KA24DE Water Pump

Ok so i've been driving my KA24DE swapped 510 around a bit. I have now killed 2 autozone water pumps. I used the ka24e upper and lower alternator brackets, and the single cam thermostat housing. I've tried 2 different belts the 35inch and the 36 1/2inch belt. The pump starts screaming after about 40 or so miles of that it starts leaking from the lower wheep hole. Visually everything looks straight.

I also replaced the alternator thinking it was the bearing going bad in that just in case.

I have no idea how to fix this. Many people seems to have success with this setup. The only difference I can think of that may be the problem is that I have a S14 KA24DE so maybe the under-dive pulley is different not sure though.

Any ideas?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may seem obvious, belt too tight?

Don't mean to insult you. Seems like the only other cause

YOU INSULT ME!!! lol Naw yea I checked that first, that's also why I tried 2 different belt lengths to see how much slack I can play with. The folks over on Zilvia also are blaming auto-zones fantastic craftsman ship. Also it was suggested that I didn't have the correct coolant to water mixture to properly lubricate the pump. So i'll flush the coolant tonight put on a new pump and see how long it goes without screaming like a banshee.

I know that autozone water pumps may not be good quality but shouldn't they last me at least a little while? I got another water pump from them cause of the lifetime warranty. again 50 miles and it failed. Flushed the system new coolant. Is it possible that because I did the single cam belt conversion that the water pump is spinning to fast?

Not sure what's going on with yours. We have the single belt mod done on all of ours, and we run the crap out of them with no issues. (we have the O'reilly "new" pumps though, not the remans)

That looks like a fantastic option gonna go pick up an O'reilly "new" pump Master Pro Select series.

Well I killed a brand new O'reilly pump last night. Installed it drove it around started screaming shortly after that's 4 water pumps now. What the heck is wrong with my KA setup I am really stumped. If there is anyone in the socal area that I can take my car to let me know I just cant seems to figure this out.

when there is plenty of slack on the belt I have seen two issues cause water pump bearing shenanigans. One is loose,bent, or off center pullies...or a tweaked crankshaft...also if the crank pully isn't tight, it will walk out and pull on the belt and therefore the water pump. The other issue besides a pully problem I have seen is misaligned alternators. I can't tell from the vids, but check to make sure your alternator is lined up pefectly with your crank pully and water pump, if it sticks out slightly, you can tear up water pump bearings.

Last, try an OEM waterpump, or perhaps a GMB if you can not find or afford the OEM or a dealer Nissan part.

Umm, thats the belt squealing. Is the water pump leaking? If not then its fine. Tighten the belt a little more and see how it is.

What kind of belt is it?

c8a1eb1b.jpg

This is probably your biggest enemy, I see thats how its supposed to be but only having a 3 rib belt on such a small pulley is pretty hard on a belt.

Try getting a different brand, something good like a Gates or Goodyear.

I still think your belt is not tight enough. It looks like you are out of adjustment too. Do you still have the smaller belt to try? It needs to be pretty tight. Usually, we tighten them just enough to get them to stop squealing like that. (that way they're not too tight, but don't make any noise)

I know that autozone water pumps may not be good quality but shouldn't they last me at least a little while? I got another water pump from them cause of the lifetime warranty. again 50 miles and it failed.

To be completely honest, I've worked at Autozone for the last two years and have only warrantied out one water pump, and it was 9 years old on a ford 351.

Contrary to popular belief our water pumps are great pumps. Just because the box says Duralast doesn't mean it's any different quality then any other parts stores. In fact, I'm 90% sure Oriellys pumps are the same manufacturer as ours. I'll have to look and see who manufactures ours.

I've even had the local Nissan dealer come buy a water pump from us because they were short on stock.

FYI, Dayco makes great belts. The new design uses a Neoprene material with kevlar rather then the old rubber design, that used to crack and separate.

Hey Creepy, who makes the O Reilly's new pumps? I have genuine NPW (Nissan Pump Works) pumps available in our altrom line at NAPA. Probably have a KA24DE one in stock.

No the motor doesn't over heat at all.

How would I check the alignment of the alternator pulley?

A tweaked crank shaft doesn't that mean new motor?

