Am I missing something here?

Mr. BOHICA

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Daniel said, you are missing a little cover there. Guys does he have to separate the trans and engine to get it in there or can it be bolted on there while together? Don't remember been a while since I cracked one.

I am sure you could buy one here from someone, and can also search your local Junkyards by zipcode at http://car-part.com/

Just look for a Trans and see if it has the plate.(If you have the dogleg 5-speed swap, search for a 78 Datsun 200sx, not sure if all the L covers are the same? Someone here might know.)

I have the same situation with my 510 except I have a 280zx transmission on an L18. My question is how crucial is it to have the backing plate on there? I don't think a person can put a plate on without separating the transmission. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400271552435&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I'll preface this post with a disclosure that I expect to be made fun of if this is a stupid concern. With that said, is this normal?? Isn't this union supposed to be covered? To help with identification, I took the pic from the front of the car towards the back.

wtf.jpg

You have to have the plate between the transmission and the motor or the starter will engage deeper into the flywheel starter ring gear and the release bearing will closer to the diaphragm fingers and may not fully release the clutch.

Automatics are two piece, standards are usually one. The bottom half has to be removable on an automatic so you can get at the torque converter bolts to separate it from the flex plate.

Here are two engine plates for standard transmission. One is for an L series the other is for a Z series. If you can tell me which is which you win one interwebz point. Yes you could just guess, so in addition you must explain why. Every wrong answer I get a point.

L20bandZ20Ebackingplate.jpg

On a Datsun 521 there is a steel plate like the two in the above picture, but it does not go below the bottom of the flange, the oil pan bolts to, on the engine. This plate is reasonably thick. There is a second sheet metal plate that bolts to the transmission only.

It is too cold and dark outside to find the parts I am trying to describe. I might go find them tomorrow, and take some pictures, if needed.

I think that's right about the 521s forgot about those.. I've only seen the full cover plates on the L20Bs.

The differences are slight but they are different. The L series motor leans to the left when viewed from the front and the Z to the right. Therefore the L will be slightly closer to the starter and the Z slghtly further away from it. The left side one is closer to the starter and is for the L series motor. The other one is for the Z series and will not work on an L motor. A point each.

L20bandZ20Ebackingplate.jpg

BTW I've found that an L starter will fit and work on a Z series motor but a Z series starter won't clear the L series oil dip stick tube.

You don't need the plate. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles without them never had a problem. And worked on dozens, maybe hundreds of cars missing the flyweel cover.

The early L-series had a "dust cover". That's all it is. Even if you drive on gravel, the spinning flywheel won't let any rocks in. But then again you won't win first prize at Canby with it missing.

The later L-series use a 4mm thick plate which helps with NVH.

Okay. So I need an L20B engine plate, regardless of my tranny. I am buying an engine hoist tomorrow. Needed one anyway... And datzenmike, don't sweat the crocs. I'm a flip flop guy myself but knew a bunch of guys in the service who swore by them. Lol

Swear by them??? Hell I did this to them...

Starting to wear out...

myshoes001Large.jpg

myshoes006Large.jpg

Make new treads (steel belt radial truck tread)

myshoes004Large.jpg

Urethane construction glue and clamp for 24 hrs.

myshoes007Large.jpg

Been enjoying them for 2 1/2 years

myshoes009Large.jpg

Swear by them??? Hell I did this to them...

Starting to wear out...

myshoes001Large.jpg

myshoes006Large.jpg

Make new treads (steel belt radial truck tread)

myshoes004Large.jpg

Urethane construction glue and clamp for 24 hrs.

myshoes007Large.jpg

Been enjoying them for 2 1/2 years

myshoes009Large.jpg

Oh Mike... the legend grows with that one! Killing me!

(Though I do have a pair of Haflinger's (Cork clogs) that I just wear in the house, but they are so beat, the toe flapps open and closed as I walk. But I won't let the wife throw them out.)