Noobs from AZ

Gents,

not sure if there is a sections just for new members here, so I just posted in the general...direct me if I need to post somewhere else.

Ive been a regular member on pro-touring.com and lateral-G.net for over 6 years, also an internet rep for Smithrace craft...(dont worry wont be slinging their parts here unless asked)....have owned a few 510s in the early 80s...one of my favs...currently build a PT 67 Camaro.

Came to this site for direction, guidence and to share knowledge with others. The main purpose is to get my 13 year old twins involved with discovering the passion for the hobby/life style. Sunday they purchased a 1974 260z, 85k miles, already media blasted with ALMOST all the parts...lol. Got for 500.00.

I showed them many different photos on the internet, and explained some of the in and outs. They REALLY like the streetfighter/rat look.....which to tell you the truth, once I finish the Camaro and sell it, its what Ill be doing as well.

Anyway, you can imagine the shoe string budget on this Z project, (bank of dad too), I want them to come on here with me and ask how to , convert things and tune on the lower budget.

Im not going to ask them all right now..

but what we will start with...is

bolt on fender flares

lowering

brake conversions

cheep steel black wheel/tire fitment

and Im sure there will be more.

Following the said style.....paint will be a flat matte type, minmum to no extensive body work, killer stance, not a lot of interior work, and no short cuts on sfatey, such as brakes, bushings steering and the like.

Sorry for the long post, hope this site works for us....we were at retrorides...but the site tends to drop out whenever we use it...I think its pro-boards type of setup...this looks like V-bulletine..anyway Ill be picking around here for the rest of the day.

Thanks Bob 623-326-8478

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun!

I'm sure you'll find all the information and more that you need to build your Z.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but be sure to search first. (Do a google search with "ratsun" in your search for the best results)

I too have a 260z, so I know the build isn't going to be too difficult, or hard on your wallet.

ZG fender flares are fairly expensive, unless you buy used. And the stock calipers are actually very good. They are light and extremely effective. So if any brake swap were to occur, it should probably be the rear, swapping from drums to discs.

Welcome to Ratsun!

I'm sure you'll find all the information and more that you need to build your Z.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but be sure to search first. (Do a google search with "ratsun" in your search for the best results)

I too have a 260z, so I know the build isn't going to be too difficult, or hard on your wallet.

ZG fender flares are fairly expensive, unless you buy used. And the stock calipers are actually very good. They are light and extremely effective. So if any brake swap were to occur, it should probably be the rear, swapping from drums to discs.

Thanks for the welcome,

great advice on the searches as well (ratsun)...never thought to include the site in the search.

Your on point with the front discs, I may even hold off on the rears until the boys really start driving. Just read a write up posted by "King Rat" about modifying the stock struts to lower the car.....was great...good way to start the twins out on a suspension mod, low budget, hard work..with a decent end result.

Yeah, Datzenmike is always good for information.

From your question on that post (I spent most of my time on here, lol) you don't have to use the Maxima struts. You can do it on your Z too, just be sure to either get shorter struts, I'm not sure but I think AE86 struts work, or if you aren't planning on going that low, swap out the oil in the strut with the thicker motorcycle fork oil.

I drive my Z almost every day and the brakes are really not an issue at all. I have no problems slowing, or when the situation calls for it, slamming on the brakes. So if they are just going to be street driving it, the rear drums would work nicely.

And the stock calipers are actually very good. They are light and extremely effective. So if any brake swap were to occur, it should probably be the rear, swapping from drums to discs.

sorry dude I gotta dispute that some. stock front calipers are light, yes.

but thats because there fuckin tiny 2 pistons :lol:

best front brake upgrade on the cheap is a set of 4x4 yota 4 piston calipers.

trim the dust shield a bit and its bolt in.

the rears drums with nice shoes and properly set function just fine.

I know plenty of SCCA road racers that will tell you, dont bother going rear disk, a good set drum is plenty fine.

altho rear disks are more convenient.

but unless your swapping to some 6 piston wilwoods and a massive rotor your not going to see much actual function increase.

Yeah, Datzenmike is always good for information.

From your question on that post (I spent most of my time on here, lol) you don't have to use the Maxima struts. You can do it on your Z too, just be sure to either get shorter struts, I'm not sure but I think AE86 struts work, or if you aren't planning on going that low, swap out the oil in the strut with the thicker motorcycle fork oil.

I drive my Z almost every day and the brakes are really not an issue at all. I have no problems slowing, or when the situation calls for it, slamming on the brakes. So if they are just going to be street driving it, the rear drums would work nicely.

Well, until they learn going low sometimes costs more then its worth, they want to go pretty low, they want to use the 15x10 wheels, stretch the tires a bit and have about a .5 inches of daylight between the bolt on flares and the top of the tire, plus a slight rake...looks good to me, just not sure what they will tare up in the future....really I shouldnt care, as long as its safe.

sorry dude I gotta dispute that some. stock front calipers are light, yes.

but thats because there fuckin tiny 2 pistons :lol:

best front brake upgrade on the cheap is a set of 4x4 yota 4 piston calipers.

trim the dust shield a bit and its bolt in.

the rears drums with nice shoes and properly set function just fine.

I know plenty of SCCA road racers that will tell you, dont bother going rear disk, a good set drum is plenty fine.

altho rear disks are more convenient.

but unless your swapping to some 6 piston wilwoods and a massive rotor your not going to see much actual function increase.

Good input, as far as rear disc's I cant agree more, its more so for ease and selling points...lol. Ive seen guys use drums all the way around on Camaros and beat disc brake cars...more so to prove a point...but thats more driving skill then braking in my humble opinion.

