L16 dual Weber DCOE

datrat

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap the coolant line.

You could run the PCV with a valve to that threaded port on the manifold. Might need a t-fitting to run the power brake booster there as well.

Or, a lot of people just run the PVC without the valve to a catch can on the firewall.

you may try and put the intake on and hope it seals.

What I do is use a 1/4 inch pipe plug(1/4 is the size of the allen wrench used)

You thread the coolant port and put the pipe plug in untill flush.

You need a short threaded shaft type so it doesnt go to far in and hit the otherside. it is tapered so you might have to do it a couple times untill the plug is flush or just under. This will be sure there will be no leaks.

The water inlet side, I just use a bolt in the hole method.

the PVC I open vent it.(nothing hooked up)

Here's a little update on what I've done. The battery needs to charge before I can start it. I'm pretty sure this is overkill and its too much gas into an L16 but it will have to do until I can find an L20b...or think of something else.

o143137823.jpg

Capped the coolant supply

o143137789.jpg

Ran a hose to a breather

o143137785.jpg

Installed a weber 32/36 throttle to fit the stock cable.

o143137782.jpg

Took out an airhorn because of brake booster.

o143137772.jpg

Oh yeah, I put a shorty in it.

Hey man,

Get that airhorn back on there or you will never get the curve right when you tune those carbs. They aren't just for good looks you know. You can get a narrow K&N filter if you have clearance issues. Other than that, clean install.

thanks for the tips. it is a 1973. i will get shorter horns. i have another issue though. it looks like a gas leak from the intake, but i'm not sure. i've torqued all bolts according to the manual except the lower outers which hug the intake and header. there's no way i'm getting sockets of any kind in there. after it warms up, a bit of white smoke flows upward. what does it look like to you guys?

o143586106.jpg

The heavy washers are there for the lower bolts. Is that gas seepage on the gasket though? It seems to be seeping into the exhaust ports. The white smoke is possibly paint. It does smell that way.

The hose from the crankcase goes to a breather. There is no more PCV. I left it stuck to my old manifold.

thanks for the tips. it is a 1973. i will get shorter horns. i have another issue though. it looks like a gas leak from the intake, but i'm not sure. i've torqued all bolts according to the manual except the lower outers which hug the intake and header. there's no way i'm getting sockets of any kind in there. after it warms up, a bit of white smoke flows upward. what does it look like to you guys?

o143586106.jpg

Several lower bolts clamp the exhaust and the intake using a large thick 'washer'. If the intake flange and the exhaust flange are different thicknesses the washer will clamp unevenly across them.

Because this manifold does not have a common chamber, having a working PCV will be difficult to make. Consider having one as there are definite benefits.

What size are the venturis? From what I have read you need about 30mm chokes in a 16oocc.

dd:fu:

The chokes are 30mm. Thats about where it needs to be for a 1600. Max rpm is at about 5600, and looking on the curve, 30mm venturis should do it.

this?

It is possible that replacing the existing dual brake master cylinder with the part number 46010-N0110 single brake master cylinder might clear the interference. This was the NISMO recommended cure for retrofitting SSS induction system SU carbs to type L engines in sedans. Part numbers are from the 1997 Nismo catalog.

The velocity stacks clear the mc. Its definitely the booster. I think the only solution is to get short velocity stacks like this:

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Images/Catalog/ah829trumpet.jpg

I'm not sure but I think they're about 30 bucks each.

Oh, and I went through 2 other master cylinders before I got a good one. I don't remember how many quarts of fluid I went through or how tired my arm got from pumping. I don't want to mess with the brakes for a while.