Hydrogen Generators

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With an 80 mile range, I doubt it.

I was just asking, I am always interested in how many cells/batterys are being used, and what type, and how delicate they are overall, but 80 miles isn't going to get it down here, but very good for local use, which is how 95% of the population uses there vehicles. :rolleyes:

I was just asking, I am always interested in how many cells/batterys are being used, and what type, and how delicate they are overall, but 80 miles isn't going to get it down here, but very good for local use, which is how 95% of the population uses there vehicles. :rolleyes:

Batteries are dirty and dangerous.

Exactly!

But I like to go camping. And I like to go long distances when I can.

It's a generator, it runs at a constant speed.

Yes, governed at 3,600 RPM likely but if you increase the draw, like using a skill saw, work is being done and the generator has to increase it's output to compensate for it. So where does it get the extra fuel if the gas generator is constant?

Batteries are dirty and dangerous.

Dangerous is a generator bottle and all the plumbing full of, perfectly mixed and in perfect proportion hydrogen and oxygen, just waiting for a spark of static or whatever to set it off. This is the same thing powering the space shuttle.

I'm afraid if I went to the trouble to make this and it doesn't work then someone will simply say I didn't do it right.

You're bullshit.

If you compress the air from a green power source, then take it to the store and back, you win right? They produce those....

See my first argument. Compressing air takes energy, green or not. Compressing it to put in a car to power it is extremely cost-ineffective. Here is a better example of why that is:

http://www.ftexploring.com/energy/2nd_Law.html

But BY ALL MEANS, if you think it can be done, I suggest you start now with your plans.

And hardwyre, yes, corn is stupid for producing Ethanol, but we also don't have the wonderful geographical location and ease of using sugarcane that Brazil does. I do agree, high compression and 85% ethanol would be great, but it also will take many other factors before it's even remotely cost effective in the US. Not saying it can't happen, but not without a HUGE change in the energy policy and a lot of people on board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRpxhlX4Ga0&feature=related

Running on air? Bull shit. Makes it sound like it runs on nothing for nothing. The air has to be compressed and that takes energy.

All compressed air does is eliminate a 125 mile long extension cord. All you are doing is storing energy you can transport. Four hours running that big compressor at home would propel that vehicle 120 miles. $2 ??? to refill??? Now if electricity is cheaper than gas in that area then you're ahead. Good friggin luck using solar or wind power to run those compressors.

I don't see why the vehicle couldn't use compressor braking. Use vehicle speed to run a compressor to reclaim some of the energy and put it back when slowing down.

Right now gasoline is the most compact energy source in the world. Easy to make, transport, store and convert to useable motion.

Maybe add one of these systems to a extra battery hybrid for some serious passing power.

http://www.formula1....sport/8763.html

AND, most newer hybrids are tanks ,,what if a person stripped all the needed technology off a wrecked prius and integrated it into a really light weight car like a B210 hatchback..That way your not re-inventing the wheel..

I bet 70 mpg would be more than achievable..

• Like 1

Maybe add one of these systems to a extra battery hybrid for some serious passing power.

http://www.formula1....sport/8763.html

AND, most newer hybrids are tanks ,,what if a person stripped all the needed technology off a wrecked prius and integrated it into a really light weight car like a B210 hatchback..That way your not re-inventing the wheel..

I bet 70 mpg would be more than achievable..

Just drive a B-210.... done and done.

See my first argument. Compressing air takes energy, green or not. Compressing it to put in a car to power it is extremely cost-ineffective. Here is a better example of why that is:

http://www.ftexplori...gy/2nd_Law.html

But BY ALL MEANS, if you think it can be done, I suggest you start now with your plans.

And hardwyre, yes, corn is stupid for producing Ethanol, but we also don't have the wonderful geographical location and ease of using sugarcane that Brazil does. I do agree, high compression and 85% ethanol would be great, but it also will take many other factors before it's even remotely cost effective in the US. Not saying it can't happen, but not without a HUGE change in the energy policy and a lot of people on board.

