Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

15x8 0 offset w/ 205/55/15s.

I had the luck of having Erichwaslike stop by to pick up some stuff for one of his builds. He spent of few minutes troubleshooting my welds (i was pretty disappointed with them). Although i had the settings correct I was having a lot of trouble not burning through. He looked at my nozzle (i don't know what it is called) and was like dude, do you have another one? I looked around and sure enough i was using the FCAW nozzle, which blocks the gas ports. I threw the other nozzle on and voila.... perfect weld. D'oh!!!!!

So now I'm grinding down all the old welds and starting over trying to do proper welds (the others were SHITTY). I'll post pictures up as soon as I can knock them out! :D

Also, my wastegate took a shit, so when i was driving yesterday so i was boosting > 20psi. I think i was up close to 30 before i noticed. I had to use my right foot as the boost controller the whole way home (which was fine, i don't drive like an asshole on the road). Here's a pic from Terminal Island in the port of LA.

578976_10200310041105251_1844413824_n.jp

Here is a pic of our datsuns together. The styling of this truck is AWESOME. I LOVE IT.

525039_10200316429504957_1904660677_n.jp

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason i cut/flared the rear end is because i am probably going to need to run larger wheels some point soon and I want the front/rear to look consistent (bubble flares). I was able to grind down/reweld the driver's side. It's nice and flat and I'm pretty happy how it turned out. Should be able to do the passenger side tuesday night.

Sorry no pics of that yet. Going to aim for getting the driver's side epoxied on tuesday as well.

Throw back thursday!

My first dime. A 71 2 door with an l20b, cannon intake manifold, and dual 40mm side drafts. I loved that engine. Also, my 88 mistubishi starion which was my first turbo car. That thing was beastly. 2.6 4 cylinder with a td05. The only shitty thing about it was the throttle body injection. If only i knew how to setup a haltech back then... geez!

155505_1585762135552_5879682_n.jpg

Decided to just flip my damn crossmember like everyone else. so here goes my first attempt at flipping a crossmember. Wish me luck! These pictures are from last night.

I have two. one had some shit on top for the V8 it used to have and the other is a stock 510 crossmember.

524179_10200348927477386_1328677933_n.jp

Cleaning it up where I need to cut/weld. I'm going to do this to the whole thing and coat it in black gloss :)

407979_10200348927437385_1057031844_n.jp

Some itty bitty welds to hold this bitch on.

65254_10200348927517387_83292977_n.jpg

Right now my car is in the air and i've cut the crossmember into sections. I'm starting to weld. More pics soon!

My steering issue is resolved (now i get full lock both directions). Super stoked! Minor problem... now I have clearance issues with my exhaust and the master cylinder and body. I also have a hood clearance issue LOL. I'm pretty sure I can swap the motor mount from the passenger side to the driver's side to even the motor out and I should be good there. Swapping mounts may make a little more room for the exhaust too, which is good. That ebay crossmember is the bane of my existence, ha ha ha! It's caused so many problems.

Anyway. That's good news though. I'm happy to be making forward progress! While i'm adjusting the turbo elbow, I'm going to move the oxygen sensor bung so it's about 6" from the turbo instead of 2" so i'll be getting a more accurate reading and extend it's life. I adjusted the caster and camber while i was at it so now I'm tucked, low and cambered out. 

That's about it.  It looks like she'll be in the garage for a while but when this happens it forces me to work on other things, which is also good. I haven't been able to work on the fenders this weekend, but that's ok because i got a lot of other stuff done that needed to get done. 

• Like 1

Can't drive right now. When I started the car something was knocking. I hope I didn't fuck anything up. The engine is at a weird angle, the front is up much higher then the rear. I started it and there was a knocking sound I blipped the throttle from the engine bay and it increased with rpm so I shut it off. I'm hoping its just the angle of the engine putting pressure on the crank from the input shaft... And that no damage has been done to my motor. That's why I ordered the 510 mounts to hopefully correct the height. Keep your fingers crossed for me please.

