painting engine worries

burrito213

i have been tinkering with my engine off and on for sometime now and i am finally making headway. however, i painted the engine with rattle can dupli-color engine enamel thinking this was the best rattle can for an engine:

here is a pic of what the can looks like:

7140630_dpl_de1601224_pri_larg.jpg

well as i was getting to some areas and i used carb cleaner to clean some parts off the engine, ex; exhaust ports/exhaust gasket area, and the carb cleaner is eating this stuff. on overspray areas it flakes the paint off and on intended painted areas is stripping it a little.

not knowing jack about painting cars, engines, and automotive stuff i am worried that ill be looking at flaking paint after the engine gets back in and running.

this is what i did:... sand blast the engine, stripped and cleaned the block, pre prep the engine, used engine paint primer from duplicolor, and then painted the above stuff. once finished, i let sun bake for a day or two and the engine has been garage kept since.

can i paint over the chipped spots, unpainted spots, or add a clear, or am i just shit out of luck.

i dont have time to strip the engine back down and start all over. just trying to see if i f***ed up or its just a normal thing and will be okay.

any help?

thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not clean painted surfaces with carb or brake clean in the future ;)

For now ... leave it alone ... re-touch up and clean with ... soap another day :)

Looks clean !Generally ... all cleaning should be done ... before painting (of course an initial wipedown before installing gaskets.

I have used that duplicolor engine enamel on three engines ... its good enough stuff :D

Engine looks good!

cool. thank you. no one i know close to me uses this stuff so i wanted to make sure i was okay with paining it.

the carb cleaner is being used to help with the gaskets i didnt remove. problem was noticing the gaskets after the paint. rookie error im sure. i just wanted to see paint on the engine. just trying to prevent too much loss.

what about touch ups?...can i paint over any areas i missed or touch up any chips that occured in the process of cleaning?

cool. thank you. no one i know close to me uses this stuff so i wanted to make sure i was okay with paining it.

the carb cleaner is being used to help with the gaskets i didnt remove. problem was noticing the gaskets after the paint. rookie error im sure. i just wanted to see paint on the engine. just trying to prevent too much loss.

what about touch ups?...can i paint over any areas i missed or touch up any chips that occured in the process of cleaning?

Ahhhh i see :)

I usually spray some brake clean on a clean rag ... wipe down ... and vacuum before install (just my method)

Touch ups on engine blocks are impossible for me after some oil has hit the area ... if not run or leaked on ... just strip that area down ... and retouch up ... i am not a painter, but this is what i would do :)

This is how we all learn haha :)

I've been using that same paint for many years and it works great. Carb cleaner is one of the only things that will actually attack it, lol, even brake fluid and gas won't eat it. It's great stuff. You should have no problems at all touching it up. Just wipe it all down with wax and grease remover first, then knock all the flaky parts off, and feather all the edges smooth. Scuff the rest up nice with a scotch bright pad, and wipe it all down with wax and grease remover one more time. Then just repaint it, and you should be just fine. You should have no issues at all.

Carb cleaner is designed to dissolve the solid gunk left in a carb float bowl that has sat for a few years after the gas has mostly evaporated. The gunk that is kind of like...PAINT.

Depending on the exact formula, enamel paint can also take a fairly long period of time to fully cure. Before this time period, the paint is more easily attacked by solvents.

I have found if you just keep adding accessorys like power steering, power brakes, dual carbs, bigger alt, air conditioning, ect, after a while you can only see the top of the engine anyways, so the engine paint is not as important anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is looking good Burrito, keep it up and it will be running again soon.

i have been tinkering with my engine off and on for sometime now and i am finally making headway. however, i painted the engine with rattle can dupli-color engine enamel thinking this was the best rattle can for an engine:

here is a pic of what the can looks like:

7140630_dpl_de1601224_pri_larg.jpg

well as i was getting to some areas and i used carb cleaner to clean some parts off the engine, ex; exhaust ports/exhaust gasket area, and the carb cleaner is eating this stuff. on overspray areas it flakes the paint off and on intended painted areas is stripping it a little.

not knowing jack about painting cars, engines, and automotive stuff i am worried that ill be looking at flaking paint after the engine gets back in and running.

this is what i did:... sand blast the engine, stripped and cleaned the block, pre prep the engine, used engine paint primer from duplicolor, and then painted the above stuff. once finished, i let sun bake for a day or two and the engine has been garage kept since.

can i paint over the chipped spots, unpainted spots, or add a clear, or am i just shit out of luck.

i dont have time to strip the engine back down and start all over. just trying to see if i f***ed up or its just a normal thing and will be okay.

any help?

thanks

i rattle can everything and first rule...WASH EVERYTHING FIRST! then once its dry and everhing is free of any grease or grime, start spraying. never never never ever paint and clean. if your gonna do it do it right the first time. take your time, theres nothing wrong with hitting it with a little paint to check the colour but when it comes down to it, make sure your piece is completely clean bevor you hit it.

i just painted a block with the same paint only black but good old ether aka starting fluid works great to clean the block and when u do your final primer coat while its still wet put on a light coat of the actual color so the 2 will bond together and u shouldnt have any issues.... if u really want your block CLEAN go get it hot tanked at a machine shop its not to much at all. just future reference type things