By chance when you get time, can you share the yota 4x4 info...Ill at least keep it in mind in case we run across something cheap to free....years..and Im assuming the parts are just the caliper mount rotor binder and backing plate?

Thanks

your looking for the calipers off 79-85 4x4 trucks/84-85 4x4 4Runners stamped S12+8

the calipers bolt right up where the stock ones went.

just need to trim the dust shield a bit since there physically larger.

if you switch to a thicker vented disk youll use the 1986-88 4x4 caliper that is also stamped S12+8 but its got a wider gaping for the thicker vented disk.

attachment.jpg

your looking for the calipers off 79-85 4x4 trucks/84-85 4x4 4Runners stamped S-12+8

the calipers bolt right up where the stock ones went.

just need to trim the dust shield a bit since there physically larger.

if you switch to a thicker vented disk youll use the 1986-88 4x4 caliper that is also stamped S-12+8 but its got a wider gaping for the thicker vented disk.

Great freakin info.....last break question "promise".....what about the bolt pattern...the 74 Z has 4 lugs....I cant imagine the trucks in those years have a 4 bolt pattern...or do they...lol

Great freakin info.....last break question "promise".....what about the bolt pattern...the 74 Z has 4 lugs....I cant imagine the trucks in those years have a 4 bolt pattern...or do they...lol

Datsun 4 lug is 4x114.3

the trucks bolt pattern doesn't matter, all your using is the caliper. you keep your stock disk.

Datsun 4 lug is 4x114.3

the trucks bolt pattern doesn't matter, all your using is the caliper. you keep your stock disk.

Skib,

thanks a pants load...makes total sense, we will stick with solid rotors.....I dont think the twins will be driving hard enough to warrant vented thicker rotors....YET...

Classic Z Car site had the same info pretty much.....plus some other off topic more info then needed to the subject comments...gotta love it though.

If anyone ever needs Camaro/Firebird info of this type...please feel free to ask.

Thanks

Skib,

thanks a pants load...makes total sense, we will stick with solid rotors.....I dont think the twins will be driving hard enough to warrant vented thicker rotors....YET...

np, its a pretty standard front brake upgrade.

MSA sells reg thickness cross drilled/slotted rotors if you want to upgrade the stock size rotor

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PBC06

Gents,

is it ok to post updates in this thread, or should I start another one?...let me know if it matters.

Ill go ahead and give you lats nights progress. The boys and I decided to try and start the thing last night, just for giggles. Mind you it has been sitting for a few years since the last time it started, and sat over 5 years before that.

Threw a battery in, filled fuel pump lines at the motor with gas, blew a little into the lines to get the going a bit. Hit the carbs with some starting fluid, crank the key and on the 3rd try it almost took off. Noticed fuel pouring out of the front carb, decided to stop....from the sounds and smells of everything it seems pretty tight. Oil is very clean, getting spark....our carbs are Zentiths...I think..very flat on top with a black knob on top. From what I read these are good for throwing at someone, and thats about it.

Im picking up some rebuilt SU's today. The boys decided to truck bed liner coat the inside of the car, (have fun with that boys) run some door panels, windlace, door jam seels, rear tail light cover, maybe a headliner and thats it. No center console, throw some rubber mats down good to go. The dash will be a project for sure. Either we find one..(good luck)...or Ill end up making one for them. I know you can put in a dash from something else, but not sure thats any easier then just building one.

We should have the front primed this weekend and maybe a little bit of the interior coated...we will see. Still need to find a fuel tank.

Bob

Couple links on the Toyota caliper swap:

http://www.zcarcreat...caliperpage.htm

http://www.biopatent.com/brakes.html

You might want to just buy new calipers since the cost and time of trying to find cores at the junkyard can be frustrating and you'd probably want to rebuild those if nothing else.

Then I believe there is a rear disc conversion you can perform using brackets off of an early 80's Maxima (which is a BITCH to find).

Disc conversion info:

http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto/rearbrake.htm

Oh! You said you have a Camaro? You don't happen to know anyone with, or have, some of the second gen split bumpers, do you? Or where I can find reproductions for a song? Thinking about custom bumpers on the Z.

Ill do a quick search tomorrow for you. I had a split bumper car for a while, the one I have now is a 67....Ill keep you posted though.

Thanks

Couple links on the Toyota caliper swap:

http://www.zcarcreat...caliperpage.htm

http://www.biopatent.com/brakes.html

You might want to just buy new calipers since the cost and time of trying to find cores at the junkyard can be frustrating and you'd probably want to rebuild those if nothing else.

Then I believe there is a rear disc conversion you can perform using brackets off of an early 80's Maxima (which is a BITCH to find).

Disc conversion info:

http://www.zcarcreat...o/rearbrake.htm

Thanks a lot for the links, didnt read them yet...but everything seems pretty straight forward. I think Ill have the twins just run rear drums and they can decide to go with rear discs later on. I too figured we would just by the front calipers new. by the time you drive to the junk yard, pay to get in, spend an hour removing them, while in the dirt and smell, and then cleaning them maybe rebuild......really doesnt add up for a 40 to 50$ caliper.

The cross drilled sloted solid rotors are pretty pricey, pretty sure the stock rotors will be fine for now.

• 8 years later...
On 2/6/2012 at 1:21 PM, Skib said:

if you switch to a thicker vented disk youll use the 1986-88 4x4 caliper that is also stamped S12+8 but its got a wider gaping for the thicker vented disk.

which vented rotor will work with this setup? is this a bolt on or need to be mod?