Dashes and Hoods

ddhacor

Hi Guys and Gals...

I was wondering how you might have dealt with two issues:

1: Doing something custom/homemade to replace the dash (instead of paying a buttload to fix/replace the original cracked up one. I'm in Tucson and mine is completely shot. Maybe a fabricated piece of sheetmetal, etc. Obviously if you do this you don't mind not having original stuff.

2: How to get the underhood support bands/trusses reconnected to the hood.

Any ideas are appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carpet.....:lol:.....thats whats on my dash.

As for the hood, I have never had to do this so someone else can chime in!

Otherwise I guess you could go to a body and paint shop to see if they have something, thats probably where I would start.

Hi Guys and Gals...

1: Doing something custom/homemade to replace the dash (instead of paying a buttload to fix/replace the original cracked up one. I'm in Tucson and mine is completely shot. Maybe a fabricated piece of sheetmetal, etc. Obviously if you do this you don't mind not having original stuff.

Check this thread out it might help with the hood.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2750&highlight=hood+glue

For the dash you might want to find another dash in the same condition and tear it apart to see if there is a metal dash under it like the 521's.

good luck

On my former 521 I simply recovered the dash. I went to a fabric store and bought some black vinyl, thin foam padding and spray glue. I took out the metal vents and ash tray pieces before applying the foam and vinyl. It is pretty simple to wrap the dash in foam and vinyl. The hardest part is making the ends look presentable, but it came out really nice, much nicer than carpet. Then I cut slits where the metal vent/ash tray pieces went and put them back in.

If it is for a 620 you are best off to wait to find a nice one or get a vinyl cover kit deal.I think too intense has these on ebay.I tried to vinyl wrap my 620 dash and it was horrible.Way to hard.A 520 dash is the easiest to wrap.

Any of you guys ever done this with a dash. This truck is in the Customs gallery (the first one-red)...

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2364

I was checking out my dash and I think it's past even doing the bondo/paint thing. Not only is it cracked but it looks like the padding and cover have shrunk, causing the cracks to be about an inch wide...Something like this custom jobbie might work out.

i have recovered a few 620 dashes, mine included, i've used vynal and tweed, either way it is a job to do, but the out come is great, i live in phx, if u want to take a drive up we can talk and you can see my truck also, my dash was just as bad as you are describing..:)

As much as I like the 620 dash, the wiper and headlight knobs are a PITA to use. So I kind of liked the look of the late 720 dash with tach and clock option, easy enough to read and glows yellow/orange at night. Nice fan outlets and a separate outlet (bottom far right) to blow on the side window to defrost it too, nice! Not shown is the center 4X4 consol below the heater controls, yes it has the larger 720 heater too. The console has a stock oil pressure and volts gage in it.

The top picture shows the arm with the variable wiper delay switch on it. The bottom picture shows the 280z steering wheel with the headlight switch mounted on the turn signal arm.

Not everything is installed yet after the Z24/200sx tranny swap. This helps me get motivated.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/dash011.jpg[/img]"]dash011.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/dash001.jpg[/img]"]dash001.jpg

• 6 months later...

I got sick of looking at my dash too and decided it was time for a change. I first removed it and then tore off the old cracked vinyl and foam all the way to the metal. I gave it a quick sanding for some all purpose spray adhesive. I took a drill to the two metal pieces on the ends of the dash, you will find these once you tear the vinyl/foam off. Just flip the dash over and drill out the little spot welds. I then got some half inch foam from a fabric store and some black marine vinyl. I sprayed the top of the dash and the foam with the adhesive. Make sure to get the front of the dashso the foam makes a 90 degree angle before you cut it. I then sprayed the top of the foam and the back of the vinyl and laid the dash/foam on the vinyl face down. I'm sure you guys could figure the rest out. It just takes some manipulating with the vinyl but I got enough for two dashes just in case i didn't like the first results, and aquire some practice. It only costed about 30 bucks for all of that. just wanted to help and give anyone out there some pointers. I'll post some pics later so you can see how it looks and you can be the judge. i think it gives it more of a classic look.

Hi Guys and Gals...

they make expanding foam buy s e m product u just sqeeze a little on the spot after small scuff and then it attches to both parts re strengthen hood support like 25 bucks a tube i think