L20B Heads

73DATSON

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

U-67 are the same as the W-58 with one exception. The W58 has round exhaust ports with round steel liners the U -67 has rectangular exhaust ports.

U-67

motorU-67openleft-1.jpg

W-58 (exhaust liners)

motorW-58head-1.jpg

Close up of liners.

head78L20B620W-58exhaustlinerLarge.jpg

An open chamber head is at least as big around as the cylinder it covers. There will always be an open space above the piston. Here is a U-67 head below. All U-67 heads are open chamber.

motorU-67openhead.jpg

A closed chamber head (also called a peanut head because of combustion chamber shape) will always be smaller than the cylinder it covers. There will be places where the piston at TDC is separated from the head by only the thickness of the gasket. This area is known as the quench or pinch area and is very beneficial. The W-58 is almost always an open chamber but there are some rare peanut W-58 heads.

01300019.jpg

Everyone knows that a 'heart shape' isn't shaped like a real heart but everyone knows what you mean when you say it.

The word peanut can also be used to call something small. A six pack up here is often called a peanut and the closed chamber head is smaller than the open. Closed chamber is also cumbersome with too many big words, peanut is easier and everyone knows what you mean just like when you say heart shape.

You might be thinking of the organ.

Heart shaped chamber is actually heart-shaped. In a flattened way, but still a heart shape. Has a pointed bottom.

Heart figure/symbol

120px-Heart_coraz%C3%B3n.svg.png

And not "everyone knows what you mean" because guys keep asking what peanut head means. Is it possible that "peanut" is just something american 510/Z guys came up with?

Non-L-series guys have been calling the non-pointed closed-chambers "kidney" for a looong time. Kidney shape is not pointed on the bottom.

Are we talking about kidney beans or the internal organ? I've never seen an actual kidney, so I dont have a mental picture. I do know what a peanut looks like, but had never heard the term "peanut head" before I came here, but I knew what you were talking about.

My guess is, if you have to explain peanut to someone, you would also have to explain heart, kidney, and open or closed chamber to them as well.

How many people know that a 'Hemi" is just a term for a hemispherical combustion chamber. Most people dont even know what a combustion chamber is.

pea·nut

   [pee-nuht, -nuht] Show IPA noun

1. the pod or the enclosed edible seed of the plant, Arachis hypogaea, of the legume family: the pod is forced underground in growing, where it ripens.

2. the plant itself.

3. any small or insignificant person or thing.

I'd be inclined to believe peanut to mean a small combustion chamber. It doesn't look like a peanut at all but does resemble more a stylized heart shape. What we call heart shape is actually based on the human heart but has morphed into a simplified and symmetrical shape recognized by all.

• 9 months later...

A smaller or closed chamber head makes more compression.

For example on an L20B a closed chamber head bumps it to 8.903

On an L18 it jumps to 9.00

On an L16 the compression drops to 8.21

Raising the compression ratio one point (8.4 to 9.4) ads only 3-4% more power. That's 3 or 4 hp on an L20B. Not cost effective or worth the bother plus having to run a higher octane gas. However raising it to 10.4 adds about 6.5%, 11.4 adds about 9.5%. Best left to race engines.

It has been refered to a peanut head for a while, as well as closed chamber, I only heard of kidney here on Ratsun, this all really depends on where you are(forums, meets, auto parts store, ect.) on how they refer to differant things in their world.

I posted a link below, I hope it works, it refers to heads from the 620 point of veiw.

early cyl. head ID

It seems that all descriptions are covered in this link.

Quick thread jack so I don't need to make a new thread for a small question about L20 heads... I know the L20 block is aprox. 3/4in taller than an L16 block, but what about the heads? Will the shorter L16 valve covers (with the shorter cover bolts) bolt to an L20 head?

Quick thread jack so I don't need to make a new thread for a small question about L20 heads... I know the L20 block is aprox. 3/4in taller than an L16 block, but what about the heads? Will the shorter L16 valve covers (with the shorter cover bolts) bolt to an L20 head?

They arent shorter? I have a 68 finned cover bolted to a U67 head. Just need shorter bolts.

• 3 months later...

219 or a re-issued 912 L16SSS head. Has large 1.5" intake ports and closed chamber. L20B compression would be 8.9, but U67 would be my second choice with a port match to the intake. Stock compression. If your intake has coolant in the runners you would have to drill two small holes in the head.