Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey now... I just walked in the door. I have to drive granny style these days and I stopped at the store on the way home. 

Anyway, yesterday was semi-successful (though a bit of an ordeal). I wanted to buy the u-joints up by me so I went into Oreilys to pick them up. Turns out they only had one so I would have to make another stop. Turns out all local stores only had one so I ran all over to make sure I had enough to complete the full swap (4pcs)... Then it turns out that they were the wrong u-joints... So we went to the local Oreilys down there and they didnt have any of the right u-joints, but their distro center did which wasnt far. I picked up four new joints and off we went. 

Come home to disassemble Q-tips spare half-shafts, but all bolts were so rusted that that wasnt going to work. So we took apart mine and did the swap. 

On the first u-joint removal we found out how not to remove them. As we got the u-joint stuck in the middle of the flange and couldnt get it out. Anyway, finally got it removed and the flange cleaned for the install. I pick up the new u-joints and two of the four are too large by 1mm... Go back to Autozone this time to see if they have any in stock and we get their last two. Got one u-joint in perfect, but the second one we busted the retaining clip lip off. Oops. It was the too much installed to remove it and we bought the last two u-joints so we just left it. 

Pull the other half-shaft out and removal of all u-joints is way easier this time around. We have the tricks down. Go to install the new u-joints and we were able to hand press one of the caps in :confused: Doesnt seem to spin while installed, but were pretty sure it shouldnt have gone in that easy. 

We get the car all put back together and it seems to drive fine. 

8652957987_72d8fc2730_c.jpg

8652957671_1479d97d8c_c.jpg

8654059064_eda46583ab_c.jpg

And this one just for fun...

8654059254_630ab0f445_c.jpg

Turns out I left my wallet at Qs so I went back to pick it up. He met me half way since I couldnt cross the bridge with no cash. On the way all the vibrations came back. I grannied it down there and made it safe. Upon inspection in the parking lot it looks like the u-joint that was hand pressed in is way too loose and is causing all my troubles now. Well that was a bunch of wasted money and effort. Now I have to pick up a second set of half shafts that dont have enlarged or oblong flanges and Im thinking of just having them rebuilt professionally and completely. 

At least I can still drive around town and get to school as its all lower speeds so its bearable. 

8652958513_5d0cc1c237_c.jpg

Dude, that sucks!

Yeah not the best of fixes apparently. Its a 40yr old car, so theres bound to be some problems.

BTW, Dafuc is that abomination hanging out of the back of your ride?

Uuuuuuh thats my new boso exhaust. Arent all the kool kids doing it these days?

Find out if the 280zx or 240z/280zx outer half-shaft flange joints are the same.

They "look" the same ...

If they are I may have an outer flange sitting there I can press off in my shop press.

The inner 280zx R180 half-shaft flanges are a single (1) bolt-in AT the differential.

(4) bolt flange AT the hub.

Was the one u-joint that was "hand pressed in" an in-board or out-board joint ?

on the shaft-side itself or the flange ? (loose cup)

Yeah its not illegal here... but to be honest its not actually on the car. If you look, its only zip-tied :rofl: Boso tips are a little too wild for Minty. It was just laying around the garage and we decided to mock it up and see how ridiculous it looked. 

Find out if the 280zx or 240z/280zx outer half-shaft flange joints are the same.
They "look" the same ...
If they are I may have an outer flange sitting there I can press off in my shop press.

The inner 280zx R180 half-shaft flanges are a single (1) bolt-in AT the differential.
(4) bolt flange AT the hub.

I may have read your post wrong ... der der

Im told they are the same. 

Yeah its not illegal here... but to be honest its not actually on the car. If you look, its only zip-tied :rofl: Boso tips are a little too wild for Minty. It was just laying around the garage and we decided to mock it up and see how ridiculous it looked. 

Thank fuck for that, an Auto AND boso exhaust is just way too weird for me.

Was the one u-joint that was "hand pressed in" an in-board or out-board joint ?

on the shaft-side itself or the flange ? (loose cup)

Drivers or Passengers side ?

Shit I dont remember. Ill have to ask Q. 

Dont you dare talk this about my automagic! But seriously, that much boso is too much on this car. I like it toned down a bit with this one. 

It is on the inboard side, don't remember if it was the shaft or the flange thought. Most definitely fubared, it just fell apart after I took the retaining clip off. The one that broke was totally my fault, I got a little to hammer happy. All of the flanges are the same, in board and outboard

And the pipe is because racecar, I got the set of tips off of a 250 gto from a buddies shop

I finished up another shaft for you yesterday Tristin, better get it on before shit goes to shit.......

Haha yeah, I need to throw in a better half-shaft soon. At least the next install will be easier since weve loosened up all 40yrs of gunk on the bolts. Maybe we can replace all the nuts with new ones too.

So which part number was it?

Precisions 393. Ill see how the Duralast ones endure because they looked beefier than the Precision parts. The clip lands were way larger than the Precision ones and look to be able to take more abuse. 

That`s kinda like saying Marilyn Manson wears a bit too much concealer   ,,,,  yeah,,.,,,, that`s what makes him seem like a weird dude.