1970 240z USDM 432

My intake pipes are basically what I've scrapped off my parts car 2" intake and some extra pipe I had left over from my downpipe. So all around 16 gauge aluminized steel.

I might try that beader but in reality I should just weld the whole thing lol

Right now I have FIVE totally unnecessary couplers!

I just need to get off my ass and weld it. Also need to fix my mig to weld aluminum so I can put a bracket on my intercooler and bolt that shit down.

T4CqN.jpg

Btw anyone know why my mig does this on aluminum?

Straight argon with spool gun. Practicing on some aluminum diamond plating but I've tried on other aluminum stuff with the same result.

Qv4qP.jpg

72ddg.jpg

VWO4s.jpg

7j3eU.jpg

1fm9U.jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because that diamond plate is garbage.... The absolute most important thing when welding aluminum is CLEAN aluminum. Sand that bright finish coating and clean the shit out of it.

As for blow through.... I ran an sr20det with a blow through maf pushing 300whp daily for years. I even reversed the stock Bov, reversed the vacuum ports and it held 18psi all day.

-Josh

Ya I had read about how aluminum oxidizes really quickly so when I was playing around with it to clean it i sanded it a little and then wiped it down with denatured alcohol. Is that not enough cleaning? I dont believe I can adjust the polarity with this mig welder.

should be good with cleaning. You should be able to reverse polarity, its where the wires for the mig gun connect inside the welder. You'll see a + and - . Should have a wing nut on it. I have the older version of your welder and thats how mine looks. If its wired correctly, then make sure you are getting enough sheilding gas.

Ya I had read about how aluminum oxidizes really quickly so when I was playing around with it to clean it i sanded it a little and then wiped it down with denatured alcohol. Is that not enough cleaning? I dont believe I can adjust the polarity with this mig welder.

Jrock owns a small business ( as you know ).

He state's that he sandblasts larger amounts of aluminum for a customer ,,, as prep for welding.

Also your headlight combo switch is likely problematic issue ,,,

If your tight on money ,,, you can bypass the running lights to a universal toggle switch

You can also bypass the headlights to a universal toggle switch ,,,

^^^ It's not the right way ,,, and I know people are going to criinge when they see that lol

But I have had to do it ,,, as I lost running ligjhts while driving down a boulevard in FRONT of a COP lol.

A company down in Rancho Cucoamongo ? California Re-Furbishes them.

I would just guess they re-solder and test them.

Keep your eyes peeled at the local junkyard as a first option.

I would attmept repair on a seperate combination switch if you choose to go that direction :)

Good luck ! Car looks great !!!

• 2 weeks later...

You should also boost leak test your system. Here is a DIY http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/turbo-tech-making-a-do-it-yourself-boost-leak-tester.html

I made a similar one but with a schrader valve(bike valve) instead. Cost like 5 bucks. I welded mine up like yours as well but still had a few small pinhole leaks. The car would still hold boost with the tiny leaks, but I would assume it ran better with none.

I say 5-6k, if your a good salesman

Unless you can document the miles all the way back thats worthless. If you can and swapped that turbo in you completely devalued your car.

Not a clean swap, decent condition s30 turbo, 5-6k is going rate.

This way cleaner example recently ended for just over 5k reserve not met.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Datsun-240Z-L28-Turbo-T3-AEM-Stand-Alone-ECU-260-WHP-Daily-Driver-Fast-/230840555378?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35bf2b5772#ht_72853wt_939

Working on cleaning up the engine bay. Make it into a "clean" swap :thumbup:

Bought this for super cheap:

PhqiP.jpg

Worked all afternoon and now I have this:

crDXk.jpg

:rofl:

Don't hate on my paint! It's more of that rattlecan engine paint from my intake piping. It's currently 50mm but tomorrow I'll port it out to 70mm and sand the gasket surfaces. It now has three ports, one on the bottom for my air regulator, one for my booster, and one for a billet 6 vacuum port I've got on the way. :D

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Wait. you eliminated the intercooler? 

Also, you really like plumbing fittings eh? lol 

I am back home this week for spring break and since I ruined the engine in my vg510 I need to build this into a daily driver.

I've eliminated the intercooler because my ic piping was sub par and the intercooler is non crossflow.  I have also switched back to stock seats and will also be installing a stock ignitor and coil after I chase down all of the wiring gremlins.

Plumbing fittings are easy and get the job done.

QOsUX2Z.jpg

RJRG8Hn.jpg

jMQEAmD.jpg

rGfYagq.jpg

rjisdbE.jpg

• Like 1
  • iwayman changed the title to 1970 240z USDM 432