Bolt broke off in block, extractor broke off in bolt...

...Ughh.

I've been searching this forum/the Internet for solutions to this. None yet have worked.

Thermostat cover bolt, attempted to use a reverse thread extractor, which promptly broke off...

So what do I do now :P I have no welder. There's a mm or two sticking up above the block, mostly really fucked looking because I was trying to grip it with vice grips (didn't work...)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well.. if the extracters broke you probally cant drill into it anymore... so, id say find a freind with a welder, and weld a nut to whats sticking up. just turn the welder up and make sure its nice and hot and sticks good.

Thats how ive always had luck with broken bolts...

Sorry not much of a help since you dont have a welder. but figured id throw out my 2 cents anyway

If you get a large fender washer that is closest to the broken bolt size , then hold washer with vice grips and heat the bolt as red hot as you can get it ...then use a cool pair of vice grips and grab onto end of bolt wiggle back and forth ... PATIENCE..

And always remember that hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

I swear extractors were invented by an association of evil machine shop owners. They came up with the perfect way to teach a lesson to the DIYers who try to avoid paying their shop fees. Once the diamond-hard extractors break off, the machine shops are guaranteed to get business. :ninja:

Thanks for the help.

I've managed to drill down the top of the extractor to the point where there's a very small divot, and I can no longer distinguish the extractor from the rest of the bolt... But I can sure as hell tell it's there... :sneaky: Further attempts at drilling seem not to matter from here on out.

I'm hoping I don't have to tow into a machine shop.

Sounds like I'll have to make contact with either someone with a welder or heat gun to make much further progress, so I'll attempt that. I think for now I'll let it sautee in penetrating oil, borrow a car, think about what I've done, and formulate a plan by Saturday, which is probably the next time I can attack it.

If you can get the hole dead center, drill to the bottom of the hole and then keep increasing the size of the drill bit until it's nearly the size of the thread roots. At that point, the remaining threads usually back right out. I've done this many times. Worst case, you can use a helicoil. I've had to remove the same broken bolt on my 260Z head. I went ahead and used a helicoil so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future.

Been there done that. Payed a friend to rip it out and repair it.

Best bet is to get a friend to weld a nut to the left over stud, and apply tons of heat to allow the head to stretch around the bolt. The extractor's made out of hardened steel, so you won't drill it out anymore.

is this a thomostat housing the bolt is stuck in??

I just buy new lower housing and remove from the head

use antiseize next time as all bolt that could see water I use antiseize on them

...!

You're right, it's on a removable housing. I'd nearly forgotten this.

As long as the housing bolts aren't as badly off as the ones on the cover, I should be golden then.

...I'm sure not using an extractor again :P It'll be a reverse-thread drill bit next time.

Why not just get a different housing? They are plentiful and cheaper than paying a machine shop to fix yours.

That's an idea so excellent that it was my first one.

They're listed as like $40 on MSA, but when I swung by they told me the part is now uncontainable. I may have a lead on a couple, from a friend, or may soon post a wtb on one... Only ZX housings on eBay.

But the idea right now is "get this thing running as quickly as possible". Couldn't find a machine shop open today anyway, so I'm thwarted anyway.

...Thanks, it's a 75. Though it seems I've obtained a new housing, albeit one with a stripped bolt hole... I'll need to tap it for something bigger, but I've already pretty much been set up to miss the event I was gunning for so the pressure's off.

...Good thing ive got a car to borrow in the meantime!

Do yourself a favor and buy a helicoil kit rather than trying to oversize the bolt. You can fix the hole permanently, use the correct bolt and you won't have to drill out the housing cover as well. Once you buy the kit, you can use it to fix other stripped bolt holes, which you will eventually come across. If I remember right, you stripped a M8x1.25 which is the same as the manifold bolts which strip all the time. The rearmost exhaust stud has been broken on most of my Z cars. Any Napa and most other autoparts stores have the kits and they are very easy to use. Good luck with whatever you do to get back on the road.