n00b buyers advice

WeirdKid

Hi Ratsun people, ive lurked for awhile, searching endlessly for an old datsun. I think my deal has come. I need you guys to help me out, this is my first deal i will be doing without my dad's help, and i dont know too much about these trucks. The ad goes as follows:

(1) 1968 Datsun 1600 and (1) 1971 Datsun 1600

I would like to sell them as a pair. . . But I will separate them or sell parts.

The '71 is a rough truck that was bought for parts. Clean Wisconsin title.

The '68 is a 99% rust free southern truck. (Body parts and frame only) Clean Kentucky title

The '68 was being converted to four wheel drive. The frame has been boxed and front shock towers and spring mounts have been fabricated and installed.

.5Nc5Fa5Jc3n33Gd3Iac4c0445e8e31af61fa9.jpg

5K55U45M63Mb3J33N5c4c6e30151969d119e1.jpg

5I15Fa5H93Kc3F23N4c4c90e1f2b5ed7d11c3.jpg

there is rust on the rockers and floor of the '71, but that is okay for me for temporary purposes. how difficult would it be to take the L16 and drivetrain and swap it into the '68 chassis and body? or better to keep it in the '71? I really want these trucks and the price is awesome, what do you guys think, reccomend, warn me about?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun

The 1968 did not come with a 1600 L block, so that would be a conversion.

Whenever they sit a long time they rust, if you can weld in new/good used parts, then great, if you can't weld, or don't want to learn to weld, then run away, as there would be a lot of welding to fabricate engine and tranny mounts just to get the L16 in there, personally I would go with the L20b, as it is basicly the same block, but more power.

What you have ahead of you is a lot of work, to get a running vehicle you will need the engine running with a good carb, you will need good master cylinders(clutch & brake), and a good clutch slave, you need to clean the fuel tank out, and hope the fuel pump is good.

Some of this won't cost anything but time, but if you don't have a good cash flow.........

I say go for it, but don't bite off more than you can chew/handle.

• Like 1

also you'll want to go through the whole brake system. chances are you'll need to replace everything. i.e wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, hoses if you go the stock route. or you can do the disc conversion like mrbigtanker here and move on tho the next thing. But most importantly like wayno said, "but if you don't have a good cash flow........." it will be slow going. If you have a place to work on it and time i also say go for it. nice finds and welcome. any pics of the 68?

well thanks guys, if that is the case then i think i will just drive the 71' as is untill the 68 is ready to swap into. I'm no stranger to welding and going through fuel systems, having worked on 70s snowmobiles for the past few years. My biggest concern is basically how much it will take to get the engine running. What kind of price range am i looking at for clutch and brake cylinders, as well as the slave? I have a brake lathe and an auto shop to work in, so i think this will be a good buy. Unfortunately, as far as house rules go im going to have to sell my daily driver dodge neon if i want to have this truck, so just getting it driveable will be my main priority. gotta get to work somehow. No good pics of the '68, i will take pictures tomorrow morning when i head out there to check it out

Check out Rockauto for the brake pieces. Probably gonna give you your best price range there.

I'd just splurge on new brake bits, honestly.

You'll enjoy your Datto's believe me... they can suck you dry of time and money and garage space, but they are more than fun to own!

I really want these trucks and the price is awesome, what do you guys think, reccomend, warn me about?

Sometimes free is too expensive. If you can't drive them you can see what's wrong with them. Get the motor running? It could be blown up or siezed up when parked! Brakes, steering suspension are all unknowns. Does the tank leak? Does the transmission work? The rear end? Wheel bearing bad? Offer $100 for them for parts if you have another one... if not save your money, fly out west and buy one and drive it home.

i am bringing a mechanic with me on my outing to look at it, so i should be in pretty good shape. Ive dealt with non running cars before so this shouldn't be too bad. Being 18 and needing to pay for college next year, flying out west to pick up a car doesnt sound like the best financial decision haha.

If worst comes to worst i have a 240sx that my friend is trying to get rid of as a drivetrain possibility ;)

well thanks guys, if that is the case then i think i will just drive the 71' as is untill the 68 is ready to swap into. I'm no stranger to welding and going through fuel systems, having worked on 70s snowmobiles for the past few years. My biggest concern is basically how much it will take to get the engine running. What kind of price range am i looking at for clutch and brake cylinders, as well as the slave? I have a brake lathe and an auto shop to work in, so i think this will be a good buy. Unfortunately, as far as house rules go im going to have to sell my daily driver dodge neon if i want to have this truck, so just getting it driveable will be my main priority. gotta get to work somehow. No good pics of the '68, i will take pictures tomorrow morning when i head out there to check it out

I am going to be bluntly honest here, if you have to give up your driver to get a non-driver of unknown condition that has sat there for years and you don't have money to burn, forget it, they both have been sitting there for a reason.

You need to find a dependable daily driver, not someones unfinished project.

If I did the math right, you are in your senior year of high school. You should graduate from there, soon, and you are saving for college.

College will be a lot tougher than high school, and will demand a lot more of your time and money, and more importantly, you need to make that a priority. Additionally, with college comes new experiences, and new people. One of these people may become your wife, and she may not like you having to work on 40 year old cars.

I honestly think you should put old Datsuns on hold, and concentrate on the next four years of your life, with as few distractions as possible. Get done with college. Get space to store and work on a project car, then these would be good. But not right now.

yeah i know that whole deal, and i was a little misunderstood, im only selling my daily once this is a running vehicle. And since ive gotten out of the vintage snowmobiling scene ive had way too much time on my hands. my mom has even been telling me that she misses my out working in the garage constantly. best case scenario, its worth the deal, worst case scenario, i walk away and i get a fun excuse to go out and drive around with my friend, who i will be going to college with and this is kinda a joint project between the two of us. so we will see what happens. it will be a learning experience

I'm no mechanic, but I can with confidence tell you that no one can look at an old pair of trucks and tell you if they will run or not. He may be able to tell you what needs to be fixed by looking at damage or missing parts. The only good sign I see about the one in the picture is that it hasn't sunk into the ground yet.

Get a POS honda, get an education, get a job and then come out west and drive a good project truck back home with the box full of spare parts.