So I can just try to tighten down the center nut on the crank shaft pulley?

This is the belt mod I did http://www.ka-t.org/...pic.php?t=34921

Look to see if the alternator pully sticks out further than the water pump pully. The goal is if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car, to not have any pullies closer to you or further away from you. This will create a slight pull on the belt and is very hard on bearings. I have seen tweaked or bent alternator brackets cause the pully to be at an angle, or sticking out or in further than the water pump pully, this will waste waterpump bearings. When you are staring at the top of the motor looking down at the ground, the belt should be "straight", in otherwords it should not be angled to the front or rear of the car, it should line up with all the pullies.

Checking to make sure the crank pully is on there tight is a good plan, make sure it is in the right spot and not sticking out too far(sometimes the woodruff key can be damaged and will cause the pully to not go on all the way). If the pully is tight and has no slop in it, and you cannot push it further on the crank or pull it out to the front of the car, you should be safe.

As far as a bent crank, the only way to tell that is by watching it very closely...if the pully is not bent and it is on properly, but you can see it wobble or walk, you may have a tweaked crank. I have only seen that happen twice, it takes a very careless person with a very large puller to do that, which is probably why I haven't seen it much. The times I saw it happen they damaged the pully mounting surface, and the crank had to be replaced. If this is the case, you will feel some engine vibration.

To be completely honest, I've worked at Autozone for the last two years and have only warrantied out one water pump, and it was 9 years old on a ford 351.

Contrary to popular belief our water pumps are great pumps. Just because the box says Duralast doesn't mean it's any different quality then any other parts stores. In fact, I'm 90% sure Oriellys pumps are the same manufacturer as ours. I'll have to look and see who manufactures ours.

I've even had the local Nissan dealer come buy a water pump from us because they were short on stock.

FYI, Dayco makes great belts. The new design uses a Neoprene material with kevlar rather then the old rubber design, that used to crack and separate.

Nothing against Duralast or Autozone, housebrands are only as good as the company importing them however, and often the same product line will be manufactured in more than one country. Sometimes house brands can be a crap shoot, because at times you will have a OEM reboxed part, and others will be some cheap knock off that is pure garbage(Wells and Dorman are great examples of this). In a case such as this, trying a different brand will eliminate the possibility of a manufacturer bearing defect, unless the O'rielly house brand is made in the same place(totally possible)...which is why I suggested GMB or a OEM brand and gave some tips to check for a problem on his end, rather than with the pumps themselves.

I agree, I like Dayco belts, as well as Gatorbacks...and Bandos are also a good brand...Autostars work well too(normally found from suppliers like AED). No offense to HRH, but I dislike Napa premium line recently...every single one we hung on a car came back a week or two later with a belt squeel. They seem to stretch once and then they are fine, but we would not use them unless it was on a customer we had a good standing with and could tell them to come back in after a week for a recheck, or on automatic tensioner systems...the stretched belt issue could bite you in the butt when dealing with a new customer...the non premium and Altrom lines did not seem to have this issue.

Hey Creepy, who makes the O Reilly's new pumps? I have genuine NPW (Nissan Pump Works) pumps available in our altrom line at NAPA. Probably have a KA24DE one in stock.

I do like the Altrom line, you can get OEM parts locally and for much less cash than the dealer part. Keep an eye out though, I have found some of the Altrom line is reboxed stuff from other manufacturers rather than the OEM stuff.

There is the Ultra8 version, which is house brand and generally cheap. Some things however, can only be found in that line. Like Altima lower control arms. And while cheap, they're not a hard part to duplicate and fit reasonably well. I still don't recommend the Ultra 8 though. Just the good Japan stuff, or German, whichever the case may be.

• 1 year later...

Hi - mt water pump is leaking and squealing at times and  the fan will slip back and forth on the shaft

do I have to take the rad out to replace?    or is there a fix I dont know of   curious why the fan slips back n forth

thanks for reply!!!

Take the rad out, if for no otherreason than to protect it from damage. You will have more space to work too.

If you mean you can turn the fan by hand... that's normal. It's called a clutch fan and is designed to slip at high speeds where it's not needed and saves a bit of power.

This is really someone else's post on water pumps. Next time start your own so all the replies are for you. It's easy.