could this be my problem? with oics

So I haven't driven the goon much, being it was non running most of the time I had it, and got it running the day I moved and dropped it off at a friends house for storage the next day. We had issues with the alternator, and we swapped out a fresh battery on the side of the road to get it going and for some reason the alternator problem went away. Other than that the turn signalsdont work and some other kind of expected electrical quirks.

I drove from roseburg to eugene to get it the other day and had to mess with the fusebox a lot to get any power through the car. Starter was weak when it finally worked. We drove around eugene all day before going back to see if I would have any more problems.

The starter worked fine for awhile aftr that, and slowly had a harder time turning over. As the day progress I had to bump the key a few times to get the starter to do anything. As we got on the highway to go back I stopped and got gas. Couldn't get the car to start, so we pushed started. Drove with no problems for awhile except she started running rougher and rougher, then 15 mile away from home she overheated spitting water everywhere. We pulled off and the car shut down before I could do anything. When it cooled down I couldn't get any power to the car at all.

I can't get the light on, the ignition light, nothing. I couldn't push start.

So I checked the fusebox again. I saw smoke once while starting it. I pulled it apart and it looked like this

IMAG1761.jpg

IMAG1762.jpg

IMAG1758.jpg

I can see on the orange paint underneath where its been burning. That paint is 6 months old, and the car has only run a total of 3 days this past year.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New fuse box ... or a generic fusbox .... or bypass with individual jumper blocks ... <--- with protectors and mounted.

Sooner than later .. stop driving that before the shit melts the box and burns out wires or worse ...

^^^^ happened to me right in front of a cop 3 weeks after buying it ... i was frieken 15 blocks away from my house lol

Check everything in that circuit ...

Looks fine

Clean the contacks and replace that one old fuse.

You could put soem mylar tape under the fuse box as a isolation.

most proplems with these type of boxes is weather corrosiion giving a high resisitance.

everybody should buy one of these to plug in the cig lighter or wire a version up. to monior the batter/alternator so you cwn spot whats happening before you get stuck on the side of the road.

http://www.equus.com/Product/3721/Battery-Monitor

sounds like your alternator went out or wasnt charging and just ran off the battery till it died. If you had the above you would have seen this comming sooner.

Trust me it works and its cheap. Soon as you see a no charge go Home ASAP. or find proplem

There is no power even after putting a fresh battery in now. I had it towed the final 13 miles to my house. It moved from seattle down to here though by itself until this.

There are some seriously corroded pieces so I think its probably best to buy a new fusebox.

You could put soem mylar tape under the fuse box as a isolation.

Cut a piece out of a plastic milk bottle, punch holes where the mounting bolts go through and you will have a good insulating membrane under your fuse box. It will still burn if you don't find and fix the causing problem. Problem might just be a piece of wet debris or strand of clipped wire under the fuse block so clean, clean, clean before rebolting everything together.

There is no power even after putting a fresh battery in now. I had it towed the final 13 miles to my house. It moved from seattle down to here though by itself until this.

There are some seriously corroded pieces so I think its probably best to buy a new fusebox.

Vinegars worth a quick shot if it "looks" worthy haha. Remember to preserve contacts in something after so they don't get eaten further.

Hainz is right.

Before anything you need to check for an alternator/power draw.

youtube has videos, and all you need is a multimeter.

Just plan out an off day.

Label each wire to be transferred, and

make sure new box will transfer over the way you wish it to.

Grab your electrical equipment, wire, terminal ends, adapters, shrinkwrap with a heatgun or lighter if needed ( careful )/etc.

Before tearing all apart, go down and buy a "test light" ( Multi-meter works to) ... to see if power is getting to main circuit(s)

If no power reading back ,, then trace/probe back that individual circuit ... at multiple points .... until a reading is acheived or broken/corroded wire is found in main/engine harness. Or even a bad relay/ground ( who knows? )

Good luck.

when my 521 does this I look immediatatly at the battery cable at starter to the fuse box.

Fusable link. main fuse going in.

What I do is put the lights on. See if they are ON,if NOT. then sart cleaning, moving wires around then if lights come on. then look to see what the proplem is.Of coarse you got a good battery.

Like in my recent post in the eleltrical section measure the volatage drop between the battery post and the cable with the key On.Maybe the batt cable end is bad?????? But usually you get soem voltage to the fuse box.

Example put a low load on like a dome light.

Hainz this is exactly what I did. There was no power at first until I messed with the fusebox, then I coulld hear the power running through. I would leave my lights on to see when power ran though.

I checked the posi cable and it looks good, negative is bad but workable. There was some water that got under my fusebox then as I said I overheated and sprayed water everywhere under the hood. that's when it took a crap.

I couldn't get anything after that, so I pulled my fusebox and there was a puddle underneath and the smell of burning metal.

I touched the connectors with my pliers while it was hooked up and got a spark so I know power is getting to the fusebox, just nowhere afterwards.

I'm going to take everyones advice. First pull the box (not the first time, you can see the neon green tape in the photos from me marking them before) and see if its really salvagable, if not I will buy a generic one.

Of course hainz I will buy a voltometer so I'm not wasting my time.

when my 521 does this I look immediatatly at the battery cable at starter to the fuse box.

Fusable link. main fuse going in.

What I do is put the lights on. See if they are ON,if NOT. then sart cleaning, moving wires around then if lights come on. then look to see what the proplem is.Of coarse you got a good battery.

Like in my recent post in the eleltrical section measure the volatage drop between the battery post and the cable with the key On.Maybe the batt cable end is bad?????? But usually you get soem voltage to the fuse box.

Example put a low load on like a dome light.