L16 swap??

spooge93

1982 Nissan Datsun

2WD

2.2L Z22

So I've been contemplating throwing an L16 motor and transmission into my 720. How much of a headache would a swap like this be?

I assume new mounts for both the motor and transmission would have to be made and I'm nervous the steering wheel linkage might get in the way.

any help greatly appreciated.

The '80 720 had an L engine in them so they will fit. If the L16 has mounts on it they will be close enough to fit. If the L16 is from a car the oil pan won't fit a truck. The transmission length is a problem. The 4 speed is likely 26" long and the '82 is likely 31.5 so the driveshaft won't be long enough. The upper rad hose will need to be modified to reach over to the right top side. The '82 will have an 3.889 ratio rear end.... the L16 would be much better suited with a 4.375.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will probably not be happy after the swap to a L-16. This engine, although is a good engine likes to be revved up pretty high. The engine in your truck is happy turning quite a bit slower, and the rear axle ratio would be pretty high for a L-16 engine to pull. The truck will be slow off the line, and you would need to down shift a lot, possibility even at freeway speeds, just to go up a slight hill. This is not because of lack of power in an L-16, but because it would be out of it's power range.

If you are thinking you would get better mileage out of an L-16, instead of the the soock engine, that probably would not happed. You will have the throttle open too much to get the good mileage. An engine, for good gas mileage likes to run at part throttle, not almost fully open.

1982 Nissan Datsun

2WD

2.2L Z22

So I've been contemplating throwing an L16 motor and transmission into my 720. How much of a headache would a swap like this be?

I assume new mounts for both the motor and transmission would have to be made and I'm nervous the steering wheel linkage might get in the way.

any help greatly appreciated.

The '80 720 had an L engine in them so they will fit. If the L16 has mounts on it they will be close enough to fit. If the L16 is from a car the oil pan won't fit a truck. The transmission length is a problem. The 4 speed is likely 26" long and the '82 is likely 31.5 so the driveshaft won't be long enough. The upper rad hose will need to be modified to reach over to the right top side. The '82 will have an 3.889 ratio rear end.... the L16 would be much better suited with a 4.375.

The '80 720 had an L series motor in them so it will fit.

You don't say what the L16 is out of.... if from a car the oil pan won't fit a truck.

I assume you have an L16 4 speed? It will be about 5" too short or you will need to lengthen the driveshaft. The rear transmission mount will need to be modified too.

The exhaust down pipe will need to be modified.

The L16 mounts will work well enough if they are on the motor.

Upper rad hose will need to reach over to the right side.

The L16 air filter will not clear the 720 brake master cylinder and booster.

The '82 has a 3.889 rear end a bit 'tall' for an L16. A 4.375 would be much better.

The 720 alternator won't fit the L series block and still clear the rad hose and the idler arm. The L16 alternator is externally regulated and needs a regulator in order to work. Also if a car alternator it will be too big... a 521 or 620 alternator will work (smaller) If you can find a '78 or '79 620 alternator it will work without the external regulator.