Want to buy Honda cb/cl/sl 350 engine

Sorry this isn't club related, but I figured I'd give it a shot. So don't hate me lol. But I'm right now needing to buy a running Honda cb/cl/sl 350 engine. If anybody somehow has one and is willing to sell it or knows where or who has one I can buy please let me know ok. Any help, advice or leads will be greatly appreciated. Also I live in AZ so I'm cool with shipping as long as the price tag wont kill me lol.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cb350 4cyl or 2 cyl?

My bad lol. The 2cyl. The reason I'm looking for one is I recently just bought a 71 Honda sl350 with a seized engine unfortuantly. But I got it for a steal of a price lol. Bought it from some rich kid who never though of checking the oil. Ran the poor thing till it broke. :crying: So instead of attempting to fix a seized engine, I'm just going to drop another one in and call it good. But the great thing about all these 350 twin's is they all have the same engine. B)

This is a minor point, but the CB engine might have a closer ratio gear box, than the SL and the cam shaft might also be different.

I might have the plastic side covers for an SL some where, or I do not know if I finally decided I will never need them and put them in the garbage.

This is a minor point, but the CB engine might have a closer ratio gear box, than the SL and the cam shaft might also be different.

I might have the plastic side covers for an SL some where, or I do not know if I finally decided I will never need them and put them in the garbage.

Mine bike is a 1971 sl350k1 to be exact. So if you still have those side covers that'll fit my bike, then let me know. I will by them for sure.

Also yes the gear ratio and cams are different between the models. But I'm not concerned about that. Just need any running condition 350 twin motor. Due to all versions of the 350 twin motors will fit any model frame.

Thanks

Screw that man, bust out those pistons and bore/hone the cylinders. Pistons can be found easier then a motor.

I got a '73 CB175 K7 a few years back that we dug out of the woods with a siezed motor. We soaked the pistons in PB blaster and heated the cylinders up HOT and knocked the pistons out with a steel dolly. The bore was okay, so we honed it out, put in some $12 used pistons & rings from Ebay and that sucker ran like a top with a total of $50 spent between gaskets, pistons, and points. GET 'ER DONE!

IMAG0520.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

Might be a stretch but ask these guys. They have a ton of classic cycle parts.

http://cyclepsycho.com/ You can also find them on ebay.

Thanks for that. They have some good parts for cheap. I'll keep them in mind when I'm looking for parts.

Ratsun respects anyone who is restoring life and love to aged steel. Even if it isn't Datsun steel.

Cool didn't know that lol. I love these old 350 twins, there great bikes.

Screw that man, bust out those pistons and bore/hone the cylinders. Pistons can be found easier then a motor.

I got a '73 CB175 K7 a few years back that we dug out of the woods with a siezed motor. We soaked the pistons in PB blaster and heated the cylinders up HOT and knocked the pistons out with a steel dolly. The bore was okay, so we honed it out, put in some $12 used pistons & rings from Ebay and that sucker ran like a top with a total of $50 spent between gaskets, pistons, and points. GET 'ER DONE!

Well I was contemplating fixing it. But two problems. One is the engine was ran without oil till it seized. So it will probably need a whole top half due to the pistons being most likely melted to the head. But not totally sure here. And second I'll be honest here, I've never taken an engine apart before. Plus I don't know that much about engine related stuff. Most this is all new to me. But I do have a shop manual for the bike, so maybe I'll just give it a go. I mean don't think the engine could be any more fucked than it already is lol. Or can it? :confused:

Metalmonkey is that your bike? Got any more pics? Looks awesome

Btw I do have a lead on an engine I found on craigs. Its a 71 or 72 cl350 motor with tranny for $300. Motor hasn't been ran in don't how many years. Been kept in an indoor storage area. And I'd have to drive almost 200 miles to get. Which will equal to around $100 in gas. Brings it to a grand total of a $400 engine. What do guys here think? Should I go for this or attempt to repair my fucked up motor? Hell if can get the pistons out I can take and get the engine rebored and save up some money put in bigger pistons. Like these. :thumbup: https://bore-tech.my...m-big-bore-p675 But ouch is that pricey.

Thanks

I had an early 1970's SL 125. One issue with the engine in that bike is the camshaft turned in bores in the aluminium head, without bushings, or bearings, and and if you did not have oil in the engine, the bores for the camshaft in the head went bad, with little possibility of repair.

But I would suggest taking it apart anyway, and seeing what you can do with the engine. what do you have to lose? even if the engine is totally scrap, the metal is worth more separated out as pure aluminium, steel, and other metals, and drained of oil.

