need quik help finding the temp/fuel voltage regulator

I have a 71 510 wagon and my fuel/temp guage arent working. so I figured its the voltage regulator but im having trouble just finfing the thing. theres too many little regulators and relays. A direct pic of it would be awesome cuz ive looked and looked already on here an in the books. But whats weird is that the fuel guage started randomly working for a few days then stopped again. they are both currenly not working. so makes me think it may not be the regulator may/be? any ideas

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a picture of the back of a 521 instrument panel.

Meter.jpg

The rectangular thing above, and slightly to the left of center of the speedometer is the instrument voltage regulator.

The speedometer is the large square thing with rounded corners. The speedometer has two Phillips screws, on a diagonal, with the speedometer cable attachment between them.

I have a 71 510 wagon and my fuel/temp guage arent working. so I figured its the voltage regulator but im having trouble just finfing the thing. theres too many little regulators and relays. A direct pic of it would be awesome cuz ive looked and looked already on here an in the books. But whats weird is that the fuel guage started randomly working for a few days then stopped again. they are both currenly not working. so makes me think it may not be the regulator may/be? any ideas

my fuel/temp gauges stopped working a while back in my 78 b210, i checked all of the fuses and they were good. a test light on the fuse for those guages worked, but then i noticed after about 5 seconds it would short out. so i cleaned up my fuse box and that fixed it. could be as simple as that. just crud on your fuse terminals.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I would post in here rathere than start a new thread, I have a 9/69 510 with the sweeper gauges. My fuel gauge quit working a while ago and it hasn't bothered me but I run out of gas ONE time with my girl in the car and now she refuses to get in. So at this point I have pulled the cluster. I have power going into the cluster, I had to fix one burnt part of the circuit board with a silver pen. I checked and I have continuity so my fix worked, I pluged the cluster back in... still no gauge. I checked for the plusing voltage at the sending unit and found that I have no voltage there. So then I checked for voltage at the two wire pigtail near the cluster and I dont have voltage there either.

At this point is it safe to assume I need a new temp gauge with a good voltage regulator?

I would but I grounded out the sending unit wire which in theory would point to a break in the sending uint signal wire. I have continuity there all the way to the pigtail. And the sending unit was replaced in '05 after the tank was dipped. the reason I'm thinling the voltage regulator in the temp gauge in the aforementioned burnt up circuit board, I figure my problem lies back there.

If TEMP and GAS gauges are both not working likely the volt regulator is faulty.

Are your CHARGE and OIL lights working in the dash??? Is working then the fuse that powers the volt regulator is fine.

If the temp gauge is working then the volt regulator is working too.

YES temp working...

Ground the yellow wire at the tank.... gauge should read FULL.

YES? sender in tank may be bad or tank poorly grounded. Run a good ground wire to tank.

NO? wire between tank and gauge may be pinched under rear seat or connector plug on the harness corroded or bad contact.

yea first my fuel and temp gauges start to sky rocket and still do to this day. then i was driving early in the morning so i had my lights turned on and the little display arrows on the cluster will flicker for no reason at all. so now im wondering if i might have a loose connection behind the cluster because i installed a fter market tach a few weeks ago and have had the cluster out a few times since