Headlight confusion

fisch

Question, on my 521 the low beams work fine, when I hit the high beams, on the right both low and high lamps are lit, on the other, the high comes on and the low goes out.

Shouldn't they all be on, and why would the low go out on the passenger side.

The story:

I hoped the two headlights I had out were just burnt and needed to be replaced, but when I took them out, I shit you not, I found the dankest critter nest I have ever seen inside BOTH headlamp cavities. This is the first time I've looked in there since I bought it.

As you can imagine, there was some wire chewing going on.

Now, I electric taped and reconnected any exposed wires, and now I am where I wrote above. Lows work great. Highs come on and the passenger low goes out and everything else stays on.

I know nothing about wiring a vehicle. I can't really even read a schematic. Help please.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link to my Oildrop journal post about 'The nest'.:) Post # 46

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=58387#post58387

Hope it is ok with everyone that I am keeping the tec questions seperate from the project thread. I reasoned that is why we have a tech section and I figured someone down the road searching for an answer like this won't want to dig through an entire project thread to find the info. But i try to cross refrence the threads so they can read more about it.

The high beam and low beams are different elements within the bulb, and seperate circuits at the plug. You probably have a bad bulb. The best tool to troubleshoot issues like this is a test light. Of course, you could always plug the one that works into the the plug of the one that doesn't :)

You know it was the dustiest, most shelf worn box I have ever seen. You may be on to something ]2eDeYe! You rock, I will report back!

OK I have a faint highbeam now on the previously 'out' one. But is is so dim you'd think it were out.

I Ohm tested high and low on the bulb and it is ok. (Not that I know how to use volt meters very well at all. But the needle went all the way over.)

I tested the High beam socket, and also got the needle to move, though it wasn't as responsive as the low beam socket.

BUT it was the high beam wire that the rodent stripped, like 10 inches of it. There seemed to be enough mangled wire to mush back together and electric tape. I tried to hit it with some sandpaper before I taped it.

My guess would be that that wire isn't getting enough current? So should my course of action to be to cut out the portion of wire that was damaged and replace? Or could I also just wrap some new copper wire around the old wire, tape it and see if I get enough juice to fully light it?

swap the headlight from one side to another then you know if its current related.

as for ohm out? you do that with the head lamp ck the connector prongs

as for cking voltage you do that to the connector from the truck, But this doesnt ck if its thick enough wire to carry the current load.

but new lamp anyway there cheap One of each high /low

yes ck the wire by replacing it, also ck the 2 spades that stick out of the lite that your plug goes onto, if they r loose, even slightly that will cause a short, i know cause that happened to me, also ck your plug end and make sure there is no corrosion in it, when replacing the wire go back a few inches, and make sure to solder the joint, or use good crimpers on the crimp caps, butt connectors, which ever u choose, i've got a good mouser cat i could send u..:lol:

FIXED!

I forgot to really shove something down in the connector of the high beamto clean it out. A jewlers file, bit o sandpaper, and we have full beam on all four!

You know, I am finding it pretty ironic that the last few problems I have posted about turned out to be the littlest things. It is almost downright embarassing.

But I am here to learn!:)

You may need/want to replace that bad section of wire. Solder and heat shrink wrap is the best connection. ;)

Edit: Glad you got it fixed. It's the small stuff that's hardest to figure out sometimes.

glad u got it done, as suggested replace that section of wire also, and maybe keep tabs on the socket, and or replace that also, i may have 1 , i can ck and send it to u, i live in az, so rust isn't much of a corrosion issue here..let me know if u want a differant socket.:)

...could I also just wrap some new copper wire around the old wire, tape it ...

NOooooo!

replace the section properly, if necessary. dont hack-splice anything! ever!

solder new wires (or a good crimp) only.

as you discovered a good cleaning is usually the cure :D

NOooooo!

replace the section properly, if necessary. dont hack-splice anything! ever!

solder new wires (or a good crimp) only.

as you discovered a good cleaning is usually the cure :D

You're right hang, I was just thinking of the fastest way to get it to pass inspection. My butane solder torch crapped out yesterday, just in time fot this to happen.

It is worth waiting for a trip to the hardware store to get another and do it right.

FIXESD!

You know, I am finding it pretty ironic that the last few problems I have posted about turned out to be the littlest things. It is almost downright embarassing.

But I am here to learn!:)

Its not embarrassing, you just don't know. I just think its the best to be able to post something and know someone has already done it and most likely it will be an easy fix :D Or have the parts! yeah Wiring is tuff for most people. Tom paid me 60 bucks to fix his headlights and horn, took me all of 10mins to him it was well worth it though. For some reason I enjoy the wiring, its like a puzzle with infinity pieces :D

Wait until you start pulling more out of peoples back yards, most of them ended up there for the dumbest reasons!!! I got one 510 out of this dudes yard, the add stated, "510 doesn't run, need it gone." I toe it home sand the points and it runs like a top!! Think of how more money he could have gotten hehe A few of them just sat because they got a new car... Damn I love old datsuns.

FRANK GET THE TRUCK AND TRAILER, WE NEED ANOTHER ONE!!!!

yeah Wiring is tuff for most people. Tom paid me 60 bucks to fix his headlights and horn, took me all of 10mins to him it was well worth it though. For some reason I enjoy the wiring, its like a puzzle with infinity pieces :D

not hard... until your looking for a short, and its a broken wire in the not broken insulation :fu:

the last wagon i had, someone rewired the high beams (bypassed) and it wasnt even connected correctly.

removed the hack job and put it back to stock (good starting point!!!) and cleaned the fuse box and relay contacts.

:D perfect functioning lights!!!

Personally I can't say enough about upgrading you headlight harness... I have always replaced mine completely with a "kit" similar to this; http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=headlightharness7sj.gif

but I also upgrade to H4s at the same time, it is a dual relay system and it solves the issue of your headlight switch geting hot or worse, melting. The way it works is power and ground, then a plug to go to your stock harness (only needs on socket)... However, I am not a plug and play guy SOO, I cut OUT the stock headlight harness (you end up with like 3 wires by the passenger side headlight) and solder and heat shrink the part that is supposed plug into the original headlight plug. I then wrap the entire harness with electrical tape to clean things up and to hide the yellow shrink tubing, and then reroute it to hide it and clean things up real nicely.

There is a couple problems though, one the datsun harness wiring doesn't match the new wiring so the wires are a little mixed up, but just simply repinning the h4 plugs, its simple enough to figure out with trial and error, but I used a multimeter. Problem two, I have not been able to find one of these harnesses for a dual headlight setup, so I just add that part in just like the stock harness, which is just fine considering its a dual relay setup.

I usually pay about $30-$40 for these harnesses, which is a great deal in my opinion... saves TONS of work over making it, plus its about the same price if not cheaper then the parts; ie, wiring, plugs, shrink tubing, and relays etc... add this with some new h4s (I like hella E-codes, thanks to hainz advice), and you have a modern headlight setup that you will be QUITE impressed with, got more money to spend? throw in some hids for the ultimate setup.