Cross country trip checklist help.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of sounding paranoid, I would add a complete KA gasket set. No telling what might spring a leak along the way and not 100% chance of getting the one gasket in Grand Forks or Buffalo in less than a week's time.

Well you could, but I would trust your equipment. Maybe re-torque the head bolts with the engine cold... and forget about it. Head gasket blowouts are very rare. You should be able to locate everything you may need in the towns along the way. Check the tranny and diff fluid levels and then forget them. I've driven 2,800 miles to Ontario and then back in my 620 at least 8 times. Gas was all I used. Used less than a liter of oil most trips. Oh I did have a wheel bearing start growling about 800 miles from my dad's. These things can be driven for thousands of miles like that. (I changed it) My vented gas cap failed and the tank imploded about 50 miles out. Just fixed it there. One headlight blew... that's all I can remember over about 10 years. On the flat road you only need about 8-12 hp to pull the vehicle along depending on the wind. Prepare and be prepared and then enjoy the trip. Trust your vehicle.

So far all amazing suggestions. I will have the following covered:

Tools, misc bolts, fasteners, duct tape, clamps and fluids

A spare 5 gallon gas can (full)

Fluids (brake, antifreeze, 80w-90)

Electrical repair items and spare relays, also a spare ka ecu

The ka is fresh and nice. Sealed tight with no leaks. The KA is a torque to yield head bolt setup, so the bolts were all torqued up in step, loosened, stepped up again and then turned 85 degrees to tight, so I know that there won't be any ehead problems, as I also put a factory Nissan thermostat in as well. Trans was refurbished about 40k before swapped, all u joints are new, and I changed out to the 3.50 gears so fluid wise we are in amazing shape. All the brakes are new, and all bracketry used for the disc swap will be checked for torque before leaving. I repacked the front wheel bearings a few hundred miles ago and the preload is set great. The only x factor that could be a serious serious setback would be if the fuel pump were to give out. I swapped in the 93 hardbody tank, so it is in-tank. Dropping the tank would be no huge deal, but I will have fingers crossed there.

I had the bench seat all recovered and refoamed after canby and it is comfy, but I will bring my pillows just in case. I have hid headlights which are nice and bright, and provide a much better view of the road.

So many amazing suggestions so far. This is going to be quite the experience.

Keep all of the stories and suggestions coming!

Yeah, 55 wont happen. The 620 cruises at 85-90 smooth as silk without feeling like the engine is even working at all.......something I only dreamed of doing with the l20. I have cranked out 32 hiway with it already just going to spokane. The CanDy trip will show some real life numbers.

I will make truck driver ice teas all the way, bro!

Bring at least 4 gallons of fresh water with you. For drinking, and if there are radiator issues. I'll box up some love for you too. :( I'm going to miss you Bill! It's a good thing you're going to CanDy. :P

Looks like they require annual inspections there for safety. Like Idaho, there is only one county which requires emissions testing. Fortunately we will not reside in that county. It does look like all window tint is illegal there, which sort of sucks because I tinted the 620 and just got done tinting my girls car.

EDIT: Looks like 35% is as dark as you can go. We went with 35% but it measures out about 32%, so hopefully we will be all good.

Good looking out.

sweet man, CARB is california's greatest contribution to clean air, and it's biggest headache to car people. hopefully the safety inspection thing doesn't extend beyond it's grasp (or is it grasp exceeds it's reach?)

CA has similar tint laws, and it's hard to prove you're legal thus everyone is illegal if the ossifer wants to cite you they will and it'll stick.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

So yeah, ressurecting this little thread as we are t-minus 20 days until the 620 hits the road for Maine. SO much has been done in preparation. Looking over every system in the truck, replaced carrier bearing, re routed some wiring and prepared my tow package. Made my own receiver hitch to tow my newly refurbished trailer. Going to miss the PNW but so excited for Maine!

You should think about picking up a book (if you haven't already...) called: The Next Exit, it's easy to use and very helpful out here Over The Road. I use that along with my 2012 National Truck Stop Directory...they both make my life out here so much easier. You'll find them at any of the big four truck stops for about $15.00 each. Good luck and have a Safe trip! Jersey