i dont know what im doing

im trying to join my auto tranny to my motor, but the rod that goes from the torque converter into tranny, wont slide down the input shaft. when i first took the motor/tranny apart, the rod slid in and out freely, but now there is a metal collar at the start of the inner shaft keeping the rod out. i cant reattach the motor unless the rod goes to the end of the input shaft. how do i adjust it back?

my book is no help, the auto tranny section covers very little.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rod?

Do you mean the snout of the torque converter won't slide all the way into the transmission? Are you trying 1) bolt convertor to flex plate, then install transmission or 2) insert convertor into transmission, then push transmission up to engine?

14956.jpg

The factory service manual has about 100 pages on the automatic transmission

Must be the input shaft that seats inside the transmission and the torque converter slides over and onto it. Just push in and turn it. It should line up and drop right in. I don't thing it matters which end is which but you could check.

Torque converter should be mounted on the transmission, then mount and attach the transmission to the motor. Last align the torque converter to the flex plate bolt holes and put the bolts in.. This is why there is a two piece engine spacer between the engine and tranny... so you can access the torque converter bolts. Make sure the torque converter drops into place, usually a quarter turn will align the internal splines.

You're doing fine. This will all work out. No big deal

Nissan recommends: fit the convertor into the the transmission, THEN push the whole thing up to the engine. One you get the transmission bolted up, you bolt the convertor to the flex plate, rotate it to put the next FP bolt in, etc.

the factory service manual has detailed procedure for installing.

ok so i clearly screwed that up, but it still doesnt solve my problem. the rod is being blocked from entering the tranny by a piece of metal that wasnt like that when i took it off my old motor. ive got to take a picture, its the way to explain.

btw, im just using the chilton that was given to me with the car, the engine section only mentions standards, and the auto trans section is 4 just pages. the books treated me well up until now

According to his photo, he has the imput shaft, the shaft coming out of the tranny with the teeth going into the converter separate from the transmission, it's like the tranny was pulled apart, but when put back together, they forgot to put the shaft in the tranny, and put it with the converter instead, I never heard of such a thing, but I don't deal with autos, except for chevy TH350s or 400s.

Is there a removable front cover that you can remove and take the imput shaft out or put it back in?

Does it have teeth at both ends, is it reversable?

It's not a like a GM transmission, it's easier.

Just pull the input shaft out of the convertor, turn it around and insert into the transmission. Then put the convertor on the transmission.

It's that easy?

The shaft is backwards, and it actually comes out without pulling the tranny apart, very interesting.

i hammered the input shaft past the blockage, seems ok. it slid in and out freely when i first disconnected the tranny, so i just wasnt sure...

i also reattached the torque converter in the right order this time. much easier

i hammered the input shaft past the blockage, seems ok. it slid in and out freely when i first disconnected the tranny, so i just wasnt sure...

i also reattached the torque converter in the right order this time. much easier

Hammered... ? I hope not forcefully ... yo !

NOW

so it starts, wont idle, revs very loudly. but worst of all it wont shift gears, i canmove the gear lever but nothing happens

THEN

im trying to join my auto tranny to my motor, but the rod that goes from the torque converter into tranny, wont slide down the input shaft. when i first took the motor/tranny apart, the rod slid in and out freely, but now there is a metal collar at the start of the inner shaft keeping the rod out. i cant reattach the motor unless the rod goes to the end of the input shaft. how do i adjust it back?

my book is no help, the auto tranny section covers very little.

Maybe some extra info is in order... Like, why was the motor and the transmission separated in the first place? Is this a motor swap??? Was this motor ever running??? If the transmission is a swap was it ever running???