questing about smog sniffers on the street

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can they get me, even though i am a pre 75 car?

or should i just try to avoid them as much as possible

Yes, unfortunately, on both counts. Yes, they can, and will get you. They send you to a referee, and you have to pass a smog check, just like we had to before the pre 1975 law came into effect, including visual as well as the tailpipe test. My SUs would be way out the door and my header has the pre-heater so I would be safe there. The State of California, and their infinite wisdom, should be putting those things up at the 8 foot+ level to catch the diesel trucks that are polluting the state, not the cars that they feel they are not getting at smog check time. Avoid them at all costs? Yes! I give them the California Howdy everytime I see them set up. :fu:

oh crap

now i need to drive ALOT more carefully.

you gents think that a stock A15(completely stock) will pass on my 1200?

it has 1.5 inch pipe with a cherry bomb(completely hollow "muffler")

Yeah, especially with a Cherry Bomb. The muffler alone could get you for "noise ordinances", car louder than stock. The officer could proceed to ask what you have under the hood. And the words 'a motor' is not what he/she wants to hear. Anything flashy can be misconstrued as "racing" equipment, and if the officer feels that these "racing" parts could be stolen, vehicle goes to impound. With a budget crunch like we keep hearing about, shouldn't the police/CHP be worried about real CRIME??

when these things go up in san diego they are just trying to catch the "ricers" in their hondas, or any other modded import car, they really dont go after older cars

i can see it now....

"what you got under the hood boy?"

"a lawnmower engine!"

the cop wouldnt put it past the size of the friggin 1200

but now to all seriousness, in theory if they have a tractor beam and they pull me over i MIGHT be able to pass, but i should try to hit a side street or pull a u turn before the cops can get me eh?

can they also nail me for no front license plate or low tire treads in the back?

when these things go up in san diego they are just trying to catch the "ricers" in their hondas, or any other modded import car, they really dont go after older cars

Oh, I beg your pardon. They get the whole spectrum. I know a guy with a '71 Ranchero, gets the single digits for MPGs and he's got a 460. When he got popped and had to go to the referee, he said it looked like a classic car show got hit up by the rice rocket club. Everybody was getting whacked. I say find a smog shop that will let you use their equipment and adjust your stuff so it passes. I know what you're going to say, but is the problem with the smog sniffer or in the fact that they are targeting the wrong people to begin with. You will know when the $hit hits the fan when they bang someone like Jay Leno. He is the figurehead for these classic car owners to to have smog exempt cars, because of his extensive collection. Now, go ahead and do something like whack him, and I guarantee that those smog sniffers will be sent back to their manufacturer, in pieces.

modded import car is the basic defenition of my car.:D

i ripped all my smog crap off, hope that doesnt hurt my emmisions too bad

also, as soon as they start nailing alot of american car owners like the ones that live by me, then all hell will break loose.

they are the guys that are retired, and have nothing to do but bitch about stuff.

so when they cant drive their camaros and whatnot with engines the size of small houses, they will start calling congressmen, signing petitions, all that jazz

let me rephrase, Modern modded import car :lol: but that is down in san diego, up here in nor cal I couldnt tell ya, ive been gone for 8 years, oh and they can and will nail you for the front plate

i can see it now....

"what you got under the hood boy?"

"a lawnmower engine!"

the cop wouldnt put it past the size of the friggin 1200

but now to all seriousness, in theory if they have a tractor beam and they pull me over i MIGHT be able to pass, but i should try to hit a side street or pull a u turn before the cops can get me eh?

can they also nail me for no front license plate or low tire treads in the back?

A 1200 with a correctly tuned Weber should continue to pass muster with the smog sniffer. My SUs, not so much... At least you could hide a Weber under a stock air cleaner housing. SUs are SUs, not OEM.

Worried? Run a cheap catalytic converter.

Front Plates? Can't get you with the sniffer photo, just the stoplight cameras can get you in trouble there.

