How much blow by is too much?

metalmonkey47

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you, I would go to great lengths before pulling the engine to drop the pan, in the past I had a problem with the fuel pickup in the gas tank, I would remove the hose from the fuel filter, and use the air compressor on it, it was a temporary fix in the fuel tank. Maybe you could force the crap off the internal screen by forcing air in there, as that is not the direction of flow, it might fall off easy. I can think of one draw back though.

The other thing you can do is drain the oil and remove the vent tube in the block, then take brake cleaner and squirt out everywhere there. I doubt that's the issue. The mess rarely gets caked enough to clog. My old 620 leaked oil/burnt oil and still ran hard. Just thought it was a diesel! ;) Either way, motor was just worn out. The other option is to do a road-draft tube. Or in other words, vent both top and bottom of the block to atmosphere. That way the fumes won't be as susceptible to coming out.

Not great for the environment though. Still, I thought about doing this in the race motor as turning high rpms really does tend to try and suck oil through the pcv. Going to make a catch can for the next motor to alleviate a lot of this problem.

Yes, don't put a 100 psi air line to it. But if you can blow through it with your mouth, then you'll know it's not blocked. I'd use some heater hose or dishwasher hose for testing and remove the original hose.

Pulled the block vent and have NO air circulation @ the vent

When the engine has a lot of blowby, you should get air coming out of the block hole. But normally at idle, you'll get a bit of negative airflow.

Have you tried the two smoke tests? It's more reliable than watching your review mirror as you drive.

HRH, the brake parts cleaner is a good idea! Zero residue cleaner that evaporates quick. Sweeeeeeet. Gonna give that a shot at my next oil change!

When the engine has a lot of blowby, you should get air coming out of the block hole. But normally at idle, you'll get a bit of negative airflow.

Have you tried the two smoke tests? It's more reliable than watching your review mirror as you drive.

Actually, yes I did try those tests. I have zero smoke @ the valve cover vent, but still have blow by. NONE @ the tail pipe whatsoever. I've seen new cars that smoke more then this one.

When I bought the truck, she smoked @ the valve cover vent on the drive home, but it's the only time she ever did. She sat for several long months before being started again. After an oil change and some drive time, it was gone. I imagine the rings were sticking a tad bit.

Hell, the truck even had a timing chain rattle @ high revs when I bought it. Had a Fram filter and some old oil in it. Some Castrol 10W-40 and a Bosch filter and it was the last of any issues I've had with the engine. Until this.

so is it pumping alot of pressurized air out this valve cover vent? or is it simply just oil thats being slung out?

no-ones asked this yet..

do you have the sheetmetal part stamped inside the valve cover still?

ive seen these missing, and then its just an accessible hole for oil to abandon ship from.. the valvetrain slings alot of oil around...

im just thinkin simple shit..

hell, i just have a hose from the valve cover vent to down just under frame level.. fuck it.. put oil in it, keep water in it and drive it..

so is it pumping alot of pressurized air out this valve cover vent? or is it simply just oil thats being slung out?

no-ones asked this yet..

Theres not much oil slinging, but the few drops coming out is screwing up my nice clean valve cover dry.gif

do you have the sheetmetal part stamped inside the valve cover still?

ive seen these missing, and then its just an accessible hole for oil to abandon ship from.. the valvetrain slings alot of oil around...

Sure do! And it's nice and clean too.

fuck it.. put oil in it, keep water in it and drive it..

That's what I've been doing for a while now. I don't really like pro-longing the inevitable. If I see symptoms of an issue, I like to try and take care of them if possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanna update this since It's been a while.. Still haven't solved this issue,

It's gotten better and is flowing a little bit. I got rid of my breather filter for a hose run to the Weber for now, but it's still not 100%.

Gonna possibly pull the engine in a month or so since I'll have a crane and some hands ready to go. I need to repaint the engine bay and replace the pan gasket anyways.