HELP i need brakes in my shell and im clueless

sam

Some please guide and help me. My 510 four door 1969 has no brakes lines what so ever. Can some one list me what I need to buy in order to have brakes. I have 280zx front and rear brakes and master brake cyclinder . Other than the lines what do I need and is any of the parts upgradeable since I'm already in it. Also where can I buy them. Thank you!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need:

* brake balance warning switch

* rear brake 3-way Connector (splitter block)

You also need these lines:

* Master Line to warning switch F port

* Master Line to warning switch R port

* line to Left Front

* line to Right Front

* line to rear splitter

* lines to each rear side

* rubber hoses to each rear wheel

* rubber hoses to each front wheel

You need:

* brake balance warning switch

* rear brake 3-way Connector (splitter block)

You also need these lines:

* Master Line to warning switch F port

* Master Line to warning switch R port

* line to Left Front

* line to Right Front

* line to rear splitter

* lines to each rear side

* rubber hoses to each rear wheel

* rubber hoses to each front wheel

Awesome. I know I might be asking for to much but can some one direct or draw me a schismatic how every part is suppose to be. Do I need a PROPORTIONAL valve? ? If so where does it go? Where does the splutter block go and where can I buy that?

Awesome. I know I might be asking for to much but can some one direct or draw me a schismatic how every part is suppose to be. Do I need a PROPORTIONAL valve? ? If so where does it go? Where does the splutter block go and where can I buy that?

If you are running the ZX front/rear brakes and the ZX, you should look to see if the ZX has one.

The 3 way splitter box may already be one?

If you are running the ZX front/rear brakes and the ZX, you should look to see if the ZX has one.

The 3 way splitter box may already be one?

The zx master cyclinder has a front side and onw for the back. I just don't know what else I need and where can I get a T

For something as important as brakes, you should consider getting some in-person help on the matter.

I got a qoute for $534 for that and that's way out of my balm park. I have rebuilt everything on the car my self. I just never done brake lines. I'm sure its not difficult, I just need some guidance in what I need other than lines. Like do I need a proportional valve? And where do I buy a T and if I'm missing anything else

Get some line, a bender tool and a flaring tool and make your own.

The 510 does not have a proportioning valve, not needed. The brake bias is accomplished by matching the rear wheel cylinder size to match the braking performance of the fronts. Bias is designed in at the factory. I suspect this is the case with the zx too.

Get some line, a bender tool and a flaring tool and make your own.

The 510 does not have a proportioning valve, not needed. The brake bias is accomplished by matching the rear wheel cylinder size to match the braking performance of the fronts. Bias is designed in at the factory. I suspect this is the case with the zx too.

So all I need is the lines and tools and T story split the front left and right and another T for the rears and I'm good? Sounds so simple lol

Go to a Napa store, the largest one near you and explain what you need. (Be polite)

You can buy brake lines in various lengths, a tubing bender,(required!) 90's, Tees, joiners, tubing wrench, the two "rubber" lines for the front axle, ect.

Do NOT use any junkyard parts!

If needed, after market proportioning valves will work and are nice because they are adjustable.

You will need to take measurements of the required tubing length of each one, (I used stiff wire to bend around

to fit, then measured the overall length and bought the closest match.

I replaced all the brake lines on my 720 this way. It was time consuming but not rocket science.

DO NOT use any form of compression fitting anywhere in the brake system, it will fail under the high pressure!

Buy and use ONLY double flare steel brake lines!

Buy a manual for your vehicle, the pictures will be helpfull to route the lines.

Go to a Napa store, the largest one near you and explain what you need. (Be polite)

You can buy brake lines in various lengths, a tubing bender,(required!) 90's, Tees, joiners, tubing wrench, the two "rubber" lines for the front axle, ect.

Do NOT use any junkyard parts!

If needed, after market proportioning valves will work and are nice because they are adjustable.

You will need to take measurements of the required tubing length of each one, (I used stiff wire to bend around

to fit, then measured the overall length and bought the closest match.

I replaced all the brake lines on my 720 this way. It was time consuming but not rocket science.

DO NOT use any form of compression fitting anywhere in the brake system, it will fail under the high pressure!

Buy and use ONLY double flare steel brake lines!

Buy a manual for your vehicle, the pictures will be helpfull to route the lines.

Thanks I will do that tomorrow!

Don't use a splitter for the front brakes -- use a factory brake brake pressure differential switch like the later 510s have. This is where using the best parts "upgrades" come in. The pressure switch includes L and R outputs.

Don't need a proportioning valve. If you are using matched 280ZX front and 280ZX rear brakes, the proportioning is built in. The master cylinder here is unimportant as far as proportioning goes. What is important is the front + rear combination.

Don't use a splitter for the front brakes -- use a factory brake brake pressure differential switch like the later 510s have. This is where using the best parts "upgrades" come in. The pressure switch includes L and R outputs.

Don't need a proportioning valve. If you are using matched 280ZX front and 280ZX rear brakes, the proportioning is built in. The master cylinder here is unimportant as far as proportioning goes. What is important is the front + rear combination.

Ohh can I get the brake brake pressure differential switch at Napa? Also get one from a 80s 510 ? What should I do with the rear?? Same thing

Would you let someone who is clueless work on your brakes? Get an expert to help you. There are a lot of car guys in Orlando that know about brakes, Datsuns are no different from Fords and Chevys of the 1970s and 1980s in how the brakes work and how the lines are connected.

Bending your own lines, unless you know how to do that, can be unsafe. Buying junkyard parts might be a safer bet. Don't scrimp on safety. If you find a 510 in the junkyard with the brake system intact (with fluid pressure) then the brake parts are like on a used car -- not new, but still work OK. Then at least you will see how all the lines fit on a 510. They will already be bent correctly and you can take photos of how they all fit together. Maybe there are none down in Orlando but there are in yards on the west coast.

The only difference when you have different brakes are the rubber hoses that go from the car to each wheel. The other brake lines on the car are just stock 510.

I would get parts for a 1972 Datsun 510.