Electronic distributor

So I bought a electronic distributor at napa for a 79 Datsun pick up for my 74 Datsun 610. I thought cause its the same engine it would work so I connect it to the coils and it's not giving a spark cuz I can't return it now cuz the guys at napa are dicks does any of u guys know how I'd get it to work ? Il get a pick of it up soon thanks so much

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '79 truck WAS a matchbox. You'd better post a picture so we can see. They may have sold you something else.

What do you mean it doesn't work???

It won't start?

OR it has no spark?

Have you checked for spark or assumed there is none because it won't fire up???

I've got a '79 EI dizzy in my '74 and '76 710s so they do fit and work. It has to be made to work, it just doesn't drop in and go.

Has to be wired this way and you need a '78 and up coil. The points coil will heat up and fry so get the right one.

EIwiringtocoil.jpg

The '79 truck WAS a matchbox. You'd better post a picture so we can see. They may have sold you something else.

What do you mean it doesn't work???

It won't start?

OR it has no spark?

Have you checked for spark or assumed there is none because it won't fire up???

it has no spark i check the spark ...i put in new spark plugs and cap and coil

610 has a standard L20 in it..its not a swap

Ha! Stupid wikipedia says '75 for first production of L20B! Apparently they are full of it :D

I run that '78 remote module dizzy in my '72 truck. Since your harness isn't wired for the stock module, you can easily use a 4-pin GM HEI module. Red dizzy wire to module terminal W, green dizzy wire to module pin G, new wire from module pin C to coil-, new wire from module pin B to coil +. Eliminate resistor, and be sure to use an EI coil. The little module mounts easily w/ 2 screws usually mount by the coil to keep wiring clean. Another thought, the new dizzy might be clocked differently than your old one. Causing rotor to not be directly under cap terminal when coil is triggered to fire. This will cause a no spark. You can put motor at TDC and look under the cap to be sure the rotor is right under the cap terminal. If it's not, you can drop the oil pump spindle and rotate a few teeth until it's clocked right.

Your car doesn't have the box. They were only in '78 trucks. That's why it'd be easiest to do a gm module. Othereise you gotta mount that clunky module under the hood, or get a buncha wire and make a harness so it can mount under right side of dash where it normally goes. That would suck. You can pull a gm module from a early '80 gm truck (inside the dizzy) save yourself a lot of trouble. I could ship you a stock box if you insist on keeping it nissan...

Well il try looking for the gm midule at the. Junkyard today do u kno were in the truck it is if not... Do u have the wiring for the Nissan box and how much would it be for me to buy it from u

You can find 'em on most any early 80's GM truck. Take the distributor cap off, and it's mounte inside the dizzy, like the module on a Honderp. It's really your best bet, because if you use that stock module, you'll want it inside the cab cuz it's big and ugly, and not weather proof. The GM module however, IS fairly weather proof, and is very small. Also way easier to find than the '78 Datsun module. You can buy them new as well at any parts store ( $30-$50). The modules I have are garbage to me, you could have one for the shipping cost, I just can't emphasize enough you should go the GM module route. Let me know what you figure out.

Just go to another parts store other than the one you went to, and buy a HEI GM module, I beleave they are not that expensive, and wire it like the photo datzenmike posted.

You have to know/understand where to look for them at the wrecking yards, I personally have never found one yet, I rarely find a complete distibuter in the yards, someone else always beats me there.

Here is the wiring photo datzenmike published.

GMHEIconnections.jpg