Brake bleeding

mr928

So I just replaced all the wheel cylinders and brake lines but for some strange reason I cannot get all the air out. I'm assuming it's air as the first pedal always goes to the floor but with 2 strokes the pedal is nice and hard and stays that way if I hold pressure on it. I've tried vacuum bleeding as well and no change. I've looked for any possible leaks and see nothing. When I manually bleed each wheel I do not get any air bubbles. What am I missing?

BTW I used Centrix wheel cylinders which ran me $70 for all 4.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, four wheel drums need a lot of fluid to move them if the shoes are not adjusted. Lift one wheel and adjust it while spinning by hand. Once too tight to turn by hand pump brakes to center the shoes and adjust more if it needs it. Do all four wheels.

Yep....what Mike said. If you get a hard pedal, you have NO air.....if it stays that way, you have NO leaks. It's purely shoe adjustment. If you have not had your drums turned, it's okay to get a bit of scrub as the wheel rotates. You may hear spots that scuff during rotation, but it should not stop the wheel from turning.

If the brakes pull to one side, you should remove the brake drums, and look at the shoes for grease or oil contamination. If they are not contaminated, and you have a fair amount of lining left on the shoes, put the drums back on.

Adjust the brakes, then bleed the system if needed.

You should adjust the brakes in a 521 every 3,000 miles. You may need to adjust them more often if you have not adjusted them for a while, until the shoes match the drum closer again. This will need to be done also when you put new shoes in the brakes, or new shoes, and drums.

When the brake shoes are in good adjustment, and fitting the drums good, the whole surface of the shoe contacts the brake drum. As the shoes wear, they wear unevenly more and more, and the brake pedal gets softer, as it has to travel more to push the brake shoe into the drum.

If it has not been done in a while, you should also repack the front wheel bearings.

Ok I finally had some time to work on my 521 and it appears that the problem was that the shoes were just too far away. As soon as I adjusted them I had a normal pedal. I guess I'm learning more about drum brakes all the time. Thanks for all the help.

$35 is a deal for a master.

Were you looking for a larger one? Because larger means you will move more fluid but because the law of "you can't get something for nothing" kicks in you will have to press much harder on the peddle to do so.

You could try fitting a vacuum brake booster from a later 620. The master stays the same, but engine vacuum is used to increase the push on it, effectively reducing your peddle effort.

Well if stock is good i dont mind stock...its 34.99 at orileys here in town for a new not rebuilt one with lifetime warrenty. Ive never driven the truck yet just trying to get it on the road wanted to bleed the brakes and nothing happened so i took it apart and there is no pressure or fluids getting inside the master