Flippin' a U-ey? I would hesitate on that as well. Don't want to attract attention. Just maintain your throttle normally through the range, not too fast. The most pollutants come out during the acceleration, 2000-3000 RPM, as you accelerate. That's why they added that part to the new smog check to begin with

also, as soon as they start nailing alot of american car owners like the ones that live by me, then all hell will break loose.

they are the guys that are retired, and have nothing to do but bitch about stuff.

so when they cant drive their camaros and whatnot with engines the size of small houses, they will start calling congressmen, signing petitions, all that jazz

Good. F-ing A! I'm getting older by the minute, but I won't hesitate to help keep Classic Cars from this crap. There are plenty of Hondas that have been touched in the wrong way by their owners here in SoCal to even mess with the rest of us. They need to go back to fighting crime, chasing down speeders, and generally showing up to accidents. Is this too much to ask?

ggzilla, imagine all your worst fears as a child wrapped up, and then imagine something worse. this is worse than both those things.

it is a portable smog station, cleverly disguised as construction.

once you get to a point, you get coned into where they can iether let you go, or pull you over and give you a visual inspecion/ sensor up the pipe test.

and Cops usually hang out there in case anyone tries to get away.

and they can make ANYONE do it.

ggzilla, imagine all your worst fears as a child wrapped up, and then imagine something worse. this is worse than both those things.

it is a portable smog station, cleverly disguised as construction.

once you get to a point, you get coned into where they can iether let you go, or pull you over and give you a visual inspecion/ sensor up the pipe test.

and Cops usually hang out there in case anyone tries to get away.

and they can make ANYONE do it.

isnt this entrapment??

isnt this entrapment??

how is that entrapment?

Entrapment is the act of a law enforcement agent in inducing a person to commit an offence which the person would not have, or was unlikely to have, otherwise committed.

Its not like they came over to your house and told you to install that catless exhaust or told you to put on those SUs and then busted you down the block.

If they had those here i'd fail like woah. :fu: I basicly can choke on my exhaust walking right past the back of my car.

Here in Orange County, it's like above said, looks like construction. If you can read the signs from far away, it should say "Survey Crew". There's usually one sherrif deputy, he/she is usually the one who decides to pull over or not.

I got pulled over into one.

Guy "What year is your truck?"

Me "71"

Guy "Get out of here"

Me (shiffting into first gear)

Guy "Wait, let me check your plates to verify the year"

Me "Okay"

Guy "Ok, you can go now"

I beleive pre-75's don't have to do this test. and they pretty much try to bust late 70's, 80's and 90's vehicles.

There was a 2000 something f150 behind me and he didn't get pulled over.

i am so glad i dont live in cali. even if they decided to do that here ALMOST ALL my cars pass with flying colors. the ones that run at least. not sure about my caddy or my wifes 79 but i know the rest pass no problem. the rest either dont run or are emissions exempt.

oh my fucking god have cops nothing better to do with there time seriously this is rediculus well atleast mine is all stock:P just for this fucked up reason this shit pisses me off like william said look tward the big rigs our classic cars arent hurting anything

Maybe not in California. They have visual inspection -- if you have the wrong size vacuum hose they can fail you. The tailpipe test is only one part of the test.

my dubs are actually plumbed with OE vac lines. i got a steal on about 30ft of it. the only one that might have an issue with a visual would be my passat. Neuspeed P-Flow intake. but since its C.A.R.B. certified i don't think it would be a big problem. as for the rest they are mainly stock. hell i even have OE plug wires on all my cars. mainly because i cant afford aftermarket performance ones.

Good. F-ing A! I'm getting older by the minute, but I won't hesitate to help keep Classic Cars from this crap. There are plenty of Hondas that have been touched in the wrong way by their owners here in SoCal to even mess with the rest of us. They need to go back to fighting crime, chasing down speeders, and generally showing up to accidents. Is this too much to ask?

Fighting crime?...ya right...

That doesn't bring in any $, those criminals stealing your shit are poor...:blink:

chasing speeders? Don't get me started on those f'n hall monitors...