New Datsun 411 owner, have some questions....

Well i just got a 1967 Datsun 411 SSS, its running and everything, the only problem is it is not shifting out of first gear, it has a 3 speed automatic transmission, it did shift at some point, after a drive, it got stuck in 1st gear, i was thinking into putting in a 1600 roadtser 4 speed manual transmission, but was wondering if the driveshaft will still work???

anybody know?? or does anyone know how to fix this 3 speed auto??

thanks in advanced.

p.s: the car has the R16 motor with su's. (same motor as the roadster)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i just got a 1967 Datsun 411 SSS, its running and everything, the only problem is it is not shifting out of first gear, it has a 3 speed automatic transmission, it did shift at some point, after a drive, it got stuck in 1st gear, i was thinking into putting in a 1600 roadtser 4 speed manual transmission, but was wondering if the driveshaft will still work???

anybody know?? or does anyone know how to fix this 3 speed auto??

thanks in advanced.

p.s: the car has the R16 motor with su's. (same motor as the roadster)

The BW auto has a mechanical downshift, not a vacuum one like the American BW. Since it did shift once, I suspect that the downshift cable on the SU linkage has jumped out of its "socket" or has been pulled out of engagement. Have a knowledgable mechanic check and adjust the shift cable before spending $800. If worst comes to worst, the Whitney catalog used to have rebuild kits for this transmission, it was used in Mercury Capris, some Chrystler compacts, and just about every European automobile. I have seen kits in Kragen also, just be sure its the British, not American unit.

also forgot to mention, when it idles, it idles fine, but once its in gear, reverse or drive, it idles for a few seconds then it turns off....as if it had too much of a load which caused it to turn off.....only way to actually let it stay on on gear is to either gas while holding the brake at a street light or raise the idle alot, but then when its put in gear, it jumps very hard..kinda scary...lol

i dont want to damage the transmission so im not driving it at this moment...

The BW auto has a mechanical downshift, not a vacuum one like the American BW. Since it did shift once, I suspect that the downshift cable on the SU linkage has jumped out of its "socket" or has been pulled out of engagement. Have a knowledgable mechanic check and adjust the shift cable before spending $800. If worst comes to worst, the Whitney catalog used to have rebuild kits for this transmission, it was used in Mercury Capris, some Chrystler compacts, and just about every European automobile. I have seen kits in Kragen also, just be sure its the British, not American unit.

how do i check the cable from the su's to the tranny??? havent really seen it, i know theres one on the passanger side of the tranny, havent followed it up yet...

how do i check the cable from the su's to the tranny??? havent really seen it, i know theres one on the passanger side of the tranny, havent followed it up yet...

On the driver's side, there is the shift cable from the transmission coming directly over the air filter housing, clamped to a bracket, and has a clevis pinned to a cam on the shaft that controls the SU carburetters. That's the cable you want to look for. Never grease this cable! I would not recommend trying to adjust it. The correct proceedure involves tapping into the transmission hydraulics and blocking the wheels so that the transmission can be revved. It is time sensitive, in other words you can royally screw the transmission if you rev too long. Take it to a shop, special tools and caution are required. For the fool hardy, Chilton's "Datsun 1961 to 1972" has the step by step proceedure. As a bonus, this book has complete wiring schematics for all 3 versions of the 310/311 roadsters, 410 and 411 wagon, sedan with both manual and automatic transmission [they are different], the Nissan Patrol, 510, 1200 packups and of course the 240Z.

Hey there - I also own 2 RL411's and about to direct more attention under the hood to get them on the road. Wanted to chime in as I might come across the same issues. I look forward to your learning experiences and will share same.

sadie10023

Hey there - I also own 2 RL411's and about to direct more attention under the hood to get them on the road. Wanted to chime in as I might come across the same issues. I look forward to your learning experiences and will share same.

sadie10023

Nice! Post some pics otherwise they don't exist. :D With all these 411s coming out of the woodwork, it's time to get a 410/411 Registry site going.

There's a few differences, but, for the most part RL's use the same R16 engine as the Datsun 1600 roadster, so plenty of engine and manual tranny knowledge on the roadster mailing list and 311s.org.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yall,

If you swap out the RL411 automatic for a manual, I am looking for the automatic and all of it's related stuff. On the manual transmission, here is a tip. Find both a 510 4 speed and a Roadster 4 speed. Use the Roadster main case with the guts/tailshaft and housing from the 510 and you get a short case 4 speed that should work in the RL411 (or so an informed source tells me...)

• 2 weeks later...

You asked for pics - here they are...Well 3 of them for now.

I just got another Roadster and I now have all the Datsuns allowed under restoration project statutes in the state of Texas (they never enforce the law anyway).

They are coming out of storage to the home this weekend - finally.

sadie10023

Picture_bgw_10-29088.jpg

Picture_bgw_10-29028.jpg

i-2_B_L-1.jpg

• Like 1
You asked for pics - here they are...Well 3 of them for now.

I just got another Roadster and I now have all the Datsuns allowed under restoration project statutes in the state of Texas (they never enforce the law anyway).

They are coming out of storage to the home this weekend - finally.

sadie10023

Wow

Very clean

Third car came from California?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a few pictures of that car, since I owned it when that photo was taken. :-) The car was very clean but sadly had been hit in the back. These pictures are circa 2003:

Also check out pictures of the '66 PL411 (that I sold in 2005):

Did you get that white 411 in Sacramento, CA?

• 4 months later...