I'm Baaaack...

pope_face

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which Windshield Would Be Best?

• OEM or Custom-Made for the 521.
    • Newer, but similar style, windshield and frame.
    • Split Window, a la older VW Van.

Alright folks, as the title says, I'm back... I think it's been about three years since I've been on here, and nothing's been done to the truck in that time, but I figured it was time to get back to it. It's still sitting in my garage, but most of the body and drivetrain is complete, so it shouldn't be too much trouble. I've got a Wankel that was originally going to go in it, but I'm starting to reconsider that... Instead, I'm actually considering keeping the stock J13 and four-speed transmission.

I'd originally posted a question about using a solenoid to control the clutch, but realized I should move it to the drivetrain forum instead.

However, I did want to ask something else: I've got two 521 bodies, but only one windshield... I'd like to complete both eventually, but I doubt I'll be able to find a second windshield, at least not anywhere around here. I could get a custom one made up, but it seems pretty expensive (especially if anything happens to it). I'm considering welding in the entire windshield section from an older Volkswagen split-window van instead... I think it'll look kinda funky (hopefully in a good way), and finding replacement windshields should be a whole lot easier. Another possibility would be to weld in the windshield frame from a newer car, but I think that'd cause more issues than a split window... Only benefit would be ease of finding new glass and seals.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea what the cost of a custom one is... I found a place up here to do it (just searching online), but they're made from Plexiglass. Apparently there's a place in Vancouver, Washington that makes proper windshields for classic and difficult cars, but I haven't contacted them yet. I don't think it'd be cheap though. I can email them tomorrow though, and see what they say.

Str8: Yep... IIRC, it's a July '69 build, but a 1970 model year, and it's got the stock J13 and four-speed manual (sorry, I said auto, but I was distracted). It's a transition year, so it's got the '70 body and the '69 drivetrain.

No idea what the cost of a custom one is... I found a place up here to do it (just searching online), but they're made from Plexiglass. Apparently there's a place in Vancouver, Washington that makes proper windshields for classic and difficult cars, but I haven't contacted them yet. I don't think it'd be cheap though. I can email them tomorrow though, and see what they say.

I live in vancouver, washington, what glass shop is doing the custom cutting? I have some used windshields they could use as a pattern, if they are reasonable. We just had 19 winshields total, custom cut for the 320 pickups/trucks down in california for $350 each. It would be nice to find a closer place to do business with if they are reasonable.

Wayno: It's Sanders Repro Glass... Here's the link:

Sander's Repro Glass

If you're willing to get it checked out, let me know and put me down for a windshield... I actually have a spare 521 windshield I could donate to the cause, if it helps. It's got a huge crack in the middle, so it's useless as an actual windshield, but it might work as a template.

Str8: Yep... IIRC, it's a July '69 build, but a 1970 model year, and it's got the stock J13 and four-speed automatic. It's a transition year, so it's got the '70 body and the '69 drivetrain.

Does it have the round reflectors or square ones? If round it's a 69 body for sure... but a 4 speed auto? I gotta see that!

Sander's Repro Glass

If you're willing to get it checked out, let me know and put me down for a windshield... I actually have a spare 521 windshield I could donate to the cause, if it helps. It's got a huge crack in the middle, so it's useless as an actual windshield, but it might work as a template.

I actually have a few used 521 windshields in the back room closet, so that is not an issue, but reasonable prices are important, there are places in portland that also custom cut windshields, but I heard they are very expensive, like $700+ dollars. And I am in the process of figuring out how to ship a windshield safely, as I need to ship at least 4 of them across the country, I'll let everyone know how that one works out over the next month.

Bah, I apologize, I meant four speed manual... I wish it was an auto. My bad...

I can get a few pictures up soon though, and you can see what it looks like yourself. It wasn't stock when I bought it though, but the paperwork says '70.

Wayno: Sounds good... Let me know what you find out. If they're under $500, I'd be interested. If they're $350, like your previous ones, I'm definitely interested. On the other hand, if you ever decide to sell off a couple of your used ones, I wouldn't mind grabbing one from you... I've got a spare seal, so I'm going to try to get someone to swap the windshield from the '70 cab to the '72, once I get it cleaned up.

Sander's Repro Glass

Got mine brand new from the midwest just a few months back~ still had 16 in stock. If you do a search for Pilkington Glass you'll find their contact info posted here, somewhere in the 521's~ I just don't remember which thread it was in....

Peace~

Scott

Got mine brand new from the midwest just a few months back~ still had 16 in stock. If you do a search for Pilkington Glass you'll find their contact info posted here, somewhere in the 521's~ I just don't remember which thread it was in....

Peace~

Scott

This would probably be the best route to go if they have them in stock, unless they are extremely expensive. wayno

Sander's Repro Glass

I went there this afternoon, they don't cut curved glass at all, they send it out to someone else, they do flat glass, I told them what I was paying for the 320 windshields, and one of them said it was high, while another said it was a good deal as he didn't hear what the other guy said. I also asked about shipping, beleave me, nobody on ratsun wants to hear what they charge to ship glass, I will figure something out to ship the four 320 windshields I have to ship, but I don't plan on getting good at it. wayno