Sorry this isn't club related, but I figured I'd give it a shot. So don't hate me lol. But I'm right now needing to buy a running Honda cb/cl/sl 350 engine. If anybody somehow has one and is willing to sell it or knows where or who has one I can buy please let me know ok. Any help, advice or leads will be greatly appreciated. Also I live in AZ so I'm cool with shipping as long as the price tag wont kill me lol.

Thanks

Where you at in AZ, center of the universe? I'm planning to go to the vintage bike swap meet tomorrow in Tucson (Barrio Brewery B) - here's the info http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/2943503907.html). The swap meet is usually pretty small, but little CBs are pretty popular - I can watch out for an engine or jugs or something.

Hit me with a PM for texting phone pics. I'll try to get pics of jugs for you! :devil:

Where you at in AZ, center of the universe? I'm planning to go to the vintage bike swap meet tomorrow in Tucson (Barrio Brewery B) - here's the info http://tucson.craigs...2943503907.html). The swap meet is usually pretty small, but little CBs are pretty popular - I can watch out for an engine or jugs or something.

Hit me with a PM for texting phone pics. I'll try to get pics of jugs for you! :devil:

I'm located in Glendale. So that swap meet would be a pretty far for me. Plus it's at the same time I have my job, so can't make it. But hey if they have an engine there maybe me and you could work something out. Check you messages, I sent you a PM.

I only found the one side. I do not know if it is right or left. I only would like shipping cost, I will find out how much it is to put it in one of those flat rate boxes from the post office.

Thanks sounds great. Btw I believe that is the left side cover. Also check you messages, I pm'd you my cell number so you can call or text with prices and such.

If you don't find an engine and dig into yours, I have a set of barrels on stock bore freshly honed with pistons, and full or top end gasket sets. You would just need to buy std. rings from Honda. That is if your cam isn't toast. If you have to buy an engine, hold out for the SL or CL, I don't think you'd be happy with the CB gearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I was the one looking for a Honda 350 twin motor. And I did find find one, but now I got a tough decision. Here's the current situation. I live in Glendale Az and took a trip to Rye to a motorcycle junkyard called All Bikes. (To those who know of that place, I am aware that it's not the best place to go, due to the owner Ron being kinda an asshole) But he told me that he has those engines and guarantee that they run and are just drop and go. So to work a deal on the price I gave him a basket case 1986 Honda XR80R. (Has no title and I got this for free awhile back) So with me giving him that the price tag for the motor comes to $250. But heres the problem the engines he has are still in the bikes and just sitting out in the open all exposed to natures elements. Now I may not me a mechanic by any means but I seriously doubt the engines are just "drop and go." But he says he will guarantee they will have good compression, be drop an go, and will give me a 30 day warranty. So he told me it'll take a a day or two to get the engine out and he'll meet me 30 miles from where I live. So I left the XR80R with him as a partial payment since I wasn't getting the engine today and agreed to pay the full $250 when I get the engine and verify the compression myself. But now its been over a week now I have no motor and every time I call him he tells me he needs more time. So I'm starting to think this guy is just fucking me over and I won't get the engine. And I'll lose my XR80R. (Won't be to upset about that since it was given to me for free.) Though on the good side I found another guy around Tucson who says he's got one of those motors he says he will sale to me for $300. The motor has good compression and shifts threw all the gears. But that's all he knows since he has actually never ran the motor. So this here brings me to my situation (Sorry if it was long and boring) All Bikes is closed Mondays and Tuesdays and today is Monday. So I can't call Ron again till Wednesday. But I told the guy in Tucson I can meet him tomorrow on Tuesday to get the engine. And has to be tomorrow due to that's my only day off till another week at my job. (Working retail is a total cluster fuck) So what do I do? forget about Ron and lose my free XR80R and go buy the motor from the guy in Tucson, or do I tell the Tucson guy that I'm not going to buy it and just sit around and hope for Ron to come through with the engine? Please I need advice on this.

I would wait it out a little bit.. if Ron falls through tell him you want the bike back and you are going another route. If you don't want the Bike back.. tell Ron to go F himself and get the motor from the other dude. I would just give it a little more time and see where your at.

I don't know if this suggestion helps or not ...

A used motorcycle motor normally has everything you need to make it run. As long as someone didn't take off the carbs or electrical stuff, it should be a pretty complete package once pulled from a bike. The main thing missing will be the coils, battery, and whatever related electrical stuff mounts to the frame. Beyond that it's a matter of getting fuel and air into the motor, and letting the exhaust out. All I'm saying is, with a few parts off your bike and a way to get fuel to the carb ... you should be able to fire up a motor on a simple (scrap wood) stand.

