Lots of gas in the oil...

DaveyDaveDaveDave

Just bought a sweet 77 KC. It has an impressively loud valve tick and had an impressive amount of gas in the oil. Changed the oil before driving it home, and sure enough, its full of gas. In like 35 miles. Ive heard of fuel pumps doing this, but from reading around on the forum, it doesnt seem to be a common issue. Motor is peppy and fires right up, so Im not guessing rings, but havent done a compression check. Any other ideas?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, new fuel pump and valves/lifters getting checked and weber this thurs or fri. Its been two years since I had a datto and damn, its good to have one again. A friend of mine (waaaay better at this shit than me) said the hydraulic tensioner may have something to do with the tick. Thin oil means low pressure and low tension on the chain and may lead to the tick as well?

said the hydraulic tensioner may have something to do with the tick. Thin oil means low pressure and low tension on the chain and may lead to the tick as well?

all the lifters are solid (non hydraulic) and the chain tensioner is just spring loaded....

and the chain tensioner is just spring loaded....

Well there is a hole for oil to push the tensioner also.

tensioer would make more a grinding sound as once it wears out its constant metal grinding. But could maybe be a loose slack side guide shacking around. but more likely its a valve lash adjustment.

Dave if the stock carb works fine just run it. and get a weber and just save it.

If I had a stock carb that works I would run it. they are smooth and halfway decent on the gas milage and quiet with the stock aircleaner.

Polish that red paint and just roll it.Ok lower it also