620 with new brakes

alvahB

I've finally given up on the stock drums that my 74 620 was installed with

how long should it take to install it all and drive down the road?

I only have till feb 13th before Im hitting the books from dawn till dusk and I wont have much of a life till this college semester is over

and tips on how this is done would be appreciated

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're just replacing the shoes? Maybe 1/2 hour each, can be done in less if everything in working condition and nothing seized or broken.

Loosen the emergency brake cable and lube it.

Take a picture of each one so you get everything back in the same location.

Use brake cleaner and rinse everything off to make inspection and work easier. Catch the drippings in a cloth towel and carefully dispose of them.

When the shoes are off take the adjuster apart enough to lube with lithium grease.

Turn adjuster down fully so the drum will fit over the thicker new shoes

Lube any shoe contact points.

If shoes or drum get dirty, rinse with brake cleaner.

Spin tire and adjust star wheel adjuster until there is slight drag. Pump brakes to center the shoes and check/adjust again until there is no change.

Last, adjust the emergency brake cable.

I suppose it could be me, but I don't recognize the screen name and without a personal name, I really don't know. I was kind of assuming that he bought one of bee's kits off ebay. I just sold a kit, but it was to a guy closer to my age, not in college. Any others I've sold have long since been delivered and he said his is in the mail. I've spent a good deal of time behind the scenes answering questions for some of bee's customers. Of course, my brain don't work so well.....I'm gonna laugh and be a bit embarrassed if it turns out to be one of my kits. LOL :) Bee and I aren't the only guys on here that have kits.