Use free energy to compress the air. So yeah it's "cost" effective. So what if it takes 2 days of generating to get an hours runtime.

ANd corn is a big mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRpxhlX4Ga0&feature=related

Running on air? Bull shit. Makes it sound like it runs on nothing for nothing. The air has to be compressed and that takes energy.

All compressed air does is eliminate a 125 mile long extension cord. All you are doing is storing energy you can transport. Four hours running that big compressor at home would propel that vehicle 120 miles. $2 ??? to refill??? Now if electricity is cheaper than gas in that area then you're ahead. Good friggin luck using solar or wind power to run those compressors.

I don't see why the vehicle couldn't use compressor braking. Use vehicle speed to run a compressor to reclaim some of the energy and put it back when slowing down.

Right now gasoline is the most compact energy source in the world. Easy to make, transport, store and convert to useable motion.

Good idea.

Run a screw compressor from a flywheel or something that engages as you brake.

Doesn't toyota generate electricity at the brake? Let me get a gocart chassis and we'll figure something out.

Problems arise when converting energy from one kind to another. There are inefficiencies in generating and storage. The energy used to slow a vehicle down from 50 to 10 cannot be captured 100%, some is better than none but lots of losses.

I think Mercedes has/had a car that uses waste exhaust heat to boil water to turn a steam engine that directly turns the driveshaft. 6-8 hp that is (I hate to say free) re captured internal combustion inefficiency. Car engines are 25-30% efficient with 60 to 75% wasted heat not used to perform work turning the crankshaft. Half as exhaust and half into the cooling system. Direct injection diesels are close to 40%

Problems arise when converting energy from one kind to another. There are inefficiencies in generating and storage. The energy used to slow a vehicle down from 50 to 10 cannot be captured 100%, some is better than none but lots of losses.

I think Mercedes has/had a car that uses waste exhaust heat to boil water to turn a steam engine that directly turns the driveshaft. 6-8 hp that is (I hate to say free) re captured internal combustion inefficiency. Car engines are 25-30% efficient with 60 to 75% wasted heat not used to perform work turning the crankshaft. Half as exhaust and half into the cooling system. Direct injection diesels are close to 40%

Only think I could find on google was other people talking about it. I love my mercedes as much as my datsun. Direct injection diesel. I can burn waste oil with no mods except for a preheater.

Now steam engines are AWESOME. Wood and water are plentiful.

I'm going to build a sterling with a "pellet" burner. (someday)

That air car reminds me of my ideas when I was a kid I used to be huge into that I was around 7 when I thought of the idea I even converted a 4 stroke go cart to a 2 stroke and ran air straight into the cylinder you just have to make the cam lobe football shaped as opposed to egg shape and instant 2 stroke. I had plans to run it on 2 scuba tanks and design a system to capture energy into compressed air but then the datsun came along :D

If you don't feel like converting to a 2 stroke you can also take a water sprinkler electric valve hook up an electric solenoid and have it trigger off the magnet in the flywheel all powered by a 24 volt battery and you waste less air per revolution and can control the speed with the amount of pressure you put through the sprinkler valve.

Check out the pnematic go carts on YouTube pretty cool stuff

That air car reminds me of my ideas when I was a kid I used to be huge into that I was around 7 when I thought of the idea I even converted a 4 stroke go cart to a 2 stroke and ran air straight into the cylinder you just have to make the cam lobe football shaped as opposed to egg shape and instant 2 stroke. I had plans to run it on 2 scuba tanks and design a system to capture energy into compressed air but then the datsun came along :D

If you don't feel like converting to a 2 stroke you can also take a water sprinkler electric valve hook up an electric solenoid and have it trigger off the magnet in the flywheel all powered by a 24 volt battery and you waste less air per revolution and can control the speed with the amount of pressure you put through the sprinkler valve.

Check out the pnematic go carts on YouTube pretty cool stuff

Theres one on there a friend of mine built with a couple scuba tanks. Can't find it.