narrowing an axle/differential service ...

Okay,

Long story short ... sbc is sitting in my project zcar .... as a backup situation ... if i keep breaking rear end parts ( for whatever reason ).... yes yes r200 cLsd ... tripod porsche axles or 300zx axles, ,, modern motorsports adaptors and chrome molt stub axles ... etc ... i have researched hours of this lol.

I am looking up at picking up a ford 9" diff ... and having it shortened for the zcar.... hard to beat being able to beat on one, and change 3rd members by slipping one out and the other one in.

Is there a local place in Portland,or area that you guys trust? .... experience?

I really like moserengineering.com ... build your own 9" rear end housing and shipped to you ... lol

I am going to talk to six States distributors soon if i go this route ( i have replaced frame rails, floor pans, and making bracing points/mounting points .... panhead and four link ball end joints, etc ... are readily available from kegs and summit racing ...

Opinions are welcome, ,, i dont care if it rides rougher lol .... i am aware of the weight increase ...

Realistically I will probably be keeping my R-200 , 280zx turbo half shafts, 280z stub shafts, yada yada .... i nave a gm 12 bolt posi 3.73 <--- i want higher gears ... but if i am going to spend money on narrowing and putting in a straight axle, ,, i wish to do ford 9"

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know any body that can shorten but the 8 inch would be strong enough to hold up to your power output and a little lighter..and about the same aftermarket support.

The old 8 inch not the newer one. 8.8 or whatever

Thanks b-hamuck .... i have no experience with 8" and will look into it :D

I am planning on having " a little fun " .... with it ....if it goes in ... :lol: ..... not all the time though :D

I usually go overkill ;) .... :lol:

Have Currie do it. Their prices are competitive. They even do 9" IRS. Just get the housing and put any 9" pumpkin it in that you want.

th_HsnCtrShort.jpg

Much appreciated ggzilla! !!

Excellent !!!!!! Bookmarked and looking at this :cool:

Yes, can build the old 8" so that it will be very strong, but using a random stock pumpkin is no guarantee. In stock form it was nowhere near as strong as the 9". They only used it on sixes and the least powerful of the V8s.

By constrast, any old 9" is very strong.

The Ford 8.8" came out about 1985 and is closer to the strength of the stock 9", but has some other issues. The only reason to use the 8.8" is that it is much lighter.

No sweat. I know guys that deal with them quite a bit. Always good reviews.

Yeah man that's great to know! !! Excited lol .... prices are pretty dang good ...

Making a list of what i want right now lol :D

Yes, can build the old 8" so that it will be very strong, but using a random stock pumpkin is no guarantee. In stock form it was nowhere near as strong as the 9". They only used it on sixes and the least powerful of the V8s.

By constrast, any old 9" is very strong.

The Ford 8.8" came out about 1985 and is closer to the strength of the stock 9", but has some other issues. The only reason to use the 8.8" is that it is much lighter.

Yup yup... 8.8 good to... yup issues, but can be remedied :)

the exploder 8.8 disc diff is a tough one,the five oh guys like em.

Tested mine truely(exploder) :lol:

Wasnt a wimpy diff :lol:

Haha :lol: I'm sure you did hahaha... i was looking at those for a bit now.... disc brakes, some Lsd, fairly narrow, ..

Very really option ! People want some coin though to ... errrrr .... still very real option :cool:

They seem a bit on the spendy side,just need to find a pos exploder and tear the diff out.

They like it cause of the spline count/disc/lsd

Yup yup hearing ya man thanks and looking :cool:

Well in the end it is cheaper if Lsd .... :lol: .... i don't know the gearing .... but after high gearing wanted Atm ONLY because i will probably be running 4spds and after some cruising ratio ..... :( ..... even though i love low gears ... :lol:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Yup yup hearing ya man thanks and looking :cool:

Well in the end it is cheaper if Lsd .... :lol: .... i don't know the gearing .... but after highs Atm ONLY because i will probably be running 4spds and after some cruising ratio ..... :( ..... even though i love low gears ... :lol:

getter dun :cool:

getter dun :cool:

:cool:

240z = 53"

Explorer 96ish-2000 = 59.75"....aprox don't quote melol

^^^ ratios around 3.73 and 4.10 aprox ... don't quote me ... damn would be killer for overdrive or 5spd .... :cool:

Damn close to stick in and flare fenders. .. with mustang wheels ... :cool: :lol:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

:cool:

240z = 53"

Explorer 96ish-2000 = 59.75"....aprox don't quote melol

^^^ ratios around 3.73 and 4.10 aprox ... don't quote me ... damn would be killer for overdrive or 5spd .... :cool:

Damn close to stick in and flare fenders. .. with mustang wheels ... :cool: :lol:

;) :)

They seem a bit on the spendy side,just need to find a pos exploder and tear the diff out.

They like it cause of the spline count/disc/lsd

I've been looking for one of these..I guess I don't know where to look. 8.8, LSD and disc brakes.....WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!?!?!?

You should have seen the PickNPull yards during Cash4Clunkers. At one time there were over 40 Explorers in Sherwood. Obviously, they weren't all the magic 3.73/LSD/disc combo but someone with some spare cash and the willingness to get dirty could have made some good money hoarding Explorer rearends.

Common on Mustangs, aren't they?

1986-1988 t-bird turbo coupe

1986-1988 Continental

Thankyou for expanded car options :)

Mustangs? I think yes and no ... i see a lot of drums and some discs, ,,, some posi and some not.... but that's just my personal experience :) .... ( i could def be wrong ;) )

All Mustang GTs are Limited Slip, at least the ones with the 8.8. Just say NO to posi, and yes to LSD.

But most Mustangs are drum brake, some are disc.

Rangers have 8.8. Guys buy an extra short axle, and narrow just the one side. Then it's about 53", just right for a Datsun.

Yup!

Haha :lol: ... i use posi and Lsd terms interchangeably .... haha

Hey! !!!! Great info and neat trick !!! That's great ggzilla! !!! I will look this il, bookmarks, and writedown :D

Ranger 4x4's

All Mustang GTs are Limited Slip, at least the ones with the 8.8. Just say NO to posi, and yes to LSD.

But most Mustangs are drum brake, some are disc.

Rangers have 8.8. Guys buy an extra short axle, and narrow just the one side. Then it's about 53", just right for a Datsun.

would you expand on this a little. Obviously I'm not searching for the right stuff. I thought that the rear ends were out of 97ish Explorers. A lot of the truck site I've been reading always say explorer. But if I could source one from another car, that would be great.