Hobbes joins the Goon Squad!

I just picked this up yesterday. Its a 72 goon. It has some rough spots but is very solid. besides the front fenders the only cancer I found was on the floor at the rear hatch. the rest of the floors are real nice and so are the quarters. Its an L20b and 4-speed. The oil pressure gauge feed line broke while the PO was on the highway and he didn't notice, so it ran out of oil, now it has a light rod knock. really a bummer because it fires righ up even when cold but I have the L18 out of my white car in the garage tho so it will get swaped in soon. It's lowered on blocks and cut springs. The Appliance mesh wheels look nice, I wasn't a fan at first but they are kinda growing on me. It has shaved door handles and came with another complete set or shaved doors. Does anyone want to trade their unshaved doors for my shaved ones? I have some gloss black paint in the garage and I'm going to paint it, but I would like to finde some unshaved doors first. I'm kicking myself cause I sold some nice unshaved wagon doors only a few months ago. :rolleyes: Oh well, here's the pics014.jpg

015.jpg018.jpg016.jpg017.jpg The extras: shaved doors, 5-speed, front fenders. :cool: 013.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got a wagon door on our 4-door right now that we were going to swap out with the stock door. Didn't really anticipate swapping it quite this soon, but if you'd like, you're more than welcome to it. $40. Super straight, just dirty and greasy from filthy hands in the garage. The lock is shot (pretty sure we used a screw driver on it at one point to get the car unlocked about two years ago), but otherwise, it's solid. The inner pannel & handles, etc won't come with it, as we need them for the stock door we put back on.

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

Thats my buddy Tim's old wagon. He sold it about a year ago and lost track of where it went. West Seattle/White Center..... I think. While he had it we swapped heads and put that brand new Weber carb on it. It ran great back then. Glad to see its back in good hands!

I worked on this goon before when Tim Had it.

I always tell people to run the good oil lines as most people run those cheap taiwan made plsic lines and they WILL CRACK. Its almost better to have the stock sender if you know you dont got a oil burner.

I think I gave tim the 1/8 BPT adapter and it should be a silver part that screws in the block. then tmost lines are the 1/8 NPT.

He had alternator volt reg issues when we were working on it.

Gave Tim and Datto 510 the weber carb adapter then they Broke it when they tighten it down to much.

Then he sold the car. Then I said not more helping!unless they owned the car more than 5 years

Cool Goon. Luv those rims B) Let me know if you get rid of them. Maybe even trade for my konigs?

That is a very tempting offer, I'm going to think seriously about that. These rims poke a little to tho, the tires are streched.

Thats my buddy Tim's old wagon. He sold it about a year ago and lost track of where it went. West Seattle/White Center..... I think. While he had it we swapped heads and put that brand new Weber carb on it. It ran great back then. Glad to see its back in good hands!

Yeah, I got it from a guy on Beacon Hill. Real nice guy, said he didn't do a thing to it the whole time he owned it tho. It probably is exactly the same as when your friend owned it! Except for the rod knock. :hmm:

I like the flat black and rising sun look.

I remeber the kid before Tim having this car and he paid 1500 for it back then.

Kid ran out of money or soemthing.

I like this wagon!!!!!!!!!!

Doesnt appaear to have any wiring Hack Jobs or anything beside swapping the battery 180degs.

Yeah I like the look too, the only thing I don't like is the shaved doors. :no: And all the wiring looks nice, all lights work, it's really pretty clean. It's fun to drive too, till 2500 rpm then it knocks like a bag of rocks! That will soon be taken care of though. And i will spin that battery 180 degrees ASAP. I am glad you noticed.

Too bad is only a 510... goon..... :lol: Seriously, nice going. I was a truck guy and got into cars for a change hen I got a goon and I'm complete.

013.jpg

For a 280z/zx or 620 5 speed install, just get a sedan driveshaft. It's within 1.1" of ideal and works just fine without shortening.

Thanks for the compliments guys and for the trans info datzenmike. I think I'm going to stay with the 4 speed to keep it simple, as i have no idea the condition of the 5speed that came with it. If I can't find un shaved back doors I will probably just swap the passenger front door before I paint it.

• 3 weeks later...

I got started on the wagon this weekend... ready for a transplant:photo-28.jpg

The donor:photo-29.jpg

Success! This is the old L18 out of my 4-door, it's running good..photo-30.jpg

I forgot how much port work was done on the head, it runs good but I think the stock L16 manifold is choking it, There is about 1/4"+ difference in port size between the mani and the head. I might put my Offy manifold and syncro 32/36 on it later and see if that makes a difference, it has bigger ports so I think it will improve.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Brodster and Datwifey, I now have a passenger door handle! I like this look better than totally shaved. I won't feel bad leaving it this way, it's easier to open the back door now and makes the car a little more useful I think. photo-31.jpg

Holy shit, that door damn near matches the paint scheme already on it (with the exception of the BRE stripes)! :w00t: