen these posted so many times... if you can swoop in on a good deal might be worth pulling the trigger.

A stock L16 could be found for cheap... as well as a L20B.

From what I've seen, people who try to start with a project tend to not finish it. Not necessarily because they don't want to, but because they can't see putting the money into something that they think won't ever be finished.

My suggestion would be to get a car that is fairly complete, or at least could be made into a weekend driver sooner rather than later. That probably means a stock setup. But the bright side is you get to drive it, and then you'll never want to get rid of it.

what i say you do is just what you said buy a block rebuild it to the specs. you want find a tranny that is in decent shape, and that way your taking up as little room as possible, than when you find the right 510 shell drop the motor and trans. right in this is what i did and within a month and a half after finding my shell i was on the road!

p.s. talk to the510keeper about a shell he will have something you can work with!

dont bite off more than you can chew with the space and time and money issue.

at least with just the motor you can really get to know your car and diagnose any future issues

i say go with the motor first.

• Like 1

my whole thing is I want a solid engine, I cant afford the full car now and once I get it I will need the engine to get too and from work so..? also I dont have enough room to store a rolling chassis. but I do have enough room for a motor, ive rebuilt a gsxr600 engine before (whole motor and most of the tranny/clutch), cant be much more complicated that that. so i understand the basic concept.

what would be the optimal engine? l20b? im planning on doing it right for myself the first time when im not in a hurry

It doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me, this way you can be focused on a small part of the project without distractions (like the chassis). If you are building from the ground up and like the original style motor go with a L20b or if you're a little more ambitious and have some motor building skills already, try a LZ24 or LZ22 frankenstein motor, they look stock but pack a little more punch. either way do your research here and the510realm and olddatsuns.com before you start buying parts.

But,,, it sounds as if you dont have any vehicle, and what happens when the landlord desires you to get your stuff and move?? leave it there? find a friend to move it??

...Why not get a real inexpensive Datsun with the motor combo you want , then slowly get that going good ( dont take apart more than you can get back together in a weekend ) and LEARN on a runner / beater then take THAT unit out and put into the vehicle of your dreams ,,when or if it ever comes along. .. And if it never does, or you find rickity old Datsuns aren`t your cup of tea ,,you could still sell as running car ,,cuz people don't pay shit for an engine they cant hear or see run ,,no matter what you have into it..

From what I've seen, people who try to start with a project tend to not finish it. Not necessarily because they don't want to, but because they can't see putting the money into something that they think won't ever be finished.

My suggestion would be to get a car that is fairly complete, or at least could be made into a weekend driver sooner rather than later. That probably means a stock setup. But the bright side is you get to drive it, and then you'll never want to get rid of it.

I'd go with this. Save a couple to three thousand dollars and get a good runner. You could even use it for a daily driver. Nothing increases the enthusiasm as a runner does. If you don't have space for a chassis now how will you later?

okay so you guys are saying wait a year or two and get a full car instead of getting a block in a month or two?

It doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me, this way you can be focused on a small part of the project without distractions (like the chassis).

exactly

But,,, it sounds as if you dont have any vehicle, and what happens when the landlord desires you to get your stuff and move?? leave it there? find a friend to move it??

its an engine? i would pick it up and move it with the rest of my stuff and ive been here three years and dont plan to move anytime soon. and i have a garage when needed for a body just not for 6months-2years.

(dont take apart more than you can get back together in a weekend )

i want to do it right from the bottom up.. i dont trust others work and i like doing it all myself.

LEARN on a runner / beater then take THAT unit out and put into the vehicle of your dreams ,,when or if it ever comes along. .. And if it never does, or you find rickity old Datsuns aren`t your cup of tea ,,you could still sell as running car ,,cuz people don't pay shit for an engine they cant hear or see run ,,no matter what you have into it..

i have a datsun 210 that i will be rebuilding for my girlfriend here in the next few weeks. ive drivin it, i love it. now i want more.

also learn? whats much different from a 4cyl 600cc modern sportbike engine? an engine is an engine.. nothing that a little time and elbow grease wont solve.

I'd go with this. Save a couple to three thousand dollars and get a good runner. You could even use it for a daily driver. Nothing increases the enthusiasm as a runner does. If you don't have space for a chassis now how will you later?

again ability to do full rebuild is off the table. and total dollar amount required upfront is 10x as much

This may have been said already, but the only problem i see with building a motor/tranny first is it really limits what car you can buy in the end. lets face it, 510s arent everywhere, and genreally one without a motor in it will be someones abandoned project, and who knows what kinda jimmy rigged stuff they had goin on, sure you can come back with "well meybe ill find one with a blown motor" but again, how many 510s are really for sale at any given time? and if that were the case, it would be cheaper to just fix the blown motor!

just my opinion

sure you can come back with "well meybe ill find one with a blown motor" but again, how many 510s are really for sale at any given time?

what would be my hurry? i could sit and wait. im kinda thinkin about taking on as project car, and get a decent daily driver.

it would be cheaper to just fix the blown motor!

again all problems listed before, time, ability to focus on the engine and do it perfect. and upfront cash required. i might spend a bit more in the long run but only requires a small upfront amount of cash then cash as needed to build :)

plus I will be powdercoating what I can aswell that shits takes time with my guy (but I get a killer deal)

also people tend to say i argue alot, :D im listinin to all ya and i respect your opinions and love your input thanks guys

it doesn't mean buy a non-running shell/abandoned project after rebuilding the engine, I do suggest buying a running driving car that way you can drive it while you save money for the swap.

money for the swap? please elaborate. Im friends with two mechanics i work for a welding distributor(so friends with lots of welders), and i have an engine hoist. what else would be costing money other than unforeseen expenses which there will be, but cant be too much

it doesn't mean buy a non-running shell/abandoned project after rebuilding the engine, I do suggest buying a running driving car that way you can drive it while you save money for the swap.

Meybe i missed something, but if he has a fully rebuilt motor, what money would we need for a swap?

what would be my hurry? i could sit and wait. im kinda thinkin about taking on as project car, and get a decent daily driver.

again all problems listed before, time, ability to focus on the engine and do it perfect. and upfront cash required. i might spend a bit more in the long run but only requires a small upfront amount of cash then cash as needed to build :)

plus I will be powdercoating what I can aswell that shits takes time with my guy (but I get a killer deal)

also people tend to say i argue alot, :D im listinin to all ya and i respect your opinions and love your input thanks guys

Haha alright you got me there, i guess i shoulda read the whole thing ;) im not patient enough to sit and wait for a car to come to me lol but if you can do it, rebuilding a reliable drivetrain, then buying a somewhat complete car wouldnt be a bad way to go.

I say go with a L18 or L20B most people give them away, its always better to have a runner but if you already have a car then go for the motor trans build first, but if you dont have a car of course i would spend my monies on a runner , you can find really good shaped L motors for cheap ... Whoops G2G girlfriends calling me to bed rry be back 2maro