narrowing an axle/differential service ...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

easy & simple DIY way of narrowing the 8.8

http://www.stangfix....p?topic=11946.0

Only the explorer 8.8 lsd/disc/31 spline

;)

I think DTP should have enough info now :lol:

pretty sure all the 8.8 axle tubes are pressed and plug welded... that why it is recommended to weld the tubes to the center housing on anything thats going to have a decent amount of power

Dez great diy article! !!!! Thankyou! !!!! :D ( just read it and am encouraged ... had i known they were just plug welded i would definetly would have welded the tubes straight to the housing as well lol ... my experience with diffs has been somewhat limited... but have played with a few hehe ... dive in and learn on shortening my own diff i guess haha :lol: :cool:

510freak and ggzilla.... great info as always. !!!!

I read ... and have read all the stuff posted in here! !! Extremely encouraged.... as i have heavy chain, various hydro rams, metal chop saw , and a pipe bender like the guy the used in the article! !! ... sweet! !!! :)

Many thanks! !!!

Shaggy --- mustang 5.0 , ranger 4x4 , explorer 4x4 , f-150's are common 8.8 differential as well as what ggzilla said to a t !!!!

As a further possible distraction, you could use a center section from an IRS Cobra (expensive) or an LSC optioned Lincoln Mark VIII (cheap). Obviously you would need custom axles but I doubt you'd be able to break it. Aluminum case LSD 8.8:

88332d1294265046-w123-limited-slip-diff-ford8_8aluminumcenterdiff1.jpg

Thunderbirds, Cougars, Eplorers and Expeditions also got variants of that design.

The Ford 8.8 is a differential. It was utilized in many, many rear axle housings, for many Ford, Lincoln and Mercury and Mazda vehicles. For example, type ranger 8.8 into Google.

Does that answer your question?

I know it's a differential. Sorry I should have been clearer. I was talking about the ranger short axle swap.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is curious ...

I picked up (2) ford 8.8" Lsd disc brake rearends...

so i bought a 1998 ford explorer 8.8" Lsd disc brake rear end. (4.10 ratio)

Was planning to keep this for when i got a camaro t5 for behind my 350.

I also bought a 1995 ford mustang 8.8" Lsd disc brake rear end (2.73 ratio)

super low miles (114,000) and car was t-boned ... it already has 4-link brackets on it from factory ....using this since i only have a 4-spd atm and don't want to be doing 3,500rpms @ 55mph down the freeway with a 5,500 redline car ... that and the blairing exhaust in my ear ALL the time :lol:

I am pulling out the original rear-end and suspension out of my z this week.

I will probably set it up first, center the axle and ride height...

I like the flared look and have no problem buzzing out the wheel wells ( and stretching )

I am waiting on wheels ... sellers end .... then i will put on ... get ride height down and decide ...

i talked to dutchman motorsports and i will be having them do the work if i have the axle shortened.

A lot of this can also depend on a wheel offsets as well.

Thanks very much

Dto

As a further possible distraction, you could use a center section from an IRS Cobra (expensive) or an LSC optioned Lincoln Mark VIII (cheap). Obviously you would need custom axles but I doubt you'd be able to break it. Aluminum case LSD 8.8:

88332d1294265046-w123-limited-slip-diff-ford8_8aluminumcenterdiff1.jpg

Thunderbirds, Cougars, Eplorers and Expeditions also got variants of that design.

Ive glanced at this option ... if it wasn't for the cost haha ;) :cool:

Maybe in the future :cool:

If anyone is curious ...

I also bought a 1995 ford mustang 8.8" Lsd disc brake rear end (2.73 ratio)

Might double check the gearing numbers on the Mustang axle, but i thought that the Mustangs of that vintage all came with 3.27 gears, not 2.73...Ive been wrong before though. And 3.27 is still better than 4.10 for the highway.

Might double check the gearing numbers on the Mustang axle, but i thought that the Mustangs of that vintage all came with 3.27 gears, not 2.73...Ive been wrong before though. And 3.27 is still better than 4.10 for the highway.

Appreciated. :) ... 3.27 is actually a Really good all around ratio imho. When i went to buy this, the guy thought it was 3.08's ( which i was very happy with ... ) he bought the wrecked car from his buddy to harvest parts for his own( buddy bought it for his daughter and she got hit ... car sat for 6-7+ years.

Before pulling diff cover ... i took a paint marker to pinion and rotor. I then rotated the pinion 2 and 3/4 times per 1-wheel turn , and i was shocked. I did it again and sure enough 2 and 3/4 per 1 wheel turn. Then pulled the cover off and was happy to see the spring and Lsd clutch packs before i bought. No missing gear teeth is good to ... :lol:

I was as surprised as you to see that high of a gear in a 95 :huh:

Explorer rear end was just over 4 Pinion rotations to 1 wheel rotation.

It will pull along just fine ... have a 3.54 1st gear ... hehe cruiser ;)

In the future this will be behind a 400sbc .. muahaha

Those 2.73s are going to be a great match with the deep first in your Saginaw. I ran that same transmission in an old ford with a 2.79 8" and it was just about perfect on the street. I'm sure it would have been less than optimal for track use since there's such a jump between 3rd and 4th but all-in-all a great combination. I think you'll like it.

Those 2.73s are going to be a great match with the deep first in your Saginaw. I ran that same transmission in an old ford with a 2.79 8" and it was just about perfect on the street. I'm sure it would have been less than optimal for track use since there's such a jump between 3rd and 4th but all-in-all a great combination. I think you'll like it.

Sweet deal Driven! I was thinking the same :) , but i wasn't 100% sure though haha.

Makes me feel more confident that someone else ran practically the same setup , and likes this as an all around great combo!

:cool:

Probably no track for me ... idk yet ... :lol: :)

This is good!!!! :D

Man, I almost forgot. I ran the same transmission in my Rambler wagon too with a 2.76 Mopar rearend. Later I swapped in a Firebird T5. It reeeeeeaaaaaalllllly wanted to go fast on the freeway. Probably would have been better matched to something like a 3.23 or 3.42. I remember that T5 having a pretty low first gear too.

Man, I almost forgot. I ran the same transmission in my Rambler wagon too with a 2.76 Mopar rearend. Later I swapped in a Firebird T5. It reeeeeeaaaaaalllllly wanted to go fast on the freeway. Probably would have been better matched to something like a 3.23 or 3.42. I remember that T5 having a pretty low first gear too.

:lol: ... that's awesome! !! :cool: