Rear end gear swapping...

Dirttrack510

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is in the RaceWagon, I have to stay "stock", so I was looking for some lower rear end gears the race track and a little more pull from the corners. I heard the Roadster stuff could work, but that it had to be machined or something.

I was wondering if i can swap rear end gears from a 620 truck into a 510 wagon, since both are solid axles. Anyone know?

This is a very possible swap. The difference is the spider gears. You have to swap the wagon spider gears into the 620 carrier. In order to swap the spiders though, you have to remove the ring gear from the carrier. So a bit of work is involved in it.

I am currently running an aluminum housing from a wagon with 3.889 gears in my 79 620 housing. Mklotz swapped the spiders gears over before i got it from him.

Yes the Truck center can be used in a wagon with the side gears swapped.

Here is a thread I started regarding the different splines and cases on H190 rears. At the bottom is Mike Klotz's pictures and a link to his details on how to do the side gear swap.

H190 Differentials (w/Pictures)

I took an H190 center section from an L320 P/U (4.88:1), swapped the side gears with wagon ones and installed it into my 1200 racecar that uses a H190 Wagon rear. It has been working fine even though the overall flange to housing distance is 5/16" shorter on the 320 center section.

Here are the links to Mike's videos and pictures

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/mklotz70/H190%20diff/

And his swap thread

http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?showtopic=10748

You'll need the gears from a 520 truck with the J13 motor if you want 4.875s.

So I need this center section, is that all I need or do I need the axles and all? This is all a little confusing. :blink: I really wanna be able to run my 4 Lug wheels... This stuff is nearly impossible to find in the midwest.

You just need the center section, basicly(short version) you need to pull both apart, take the side gears(spyders/spiders) out of yours, and put them into the gears you want to run, then put it back together with your axles, as you put your sidegears(spyders/spiders) into the new gearset. As I said, this is the short version. This is all assuming that the gearsets are compatible, which is something I did not know before this thread.

BTW, when I buy gaskets from the autopart stores, sometimes they come in these thin paper/cardboard type material. this makes great gasket material. The last rearend job I did, the guy didn't have the gasket needed, so I seen a vinilla filing cabinet folder on the table, when laid out flat it was big enough, so we made a gasket out of that.

sounds a little easier now. Thanks guys, I'm sure I can get er done... Now I gotta find that 520 Center Section.... :unsure:

Early 521s also had 488s, I beleave almost everything with the J13 block had 488s, I also beleave that the datsun L320 had them also, and they have a 13 tooth/spline axle, the 520-21 have the 29 tooth/spline axle.

here is what I would do...

and I wouldn't go posting this all over the internet lest you get protested on track but...

82-83 200sx H190 rear end housing (4 link) and weld on the brackets for your leaf springs and cut off the 4 link mounts. Paint so that nobody will know the difference... axle fits with zx wheels under a stock 210 body so should be just fine for a 510 wagon.

This axle has the larger spline axles identical to the truck stuff.

PM me I might have some parts you may be interested in. ;-)

This will work if rear disc brakes are allowed, otherwise you will have to convert to drum.

Some 520/521? require GL4 oil and NOT GL5. I suspect that there are brass side gear washers...

Early_H190_320_Spider-Side_gears.JPG

Wayno... yes I think all J13 motor equipped trucks were 4.875. This included the first year, ('70) L521. All after with L16 motors were PL521 and 4.375.

here is what I would do...

and I wouldn't go posting this all over the internet lest you get protested on track but...

82-83 200sx H190 rear end housing (4 link) and weld on the brackets for your leaf springs and cut off the 4 link mounts. Paint so that nobody will know the difference... axle fits with zx wheels under a stock 210 body so should be just fine for a 510 wagon.

This axle has the larger spline axles identical to the truck stuff.

PM me I might have some parts you may be interested in. ;-)

Thanks for the idea, but it would be really costly for me. Keep in mind I'm in the mid-west.... AKA the rust capitol of the world. Datsuns are like Dinosaurs around here, the only ones that aren't extinct are in my garage and I have 6 of them. I have to have all my parts shipped to me from you fine California folks, so the the best route for me is to simply do the 520 center section swap....

By the way... does anyone know how many teeth are on the 4.875 gears??? I have a few PM's, but noone is for sure what they have and I do have to buy the parts unseen, plus pay shipping, sooooo I'd like to be for sure I get the right parts.

Re: the '81-'82 200sx rear end...

This will work if rear disc brakes are allowed, otherwise you will have to convert to drum.

The 4.875 will have 39/8 stamped on the outer surface of the ring gear . 39 ring gear teeth divided by 8 pinion gear teeth = 4.875 ratio.

Thanks for the idea, but it would be really costly for me. Keep in mind I'm in the mid-west.... AKA the rust capitol of the world. Datsuns are like Dinosaurs around here, the only ones that aren't extinct are in my garage and I have 6 of them. I have to have all my parts shipped to me from you fine California folks, so the the best route for me is to simply do the 520 center section swap....

By the way... does anyone know how many teeth are on the 4.875 gears??? I have a few PM's, but noone is for sure what they have and I do have to buy the parts unseen, plus pay shipping, sooooo I'd like to be for sure I get the right parts.

Have you been able to get ahold of Andyinc about that gearset he has? I live near him, but he is hard to get ahold of, I can go over there and check the gearset and see what it is. Datzenmike, are the axle teeth the same in the 510 as the L320? How many teeth do the 510s have, the 320s with 488 gearsets have 13 teeth.

Hey Wayno, Yeah The gear set Andyinc has is the 39:8 stamping, I'm waiting to hear back about the total with shipping charges. :sleep: I could actually use two sets of these gears, because I have another 510 Race Wagon I'm gonna build eventually, but it's top secret.(oops) The sooner I get these the better, I wanna get working on the car soon. I only have 8 or 9 weeks till test and tune day. :frantics:

I sold the last two 488 520-21 gearsets I had to a drag racer in seattle about 5-6 months ago, but I do have 320 488 gearsets out there, but I use the sidegears out of them for my gear changes in the 320s, as the 320s have differant axles(less teeth and smaller) than the 520-21 trucks, so I have no use for the actual 488 pumpkins/gearsets, except for the sidegears. The thing is, that I only have one gearset out of the axle at the moment, but I do have one set of 521 sidegears out in the garage I could put in the housings and put it back together. You have to keep in mind that these older gearsets don't come apart easy, the newer stuff has roll pins holding the sidegear shaft in position, the older stuff with the 488 gears, use a solid pin to hold the sidegear shaft in, it doesn't like to come out easy, basicly you have to pound the pin farther in the hole, drill the hole out till it is round again, as when the pin was put in the hole at the factory, they punched the sides of the hole to keep the pin from coming out, once the hole is round again, you get a long hard nail the size of the hole, put it in the backside of the hole and pound the pin out. It takes a while to get two of these things apart, and then put them back together. The reason I have been asking you guys how many teeth the 510 axles have is, if they are the same as the 320, you would not have to change anything, and all the 320s have 488 gears.