I'm leary of folks with a bad rep ... 30 day warranties are easy to hand out, but a pain for the person who has to do all the work.

However, you left a deposite so you have engaged in a deal - IMHO

I suggest you follow through with what you started. If that doesn't work out, then look for another motor ... not in the middle of a deal you closed.

Good Luck! What year Honda do you have?

Well you could have updated your old thread so everyone knows the story,,, http://community.ratsun.net/topic/42404-want-to-buy-honda-cbclsl-350-engine/

But sounds like you are paying too much unless Ron wets the top of that engine and does a compression test while you watch. Very easy to hook up a battery to the starter and spin a bike engine. I would ask this of anyone asking more than scrap value for a 40 year old Bike engine sitting outside for god knows how long. Anything less than a visual compression test is a boat anchor. My .02

Good luck man.

I would give Ron another week to respond, but let him know you have other engine available, and if he cannot follow through, you want out.

Reality is I would consider almost every 40 year old engine as needing some attention. If you get lucky, the engine will not need new rings, or a valve job. But plan on having to do the work, and be pleasantly surprised, if you do not need to.

I would wait it out a little bit.. if Ron falls through tell him you want the bike back and you are going another route. If you don't want the Bike back.. tell Ron to go F himself and get the motor from the other dude. I would just give it a little more time and see where your at.

Alright well I talked to the guy in Tucson and got him to give me another day to decide. That way I'll be able to get ahold of Ron on Wednesday and see what he says. And I know I'm probably sounding a tad impatient but I mean the guy told me a couple days, not a week. And he won't give me a straight answer on what's holding it up either.

I don't know if this suggestion helps or not ...

A used motorcycle motor normally has everything you need to make it run. As long as someone didn't take off the carbs or electrical stuff, it should be a pretty complete package once pulled from a bike. The main thing missing will be the coils, battery, and whatever related electrical stuff mounts to the frame. Beyond that it's a matter of getting fuel and air into the motor, and letting the exhaust out. All I'm saying is, with a few parts off your bike and a way to get fuel to the carb ... you should be able to fire up a motor on a simple (scrap wood) stand.

I'm leary of folks with a bad rep ... 30 day warranties are easy to hand out, but a pain for the person who has to do all the work.

However, you left a deposite so you have engaged in a deal - IMHO

I suggest you follow through with what you started. If that doesn't work out, then look for another motor ... not in the middle of a deal you closed.

Good Luck! What year Honda do you have?

Well for $250 I'm just getting the engine. No carbs. And I still have my original seized engine. Which still has a few good parts here and there I could use as needed. But I do know about being engaged into the deal and all. But I'm starting to have trust issues with him. I mean he tells me it'll be ready in couple days. And a week goes by and I have no clue what the hold up is. This guy reminds me of another guy who in the past stole over a grand from me in a bad deal. But my bike is a 1971 Honda SL350.

Well you could have updated your old thread so everyone knows the story,,, http://community.rat...lsl-350-engine/

But sounds like you are paying too much unless Ron wets the top of that engine and does a compression test while you watch. Very easy to hook up a battery to the starter and spin a bike engine. I would ask this of anyone asking more than scrap value for a 40 year old Bike engine sitting outside for god knows how long. Anything less than a visual compression test is a boat anchor. My .02

Good luck man.

Ya I should have my bad, sorry. Well we agreed upon after he gets the engine out and checks for good compression, that he'll meet around 30 miles from me. From there I will do my own compression test with my tools to verify it myself. But this is the SL350 motor, so it's kick start only. But you think $250 is asking to much? How much do you think I should be paying?

I would give Ron another week to respond, but let him know you have other engine available, and if he cannot follow through, you want out.

Reality is I would consider almost every 40 year old engine as needing some attention. If you get lucky, the engine will not need new rings, or a valve job. But plan on having to do the work, and be pleasantly surprised, if you do not need to.

Yes I'm aware that getting a 40 is year old drop and go engine is hard to come by. But hey as long as it has good compression, all intact, and obviously not seized, then I'm alot better off then I was before with my seized motor.

Thanks for all your help. It's given me alot more to think about and consider. So as I said I'll give that Ron guy a call on Wednesday and see whats going on. Then I'll let you know what happens. Oh and since I know everybody here (myself included lol) loves pics (or is it oics?) I can post some pics of the bike if you like. Let me know. But again thanks for all you help.