Blanco the Winter Wagon

carterb

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm thinking it would be cool to run an air dam of some sort. Here are a couple test fits. I bought a pair of scrappy air dams from Quik510 just for this project. The first is Dobi-like air dam.

blanco_air_dam_trial_1_.JPG

blanco_air_dam_trial_2_.JPG

The second is a BRE type spook. It's pretty rough but matches the patina of the car.

blanco_spook_trial_1_.JPG

blanco_spook_trial_2_.JPG

Both look scary low to me. Can you even go over a speed bump with these things?

What do you guys think?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've designed thousands of parts that others have manufactured as part of my job. I've used a mill before to cut slots, drill holes, trim heights, and other modifications to existing parts before. But Friday I made my first scratch built Datsun parts. Four little stand-offs for some air cleaner assemblies. I bored and tapped 1/2" aluminum stock and added a pair of 11mm wrench flats, then soda blasted them. I realize it's pretty simple stuff for a few of you here but I'm happy with them.

BLANCO_AIR_CLEANERS_05262012_2_.JPG

And here they are in the car.

BLANCO_AIR_CLEANERS_05262012_3_.JPG

BLANCO_AIR_CLEANERS_05262012_5_.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

thats awesome i bet it was slammed with all that counter weight...looks great...are those 280 struts?

Didn't change the ride height much but there was sure a lot of creaking and squeaking from up top...

I'm running 510 struts cut to 280zx length. I didn't want to bother with the larger brakes on this car.

--carter

nice ... i am trying to score a set of sno flakes from so cal ...but i am running 280 struts.....i love the fitament on your fronts.....,,,never was a real sno flake fan till i seen them on your goon... then the search began... after my goon gets finito we will have to meet up for a ratsun photo shoot...and i got a tool belt so we can bang on your house....although your house looks like it will be finished before my wagon...

your in lynwood.. was up there tuesday vistin my father talking and checking out his partners new ride...(the guy has no tsste so it was worth the drive/giggle..) plus i got a customer i was delivering some powdercoated machine parts, and some hand rail for a school, to in redmond

what size tires are those 195 50

• 4 months later...

Well, winter is approaching and so I have started to drive my bluebird less and my wagon more.

I fixed the parking/dash lights (corroded connection at fuse box) and finally mounted the SU choke cable (it was sticking out the radio hole in the dash) but otherwise, I just put in gas and drive. It has been amazingly reliable for something I threw together last year. The L20 seems down on power (even for a smog head) but I have never made any attempt to tune it so what do you expect. It starts on the first crank, runs all day, and shuts off immediately without dieseling. Can't beat that!

So I was struck at work the other day as I walked out to my car

11012012_winter_wagon.JPG

There was a monsterous BMW parked next to it. That thing is HUGE! Just look at it!!! The 510 wagon isn't really a small car (compared to a 1200 or mini or whatever) but that BMW makes it look like a toy! They are both essentially 4dr wagons and probably have similar interior volume. It's not even really an SUV, just a giant car. Silly if you ask me. Probably can't even use the roof rack wihtout a ladder. I'll keep my 510 thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

Blanco didn't come from the PO with seatbelts.

I traded a local guy for a set and have been running them for a year. 

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_2_.JPG

However, I have never felt completely safe in them as they are difficult to latch and un-latch too easy.  The last time I had one of my kids in the car I decided it was time for new belts.  I followed a local craigslist add for some *new datsun seat-belt kits* and it lead me to Z Specialties.  The kits are advertised for a Z car but Oliver (the owner) said they fit many datsuns.  So I placed an order and he shipped them right away.

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_1_.JPG

Installation was super easy and took less than 30 minutes.  And just like that, I have modern, safe, retractable seat-belts in my car.

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_3_.JPG

You can order the kit with a short connector on a belt or a stiff cable.  I got the stiff cable type but next time I'll probably get the type with belt as the receiver doesn't sit at the right angle.

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_4_.JPG

It should really sit like this:

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_5_.JPG

It twists the belt a little when you make the connection but it's not bad I guess.

The diagram shows two lower connection points and includes hardware to mount in one of the open holes in the sill but I was able to use a single mounting point with a spacer washer between the retracter and the anchor. 

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_6_.JPG

They look really nice installed and I will probably buy these for all my datsuns unless someone tells me andover.com or something else is better.

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_7_.JPG

What do you think?

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_8_.JPG

If you want a set, here is the cost and the contact info for Z Specialties (note - he apparently has dozens of z-cars and more parts than you can shake a t/c rod at)

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_9_.JPG

12302012_blanco_seat_belts_10_.JPG

Are you interested in giving up the stock Takata belts? I love seeing the wagon do work... rare you see a stock rack being used.

Honestly, I pulled them for safety concerns, I wouldn't feel good passing them on to someone else.  Unless there is some promise and demonstration of competency and intent to fix them.  I don't like throwing away Datsun parts but they are far less valuable than your life.

--carter

Honestly, I pulled them for safety concerns, I wouldn't feel good passing them on to someone else.  Unless there is some promise and demonstration of competency and intent to fix them.  I don't like throwing away Datsun parts but they are far less valuable than your life.

--carter

Good man. PMd.

two new comments on the seatbelts:

1)  Oliver at Z Specialties says he can modify the end of the cable so that the buckle sits at the correct angle.

2)  Kelvin used similar belts in his SR wagon and just moved the cable from the floor to the tranny tunnel (welding in a washer and nut for support) and that took care of the angle.  He also modified the rocker so that you don't use the same mounting point for both the lap and the shoulder.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelvins_pics/4338542934/in/set-72157594413103015/

I agree that something like this is a good idea.  The kit comes with giant washers and a nut which you can use in one of the open holes in the rocker as previously mentioned. I will likely take time to do this later.

• 2 months later...

Winter was a little cruel today...

I had taken Blanco the winter wagon off the road two weeks ago, parked it in the garage, and “summarized” (re-installed the summer wheel/tire combo, dried it out, got carpets ready to go back in, etc)  I then started collecting all the parts I’m going to swap on to pretty it up when I offer it up for sale here shortly.

Then this morning we woke up to snow.  My heavily cambered coupe does not work in the snow.  My wagon does.  So I drove it.  And after an uneventful 20 minute drive, just a block away from work, in the heavily rutted turn-off lane from the speedway, it was emasculated. 

winterwagon_snow_mishap_03222013_1_.JPG

I drug the spook for 1 block before it finally snapped off when I turned into the parking lot whereupon it was immediately run over by the car behind me.

winterwagon_snow_mishap_03222013_2_.JPG

Poor little spook...  : (