rota aleica's 15x8-5's can fit..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

sorry to bump this thread back up, but im planning on running the same exact wheels but with 15x9 +0 in the front and 15x9 -5 in the rear on my wagon. I'll post pics as soon as I get the wheels on the car. I will be stretching 175/50R15 on them all around and I will also do a fender pull. According to what I've read on this post, what I'm about to do is feasible on these cars. Please correct me if I'm wrong lol

Feasible means possible and easy to do. This won't be. It's is do-able with 9" wide rims but gets closer and closer to difficult.  Don't 'pull the fenders' it's a poor method to force tires and rims to fit. Use the correct back space or off set by doing your homework or run 8" and tires that do fit easier. I'm all for big meaty tires and rims but not at the cost of forcing them on a car.

Have you thought of running a narrower rim/tire on the front to make the rears 'look' wider?    

• Like 1

Have you thought of running a narrower rim/tire on the front to make the rears 'look' wider?

Sacrificing looks for function? No one knows what that is... It's all about how good it looks parked, and if it has enough ground clearance to be pulled up on the flatbed tow truck after wrapping the car around a tree because ridiculously stretched tire debeaded, or the cast wheels from Taiwan exploded... Even then, it's "cool" to destroy your oil pan and drag the leaf spring shackles.

This "how much wheel and how little tire can I run with minimal wheel gap and no suspension travel" shit is really getting old. People need to be realistic about their setups. Your car barely being drivable isn't realistic.

• Like 2

sorry to bump this thread back up, but im planning on running the same exact wheels but with 15x9 +0 in the front and 15x9 -5 in the rear on my wagon. I'll post pics as soon as I get the wheels on the car. I will be stretching 175/50R15 on them all around and I will also do a fender pull. According to what I've read on this post, what I'm about to do is feasible on these cars. Please correct me if I'm wrong lol

I wouldn't do it man especially since you have a goon, doing it on the cars is challenging enough the goons may be a bit harder. I'm all for putting bitchin ass fitment on cars but when it comes to classics and having to modify it past something that can't easily be reversed I'm skeptical

175 on 9j would be crazy stretch. I'm running 195 on 8.5j's and it's almost too much. If you plan to stay with the factory track width in the rear, you'll be dealing with about an inch plus of poke with a 9j zero. Mrbigtanker is a perfect example... Check his thread.

... unless you have a handful of cash and want to get an RX-7 live axle shortened. Then you can fit just about anything your pocket allows.

This but if you want to still tuck the wheel, I've found 8.5j is max. If your after a "fitted" look then stretch and poke will accommodate more width.

• Like 1

This but if you want to still tuck the wheel, I've found 8.5j is max. If your after a "fitted" look then stretch and poke will accommodate more width.

But your bagged so you have a lil more room to play right? That's what I was trying to get op to understand he only can do so much with the stock rear end, I don't think what he is going for is going to work

Mrbigtanker is a perfect example...

He's running 8j 0 with a 205/50

Please correct me if I'm wrong lol

Remember. You're playing with a live axle on your wagon. You don't have the camber adjustment to help with tire tuck; unless of course you've fabbed in IRS. 15x9 -5 is a LOT of wheel, regardless of tire size. You won't be able to roll/pull the fenders enough to accommodate that wheel. Unless you plan on rolling with stock ride height, then your sizing will never work.

• Like 1

Remember. You're playing with a live axle on your wagon. You don't have the camber adjustment to help with tire tuck; unless of course you've fabbed in IRS. 15x9 -5 is a LOT of wheel, regardless of tire size. You won't be able to roll/pull the fenders enough to accommodate that wheel. Unless you plan on rolling with stock ride height, then your sizing will never work.

This^^^

Interesting flares... Would love to see the finished product or a full body length shot of the car as is if you've got one handy. Very similar to something that I was planning on doing to my wagon. 

I run 205/50/15s on the back of my wagon, and I'm about as low as you can get without having to do some cutting (I still haven't taken the step out of the door frame in my car). 

175 on a 9 inch wheel is waaaay too much stretch. You're just going to end up curbing wheels and blowing beads or something every time you bottom out. Don't forget adding wheel size will create more weight, and reducing tire at the same time will create less traction. You're jipping yourself on performance on two fronts now. Not to mention your ride quality is going to be shit with tires with no sidewall AND running a standard leaf+live axle combo. 

• Like 1

Sacrificing looks for function? No one knows what that is... It's all about how good it looks parked, and if it has enough ground clearance to be pulled up on the flatbed tow truck after wrapping the car around a tree because ridiculously stretched tire debeaded, or the cast wheels from Taiwan exploded... Even then, it's "cool" to destroy your oil pan and drag the leaf spring shackles.

This "how much wheel and how little tire can I run with minimal wheel gap and no suspension travel" shit is really getting old. People need to be realistic about their setups. Your car barely being drivable isn't realistic.

No shit!!!!

The car is everything and the body should be preserved as it is for tire/rim fit. Tires fit the car.... not the car fits the tires. Sorry but rolling the rims or running mad camber to 'tuck' only proves to everyone that your priorities were as wrong as your choice of rims.

I see this all the time... someone buys rims because they got a hard on for some shiny piece of shit rims, instead of using their head. (they probably have an ugly wife and three kids because of this behavior)  A few measurements and an on line rim calculator and they could have ordered those hideous rims but they would have at least fit. Instead, they post hear asking how to get them on under the fenders. It's all so avoidable. Is an ugly wife avoidable? Chances are increased by just taking a good look at your g/f's mom. It's like looking into the future.

• Like 1

No shit!!!!

Funny thing is, it's almost always cheap wheels that make people hack up their cars. My car was purchased flared, so I can't be charged for the crime of cutting to fit. I myself would probably never flare a car. I see an exception where a purpose built car is being built, and great care is taken to make sure it's done right. I see too many people get huge wheels, then zip their fenders with a death wheel, and rivet on some plastic eBay flares... then end up selling the car for various reasons.

Now, the subject of tubbing is a whole different ball game..

• Like 1

But your bagged so you have a lil more room to play right? That's what I was trying to get op to understand he only can do so much with the stock rear end, I don't think what he is going for is going to work

No more room than if I was static... My wheels and tires clear through all the travel range. But it wasn't easy ;)