Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

Yeah Im really excited to go from super tired L16 to a good running L20. I think its going to be the best money spent on this car...

When I install the L20 I will be swapping transmissions at the same time, but to the later auto. I want to keep the column shift, but need the later trans to work with the L20. I do wish I could have the lower RPMs from a 5spd for highway driving, but I do mostly city driving so theres no real need. Plus I like the old school cool factor of column shift. If I could get my hands on a Maxima 4spd auto, Id go that route. 

Unfortunately, I was clearing space on my computer so I deleted a bunch of pictures in my photo program not realizing that it would delete them in Flickr (I have them linked, but thought it was only for uploading purposes). Luckily after some work, I was able to recover them. I have since un-linked my Flickr and will be re-uploading all my build thread photos. As soon as that happens, Ill go through and fix all the dead photos. Itll be a lot of work and Im not looking forward to how tedious it will be. 

After the L20 install, I think Im just going to continue to daily this thing and look for another vehicle. I need something to drive when Minty breaks or when I want to do longer projects. Ive been talking to another member about picking up my second Datsun so hopefully that can work itself out. Im not as liquid with funds at the moment since Ive been working to get these t-shirts up and running. Hopefully they can be a good source of income to set myself up for another vehicle soon. *fingers crossed*

I know that was a lot of reading, so heres a picture of me coming home from the broken u-joint (I forgot to post it above):

8941839605_634b03b3f3_c.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just drove my l20b rebuild for the first time yesterday and the difference is amazing. My engine was bored .30 over and a mild cam installed hooked up to my 32/36 and it feels like heaven.

You should definitely keep the column shifter as its a cool look.

Good luck on the emgine build

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just scrolling through looking at your pics.  Props, I like it.  I like the color, stance and wheels. Even the side trim, and other bits.  It has a nice flow to it. 

Funny, your front bumper is dented, up, in the same spot as mine.

I'm just scrolling through looking at your pics.  Props, I like it.  I like the color, stance and wheels. Even the side trim, and other bits.  It has a nice flow to it.

Thanks! I actually need to go through and fix almost all my pictures. They were once deleted due to user error ( :blush:), but I have now recovered them :thumbup:

Funny, your front bumper is dented, up, in the same spot as mine.

I didnt even notice it was dented... Ill have to go look at it.

Well, I have been slacking hardcore on updates, but that doesnt mean I havent done any work. I knocked a bunch of small stuff off my list:

• Redrawn about 6 smaller wiring diagrams in color
  • Installed the uncut dash frame
  • Wired up my dash clock
  • Relocated my ignition
  • Cleaned up all the dash wiring
  • Drawn up and itemized the dash wiring harness (so that I can build a brand new one)
  • Cleaner my door panels
  • Disassembled and started the soak on my 32/36 to clean it up
  • Transfered the old carpet snaps to the new one
  • Continued designing a couple hardparts Im going to have made for the car (and others if there is interest)

I have a few other things I still need to take care of as well. I purchased some relays to upgrade my headlight wiring and may relay my heater blower and windshield wipers as well. I bought a few more parts from overseas (more on that when they arrive). And I also let the battery die because I left my hazards on all night after messing around with all the switches :(

Photos and more projects to come. 

You post an update with no pics? You know better Tristan!

I know... with fixing all the broken pictures, I have about 800 to upload so I havent had that large chunk of time to devote to that yet. Im about to here in the next day or two though. 

Nice!

You have been looking for that for a while now. Pics on the car soon?

Thanks! Yeah I'm glad to finally find one... Overseas contact came through :hyper:

I hope to have it mocked up tomorrow. I need to build a good set of stock lights from the pile of parts I have. I'll probably take it back off and strip most of the black off... I don't have a lot of black on the car, so I think less will be better.

Tristin, you need to quit working on the car and re-load your pictures!  I want to see some more glamour shots of the 510!!  Even the google search for your car comes up with broken photo links....

Nah, just keep working on the car.... I will wait....

I do like your car though, I want to see more of it.

Stock lights back in. You can notice the amount you need to remove for larger GL buckets:

9204662204_c4485acd57_c.jpg

License plate lights removed as well:

9204661736_33cb3d00f6_c.jpg

Garnish mocked up:

9204661172_c687e5c4a8_c.jpg

Too much black, so Ill be stripping the paint off like below:

9201875197_856057c0bb_c.jpg