What does it take to make 200hp from an L20?

datsun76_620

Anyone seen one that's NOT a turbo?

(Hats off to Fineline though!: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=1816)

Let's talk specifics! (even if not 200hp...lets collect some numbers!!)

Pistons/crank/rods

Head

Cam

Intake

Carb

Exhaust

Ignition

Cooling

Extraneous parts

...yes I'm still in pieces...that's why I havent posted my numbers YET...;)

I do like the Jason Gray 2.1 Long Rod build idea....anyone use it???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote is...

A lot of money.

A KA puts out about 150 or 160 stock... it would take a bit of cash to turn that into 200+ horsepower. I think you'd be hard pressed to make a 200 hp L20B. I think you'd be hard pressed to make a 150 hp L-Series. I know you said non-turbo, but maybe if you went turbo + fuel injected, maybe did some bottom end work (stroker, bored over?), did a really nice job on the head, did all the ignition, fuel system, exhaust... you'd probably put out some pretty good numbers. It'd certainly be a beast. Hell, the J-13 in my 521 only puts out 67 hp, and it's got some kick.

Well folks....I guess I got carried away....

I wanted to get some discussion on the most HP to gain with an L20B...(the 200+ was supposed to be an attention getter not a baseline):blink:

We just haven't gotten a good listing of buildup mods and their functionality other than Jason Gray's...Was wondering if anyone had done any of those builds or their own...???

Yes there is a way to get 200hp from an L20B non turbo, non supercharged using side draught carbs or was it EFI? I'll look it up and post some pix when I get home.

But I warn you it's beyond most people but can be done. Go with a turbo.

Find one of the old 16 valve heads that were being tested years ago. I'm sure someone on here could tell you the name of the company. Flat top pistons.

Next simply figure out how to install a roller bearing crank shaft. Easy! That would allow you to spin it at 9-10,000 rpm.

Big header.....big carbuerators....aluminum flywheel...HEAVY DUTY clutch. :D

dd:fu:

You will need one of these:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/LZ-NEW_STAINLESS_VALVES_small.jpg[/img]"]LZ-NEW_STAINLESS_VALVES_small.jpg

It'll fit engines from L13 up to KA24.

Here's the complete motor running using only an L-16

Can't find the article about the 2 liter motor but was over 200 hp at 10,000RPM and would go over 11,000 RPMs I'll keep looking.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/LZ-NEW_STAINLESS_VALVES_small.jpg[/img]"]LZ-NEW_STAINLESS_VALVES_small.jpg

Can't find the article about the 2 liter motor but was over 200 hp at 10,000RPM and would go over 11,000 RPMs I'll keep looking.

..........WOW........:eek:

Yes thats the head I was thinking about.:D

dd:fu:

Dave,

I had a 'puter melt down a while back and lost some really neat links and this was one of them. It's similar to the O S Giken motor but the intake and exhaust are on the other side with this one. It had pictures of the hard wood molds used to make the casting shapes in sand, gear drives. All manner of really cool stuff. The turbo 2 liter was 500 hp I think. If I could just remember...

I know of some around....but they did cost a few dollars to make. They can be very reliable. Dan Hart is a local guy that is a wealth of info on the technique of getting horses from an L motor.....I might add though its almost all in the head work.

You don't need a 16-valve head to make 200 HP from 2-liter engine ... Even A-series engines makeing 200 HP naturally aspirated are known, but those (smaller) Datsun engines need 10,000 RPM and massive head altering.

Or is the L-series engine really that limited?

hey ice what do you mean you dont like lL motors? ya gotta like this one.

The L-series Nissan engine made it's first appereance in 1967. It was widely used in racing due to it's so called 'bullet proof' bottom end. The main limitation was the head design, tuners began to search for ways to improve the performance.

In 1973 a Japanese engineer named Osamu Okazaki designed a whole new cilinderhead for the L-series engine. The design used 4 valves per cilinder and a narrow included valveangle of 20 degrees. Combined with racing cams, racing pistons and DCOE Webers the 1888 cc engine outputed 232p PS and 203 Nm of torque.

The actual design was build via wooden negatives which were made of cherry wood. The particular head 'TC-16 MA2' had a limited production and is still sought after by fans and lovers.

One of the chief engineers at OS Giken joined the company in 1994 and learned allot about their twin cam head designes. He also noticed that they still had the parts in the warehouse. He asked permission for building one more racing engine.

The movie shows the start up of this particular engine. It is still used for racing. They later shifted the rev limit from 9000 to 10500 rpm. Torque was still high at this large velocity's.

OS GIKEN is known for their sequential gearboxes, Limited slip differentials and clutches. A lot of people don't know but they had a big influence in racing history

Category: Autos & Vehicles

Tags:

OS GIKEN famous TC-16 MA2 Bluebird H510 Datsun Nissan cilinder cylinder twin cam racing race engine circuit all motor

You don't need a 16-valve head to make 200 HP from 2-liter engine ... Even A-series engines makeing 200 HP naturally aspirated are known, but those (smaller) Datsun engines need 10,000 RPM and massive head altering.

Or is the L-series engine really that limited?

Pretty sure you can't get 200 from an L 2 liter motor without a turbo. They have excellent breathing but not THAT good.

OOOH yes you can!!!!!!!

Its all in the head......You do need to to machine for larger valves though.

My bro is currently building one that should get up near 200....Just have to take it to the right guy who knows what hes doing.

I know of one motor thats 11 to 1 and is pushing 240.

OOOH yes you can!!!!!!!

Its all in the head......You do need to to machine for larger valves though.

My bro is currently building one that should get up near 200....Just have to take it to the right guy who knows what hes doing.

I know of one motor thats 11 to 1 and is pushing 240.

I have drove or been a passanger in afew L series engines that make about 200hp at the flywheel and one was my friends LZ 2.2 and it was his daily it made 149hp and 151 TQ at the wheels and Troys longrod 2.3 puts out over 200hp at the flywheel and like fiveNdime said its all in the head (Bigger valves, head work, cam and a good set of carbs) if Dave Rebello can get 230hp at the crank out of a L18 race prepped engine, 200 out of a well prepped 2 liter or a stroker 2.2 or 2.3 is more than do able. before I had my FJ20 built Troy Ermish quoted me $3500 for a longrod 2.3 for the long block only, that engine when it was done made 158 at the wheels and the guy drove the piss out of it almost daily...well a couple times a week :D

Clayton