There's no oil leaking from the rear seal or anything like that so I hope it will just go away once I swap these in... But I had to return the engine crane too, so I'm stuck until I can buy one.... :(

Can't drive right now. When I started the car something was knocking. I hope I didn't fuck anything up. The engine is at a weird angle, the front is up much higher then the rear. I started it and there was a knocking sound I blipped the throttle from the engine bay and it increased with rpm so I shut it off. I'm hoping its just the angle of the engine putting pressure on the crank from the input shaft... And that no damage has been done to my motor. That's why I ordered the 510 mounts to hopefully correct the height. Keep your fingers crossed for me please.

There's no oil leaking from the rear seal or anything like that so I hope it will just go away once I swap these in... But I had to return the engine crane too, so I'm stuck until I can buy one.... :(

my mazda pick up does this when started after long periods of inactivity... usually it goes away after 30 seconds...its a new crate motor with a warranty so i just give it a second and it stops....lol but i dont drive my mazda like u drive the ca....;lol

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, it was just the angle of the engine. i put the 510  mounts in and tried to bolt it up, but i need spacers for under the 510 mounts. They're a little too thin... but that's ok. I'll fix that tomorrow.

I picked up a 280zx speedo drive assembly so i can see how fast I'm going now. I just need an auto trans speedometer cable now.

532685_10200424902656718_703769580_n.jpg

Here are the mounts. Yay!

534056_10200426550057902_332785838_n.jpg

Oops. I forgot i need a spacer for the 510 mounts to work because they are MUCH thinner than the CA mounts. I'm going to have to fab something up. I saw that NCR did a metal spacer. I was thinking about just welding together 6 pieces of flat bar and drilling holes (reinforce the holes with a metal tube) because that's what i have available. Does anyone have any other ideas that sound better than this?

Yes, they are 510 mounts. I read a thread where a guy measured them and said they were only 2mm taller so i just got 510 mounts. Probably going to do the solid metal for now until i can get confirmation one way or the other. Possibly just make solid mounts... although to be honest i don't want solid mounts so we'll see.

Well from looking at pictures, the 620 mounts are definitely larger. I called autozone and placed an order. Should be here in a day and a half. Pretty excited about that. Gonna pull the damn crossmember again tonight and throw in the mechanical speed sensor and hopefully spend some time wiring the stupid fucking temp gauge.

word.

i'm excited so idk why i was swearing and sounding pissed.

I plan to move the majority of my wiring for the engine stuff inside the passenger compartment, so i started unwrapping the harness I saw a lot of butt connectors. Most of these are on wires only the 240sx uses and not things that the 510 needs. I got some inspiration after seeing Topher's and John's engine bay and how Indy put the harness for his KA wagon up on the wall and presumably re-wrapped/trimmed down the harness to necessities. I want to do the same thing. I want a clean engine bay :)

10109_10200434178088598_367548868_n.jpg

I also started testing continuity, bulbs, gauges on my gauge cluster and labeling all the wires coming out of the cluster. So far so good! The only issue i ran into is that i have no voltage regulator on my harness for my fuel/temp gauge. Not sure what to do there. I posted in ratsun in the electrical section so hopefully i can get some answers. I really want to use the stock gauge cluster and the least amount of aftermarket gauges as possible. I plan on getting rid of that ridiculous a-pillar gauge pod as soon as I can knock some of these items out. 

560118_10200432059835643_978805189_n.jpg

And last but not least, I showed my GF this and wrote the words "GTX3071r w/a .63 turbine housing". She said she wants a supercharger on her mustang, not a ring. Sounds like we have a deal :)

553991_483392135049989_225776340_n.jpg

• Like 1

Damn, that is one hell of a butt kludge! Before my cars re-wire, i was having all sorts of intermittent problems. A majority of them turned out to be broken wires in the butt connectors. Others were wrong sized wires.... All fixed now tho! 
I admire that you are taking on the wiring. I would never trust myself to do that! Hahaha

#wiringsucks

i would rather do wiring than anything body related. I can test wiring before I mess something up permanently (multimeter) but doing something wrong on the body is really bad. I don't have experience in body work and wouldn't be able to fix it. I don't plan on ever getting good at it so I have no desire to learn it either.

Did you see what indy did for his wiring harness? I'm going to do the exact same thing (and remove all the unnecessary shit). Here's a pic.

5981.jpg

65673-1.jpg

2322.jpg

6439497341_45d083b93f_b.jpg

I can't find the one where the harness was up on the wall and separated into components... but perhaps I'm merging two build threads in my head. I'm super tired and ready for vacation... 10 days... yes!