yenpit's 1970 510 4 door beater!

yenpit

I finally got the exhaust done yesterday, so now I can hear!! I bought a $50 s/s muffler on eBay, a s/s flex joint, and had the shop bend up the pipe. I used two s/s "band clamps", which I had never used before, and I'm hoping that they allow me to remove the exhaust any time, without having to cut anything. Works in theory, but I won't test it until I need to!

You can see the flex, and the first band clamp here.............

exhaust1.jpg

A bit blurry, taken at the muffler shop. A better pic of the first band clamp.............

exhaust2.jpg

The second band clamp is right before the rear subframe..................

exhaust3.jpg

These guys have done my exhaust for years, and do nice work cheap!

exhaust4.jpg

I opened up the exhaust "notch" to accomodate the dual tip, and the system has a nice mellow sound, cuz I also had them put in a cherry bomb bullet muffler in the middle.

exhaust5.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spending some time driving, sorting out whatever needs sorting! I tried to lower the front end some more, but my old school adjustable stock spring perches will rub the inside top of the tires, so that's it for now!

ontheroad1.jpg

I got the green 4 door along with the blue car, but man, that poor thing is completely rotted out! Front frame rails, upper fender rails, strut towers, firewall (ABOVE the upper lip!!!), both front & rear subframes AND where both mount to the body.........ALL completely rotted & falling apart!! It's been a great parts car.............

ontheroad2.jpg

Carpet is in, Integra seats are bolted down, stock seat belts are back in (along with the pain-in-the-ass stock shoulder belts, but it keeps the cops away!!).

Played with the timing a l'il more, running great! It's just the original L16, so who knows how many miles are on it, or how much carbon build up there is etc etc.

Finally got the reverse lights working after the AUTO to MANUAL swap. See thread

Well, my mad dash to get this car finished over the last 3 weeks, has been done because I sold it. From day one, I was building this car for me to cruise around in, but had a regional guy that really wanted it, so I let it go. After I got everything done that we agreed on, he picked it up today around 5pm. Sucks :bye: . I hope he enjoys it as much as I have, over the last couple of weeks!

On this car, I modified the original AUTO pedal box. The ONLY mod is somehow attaching an "L" bracket for the clutch return spring, everything else simply swaps over! I had a complete MANUAL pedal box, but choose not to swap the whole thing, as it is alot of work. I simply drilled out the spot welds on the original MANUAL pedal box "L" bracket, and then carefully welded it onto the AUTO pedal box. The clutch pedal pivot mount is all already there on the AUTO box, so you simply swap those parts over, and then swap the brake pedal too. Keep in mind that the brake pedal pivot bolt is LEFT HAND THREAD, meaning that you loosen & remove it clockwise, the clutch bolt is normal. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Yup, had it here at the shop when you guys dropped by! The buyer (Jake) is from Detroit, but goes to Western, so you will see the car cruisin' in K'zoo into the Fall semester, before he takes it home to work on it over the winter. I'm kickin' myself pretty hard this weekend for selling it, but now I'm inspired to dig out the painted shell, or the box-flared SCCA car!!

On this car, I modified the original AUTO pedal box. The ONLY mod is somehow attaching an "L" bracket for the clutch return spring, everything else simply swaps over! I had a complete MANUAL pedal box, but choose not to swap the whole thing, as it is alot of work. I simply drilled out the spot welds on the original MANUAL pedal box "L" bracket, and then carefully welded it onto the AUTO pedal box. The clutch pedal pivot mount is all already there on the AUTO box, so you simply swap those parts over, and then swap the brake pedal too. Keep in mind that the brake pedal pivot bolt is LEFT HAND THREAD, meaning that you loosen & remove it clockwise, the clutch bolt is normal. Hope that helps!

You got any pics of this?? I need to do that to mine.

Sorry, no pics, and the car is gone. I'm pulling a pedal box out of a parts car now, so I'll take a few pics and let you know.

If you are going to do what I did, and you have the MANUAL pedal box in front of you on the bench, look at the clutch pedal return spring. You will need to remove the "L" bracket where the spring hooks to, and then carefully weld that bracket on to the AUTO pedal box that you left in the car. Where you weld that bracket does NOT need to be precisely located, just close. I decided where to put it, clamped it in place, scribed around it, removed it, cleaned off the black paint around where I scribed it, cleaned off the paint on the bracket, re-clamped it in place, and welded it on 3 sides. It is tight up there, with dash wires everywhere, so be very careful!! Again, that is all you need to modify..........the pedals bolt right in!

Congrats on the sale TJ!

I did this to my auto to manual conversion. My auto pedal box had the L bracket. (late 70 model) I had another car where the auto had been swapped out for a manual and however did the swap took a piece of metal about 6" long and 1/4" wide and mounted it to the dash on one end and hooked the clutch return spring to a hole in the other end.

It worked fine.